Polaris ATV Forum banner

2002 Polaris Magnum 325 4x4 Maintenance

38K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  FirehawkZ71 
#1 ·
We just bought this Magnum 325 4x4 from an auction a few weeks ago. It was beside a fire and we got it for a good price in comparison to what they are selling for locally. We bought some used plastics for it from a camo Sportsman which we were probably going to do anyways since we weren't a big fan of the Captain America theme.

We're also going to do the maintenance on it. The maintenance is where I have the questions. I searched around for a service manual with no luck (for a free one). I found the Polaris fluid guide that is on here listing all of the fluids such as Demand, Angle and such. The problem with that chart is it doesn't have all of the fluids I need and one of the fluids on there isn't one I have (I don't remember seeing it on the shelf but I could be wrong). The fluids and maintenance items I bought are:

-2 quarts PS-4 Plus
-1 quart AGL Plus
-1 quart Angle Drive
-1 quart Demand Drive Plus
-oil filter
-fuel filter
-air filter
-spark plugs (1 for spare)

I was about to start draining the fluids and then I decided to quickly Google if there is anything special about fluid changes on Polaris. I'm glad I did. I found contradictory information so hopefully someone with a Magnum or someone that knows will help out.

For the front hub fluid do I use Demand Drive??? The procedure I'm going to do is take off the 3 cover bolts and drain everything out. Then I'm going to fill the fluid up about half way and then let the excess drain out while holding the fill hole at the 4 or 8 O'clock position. Can somebody confirm this?

Which fluid do I use for the front differential??? Procedure for this will be to drain and fill until it comes out of the fill hole. Can somebody confirm this? I found somewhere where it said to fill 1 5/8 from the top of the fill hole. Not too sure though.

For the engine oil going to use PS-4 plus. Drain, change filter and fill to proper mark.

For transmission fluid I'm going to use AGL Plus. Drain out the bottom and fill until fluid comes out of the fill hole? Can somebody confirm this?

For the rear differential which fluid do I use??? Drain and fill until it comes out of the fill hole? Can someone confirm this?

Besides the 3 filters is there anything else I missed or that should be done? The quad drives and runs great. Can't get 4x4 to engage but I'll solder up the wires at the controls to see if that is the problem.

I'm planning on changing out all of the fluids tomorrow morning so if someone knows the answers please reply to this thread. If there are any questions let me know.

Some general pictures

See less See more
#3 ·
I own a 2002 magnum 325. I also have the manual for it, so if you have other questions I can try to help.

Transmission.....it lists Polaris Premium Synthetic gear case lube.
Front gear case...5 OZ 80-90 Lube
Rear gear case...10 OZ 80-90 Lube
Engine....1.9QT. 0W40W Synthetic engine Lube
Front Hubs (AWD) Demand Drive Hub Fluid

#4 ·
Your drain and fill methods sound correct.

I answered this for you in another thread, but here goes again:
Front hubs: Demand Drive
Frond diff: Angle Drive
Engine: PS4
Gearcase: AGL
Rear diff: Angle Drive

When it's finally time to do another oil change, you can save some $ and use a good synthetic 0w-40 like mobile 1, and a bosch 3323 oil filter.

Also give the belt a good inspection. Look for wear, cracks, glazing, or what's known as the "hourglass". That's where they clutches burn a curve into the sides of the belt. It wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and put on a new belt and keep the old one as a spare if it's showing some wear, but still in usable condition.

Check out your u-joints on the prop shaft and drive shafts. If they're worn out, you can get replacements fairly cheap at Napa. You can also get a replacement donut gasket where the exhaust pipe meets the muffler there (if yours is bad).

Looks like you're going to get it together and it should be a great machine for you. Have fun.

#5 ·
Razorback, thanks for your help in this and the other thread. That's exactly what I needed to know. Much appreciated.

FirehawkZ71, if I run into any issues I will let you know. The biggest thing I was worried about was overfilling the diffs/transmission case. But as Razorback confirmed if it's just drain and fill until it comes out of the fill holes then that is very straightforward. For the hubs it's that 4/8 O'clock method.

#6 ·
Got to draining all of the fluids and doing all of the filters and the works. I took a few pictures here and there which I will post up in a few days.

I have a few issues with some vent hoses though. All of the thick vent hoses out of the diffs and tranny are okay. It's the small vent hoses such as the carb and gas tank that stump me. For the gas tank and carburetor the small vent hoses were cracked so I replaced the, no problem routing them the OEM route.The first issue was another small vent hose that vents down the steering shaft like the gas tank does that goes to nowhere on my quad. The hose runs from the steering shaft, down the left side of the quad and ends up near the back left side of the air box. It looks like it was connected to something at some point but I can't figure out where it goes to now. There are no visible nipples to be found. Refer to the pictures below.

The second issue is I have a spare large vent holder near the back swing arm. Is there another vent line I'm missing or are the hoses routed differently than what I have now? Again refer to the pictures below.

The two small hoses going into the steering shaft. one is for the gas tank the other is a mystery. Where does the small vent hose connect to that runs down the left side?

Back left side of the air box is visible and the left hand side frame.

The big vent hose holder which holds nothing at the moment.

#8 ·
I looked in the repair manual and couldn't find anything. My machine is at my Daughters so I won't be able to look on it until this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.