Polaris ATV Forum banner

Changing Transmission Fluid

68K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  fhedrickjr 
#1 ·
I'm going to change the transmission fluid in my 2002 Polaris Sportsman 400 some time this week. Does anyone know if there are any substances for the Polaris AGL synthetic. Can I use Valvoline CVT full synthetic transmission fluid instead? I know about the AMSOIL 2000, but I don't know who sells AMSOIL as far as places like Advanced Auto. I also can't over to the dealer until the weekend, so if anyone knows alternatives at the big stores like Advanced Auto or Napa let me know. Thanks in advance.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, some do.... the CVT transmission is only a gear box.... no wet clutches or anything to wory about, so in theory a good quality - propper weighted synthetic motor oil should work. But, I don't like to leave things to the "should work" category.....

I personally would stick with the recommended (Polaris AGL Fluid) or a known/suitable replacement (AMSOIL Synthetic Chaincase & Gear Oil).

#6 ·
Unknown..... If I had to choice between the Valv. CVT and a synthetic 5W30, I'd chose the synthetic. Or even beter yet .... I'd wait till I could get the right stuff.

Or how about AMSOIL TCC (2000 Series Chain & Gearcase Lube), which is considered a cross reference replacement??

But that's entirely your call to make.

#7 ·
The Polaris CVT is an external unit. What you're talking about with the Valvoline CVT fluid is for automotive purposes where the belt is an internal part that comes in contact with the fluid. Polaris' CVT is a dry external operation and therefore the transmission is basically all gears and chains so a sufficient synthetic oil will be fine.

#8 ·
I have a Sportman 800 and a 500, both are 2007's with about 2500 miles each. I just changed the motor oil and filter and thought I'd do the transmission and gear box fluids as well while they are off the trailer. I'm a long way from a Polaris dealer and I'd like to get this done today so my wife can have her garage back. What compatible fluid should I use for the transmissions and what should I use for the differentials? Do they both use the same fluids?

#11 ·
It sounds like these simple gear boxes must do fine on engine oil. It may be spring before we get to it but do plan to test how Universal Tractor Fluid (UTF) works for the transmission since we have in on hand and is one fluild the OEM maker of our front end Demand Drive specs. We are also going to run it in the rear and shot the temps with IR temperature gun.

Our UTF from TSC specs it can handle 1% water in the fluild which can be a plus for an ATV.

Traveller® Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid, 5 gal. - Tractor Supply Co.

While we know the fluilds Polaris rebrands is common over the counter fluilds I still expect for the hobby rider that is not into servicing farm and other heavy equipment with needed fluids setting in the service area it makes sense just to get the Polaris labeled fluids and be done with it. If you still have Polaris standing behind your machine to not use the Polaris labeled fluids would be less than smart I would think. :)

We currently have 5W-40 Rotella Synthetic motor oil in the Polaris because that is what we stock since it is good for the lawn mower and diesel tractors but plan to get a jug of Mobil 1 0W-50 racing motor oil due to the additative package since we have an oil cooled engine that can see 300F temps and that oil is good for 400F+ degrees.

0W-50 Racing Oil | Mobil 1 Racing™ 0W-50

#12 ·
I was just looking on another Polaris forum, trying to get an answer to the same question. In addition to the Universal fluid available at Tractor Supply, they also carry Mystik JT-5. A couple people on that forum said they did the research, and, the Mystic JT-5 fills the bill. Nice to know. Here is a quote from their website:

"Mystik® JT-5 Trans Hydraulic Fluid delivers excellent performance in modern agricultural equipment and exceeds requirements of John Deere J20C.
•Offers outstanding gear wear protection, brake chatter control and oxidation resistance
•Particularly well suited for hard working applications where an added level of protection is desired
•Excellent filterability characteristics along with rust corrosion inhibitors, water tolerance, and wide temperature range performance
•2 gal."

Mystik® JT-5 Trans Hydraulic Fluid, 2 gal. - Tractor Supply Co.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.