Polaris ATV Forum banner

sportsman 500 not getting fuel to carb

23K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  odie22 
#1 ·
hello all! having a problem with my 02 sportsman 500ho. heres the story. guy i got it from let it sit outside for 2 years. if i spray
starting fluid into the carb it will fire but when the fuel burns off it dies. before starting i changed all fluids and fuel. i also took off the 2 lines to the carb and when i crank the engine i get no fuel at all out of the lines. any ideas? could it be the distribution block under the left front tire? is there a fuel pump? any help is appreciated.. john

#2 ·
Is the fuel petcock turned on? On my 2010 there is a fuel on/off switch (petcock) under the cowl below the headlight. I don't know anything about the 02 model, but would think it is a gravity feed to the carb. I would pull the tank and fuel lines and make sure they are clean and clean out the carb since its been sitting for a long time. I would never spray starting fluid into the carb.
Just my .02

#3 ·
good advice !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.