Polaris ATV Forum banner

400 front axle problem

15K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  offroadster 
#1 ·
I'm new to this site. Lotsa good info! I tried the search functions but found no results I could use for this. My problem is; I have an 05 400, and I get a clicking sound from the front differential area when coasting on turns. I checked the cv joints and they're all tight. But, where the axle comes out of the differential case the axle will move up and down forward and back. I think the proper term would be "run out"...like maybe a bad bearing in the case??? I drained the oil and in the light it looked like dark metallic paint. does anyone know how much run out is okay on this? 1800 miles on the machine... Thanks, Jim

#2 ·
your cage is broke in the diff

#4 ·
Thanks guys. How difficult is that to repair? I see at the powersports warehouse the cage is about $168. I can see it will be pricey by the time I get a manual, gaskets/seals, oil and probably bearings. Anyone have an idea what would cause it to break? Don't wanna do that again!

#5 ·
its just a popos weak spot

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure I have this same problem. How hard would this be to repair? Please keep me updated on this. I jacked mine up in the front and the axles could move around out of the diff and I think that is also my problem. What all parts would I need, I have no manual?

Also, several of my friends have '01's to '04's and the said they are pretty sure theirs do this (and have for a while). What kind of problems would happen if I kept driving with this problem?

#7 ·
NickS,
Do a search on christpuncher, he did a thread where you can find the cage and related parts at the John Deere Equipment dealer for about half the price of the Polaris dealer. I think the John Deere units are made by Bombardier (CanAm) and they use the same front gear case as the Polaris. As far as running it that way, I'd say you're taking a chance on self destruct for the gear case at any time. If a single part breaks and circulates with the oil into the gears or assorted and sundry other stuff and.....
I've probably put a hundred or so miles on mine with the clicking sound with no catastophic results, but now that I know what it is, I'll park it until it's fixed. I'll be tearing into mine in the comming days and will post my findings here. Probably so you can learn by my mistakes. Jim

#8 ·
Ok, thanks. I've never worked on one before, but I may try. Let me know the difficulty. Sucks because I just bought this atv less than a week ago ('05 sportsman 400 4x4). It only has about 700 miles in it and 80 hrs. I gave $3000 for it, and don't know much about them, so didn't think much about it during test drive. Just browsing through the threads and found this one luckily because like I said, all of my friends said they think theirs do it too. So now I know the problem after looking around and seeing how common it is. Please keep this thread updated (maybe even with some pictures :wink1:)

#9 · (Edited)
On a scale from 1-10 I would rate the difficulty about a 4. With basic tools and a manual a handy person can re and re this in about 2-3 hrs! Takes me about 45 minutes now! Take it apart first before ordering anything I'll bet there isn't anything wrong with it! While you got it out change the u-joints on the front prop shaft, I bet that's where your noise is coming from!!

#10 ·
CP
I hope you are right. I aready changed the ujoints and checked/greased the yokes. Noise is still there and the output to the CV's have a lot more slop in them than my brother's. But I think you got the right idea on tear it down and check. I think what happened to mine is; I let a friend of my son (teenager)try it out, and he buried it in a mud hole in 2wd, and I think he engaged the front end under power:suspect:. That's when the noise started.

#12 ·
It might be the cage but the fact that the axle shaft are loose in the diff. has nothing to do with the diagnosis. I have an 04.5 and thought something was wrong with mine because of the loose axles and after tearing everything apart I realized that is just how they are. The male splined axles ends fit into the female splines of the diff and are held in there with a spring clip.

#14 ·
Problem resolved, CP and MM were right. The service guy at Polaris said the runout was normal for the 05s. I found a little slop in the output yoke on the front driveshaft. Guess that's the rattle...U-joints are new. I'm going to see what I can find for the yokes at some of the local agricultural implement dealers, maybe I'll check 6 states. I'll post if I find something. Thanks for the help and suggestions guy's...... Probably saved me a couple of C notes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.