Polaris ATV Forum banner

How to change coolant on a 02 sportsman 400

12K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  chillmouser 
#1 ·
hi,

I purchased a 02 sportsman 400 a couple days ago with very little use by the previous owner, the first ride i had with my son the temp light came on and it boiled over. So after investigating the problem i found that the temp sensor which was in the bottom of the radiator the wire was burned off. so I bought a new one and today i had put it on, so my question is? since the antifreeze was drained and new put back in, how do i get the air out of the hoses and system or will it work out by itself, im new to liquid cooled atv's. I afraid that i will kill the head gasket.....

thank you

any replies will be greatly appricated!!!!!!!

#3 ·
There is a lil air bleed bolt down by the water pump housing that you can remove while filling your cooling system, but that doesn't always completely get all the air out. Some people put the front wheels up on 12' blocks to help get the air while running at a fast idle also, it helps. I fill the cooling system put the cap on ,fill the resevoir ,let it run until the fan cycles or if temp. light comes on, shut it off ,wait a few minutes ,when the engine starts to cool it will start sucking the resevoir dry, refill the resevoir and radiator, start and run ,again, then you should good to go as far as being full. let the fan cycle a couple more times while watching the resevoir and coolant light. The cooling system only holds two quarts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.