Polaris ATV Forum banner

ATV for 12 year old

26K views 71 replies 16 participants last post by  thefourwheeledgod347 
#1 ·
when looking at ATVs they all had stickers on them for min. age

the youngest was 14 years old

is this something Polaris does? is this something the dealer does for legal reasons? or there a law regarding age and engine size?

i see posts of people letting their 12 year olds drive them......i know you can do whatever you want on your own land, but can a 12 year old drive a atv on a public trail(WI) ????

what im reading on line and what i saw at the dealer are 2 different things...id like to get my son his own atv...maybe a used 250...

also looking at dirt bikes for him.....but id think a atv would be safer and no clutch

thanks

#2 ·
Wisconsin law allows children under 12 to ride up to 90cc. 12 and over can ride any size as long as they have passed an approved atv safety certification course and MUST carry their card at all times. That being said, my kids have been riding since 3-4 years old. They started on 90's and finally just outgrew them. I bought each of them an old gen3 scrambler. My daughter is 10, 5'3", and 120#'s. She rides and handles her 500 scrammy IMO better than most of the adults we ride with. My son is 14, 5'6", and 130#'s. He rides his scrambler 400 like he stole it and IMO can out ride 95% of the adults we ride with. The stickers are there because of lawyers. I would never recommend allowing a child to operate a vehicle they are not familiar with or lack the experience for. My children wear full motocross gear head to toe and are not even allowed to start the engine without a helmet on. Aside of specific laws, the choice of size for atv is completely in the hands of responsible sensible parents.

#3 ·
so when you see the sticker on the side of a new Polaris saying NO ONE UNDER AGE 16 it is not a legal/ WI thing?....its just Polaris making a suggestion???

the Police wont pull him over and see he is too young???

i dont intend to put my son in a 570 other than put, putting around our land......but i would like to get him something more than a 170....something he can grow into to some degree....

i want him to be able to keep up with me.....since i have a touring (2 passenger) i wont be doing much crazy stuff anyways, so anything 350 and up should be able to keep up with me easily

#4 ·
If he's 12 or older and has the certificate, has 3" clearance between the seat and his crotch when standing, and has bend in his elbows she holding bars then he should not be hassled. Look up Wisconsin atv regulations for a full list of rules. If you feel comfortable getting him a 350 or larger then that's on you. I won't try to influence your decision with my opinion.

#5 ·
just dont want to get a 12 year old who is mature a 70cc toy.....i have no doubts he can handle a 350 and would be careful with it....and that the 350 would carry him into age 16+.....also would allow my 2 younger kids to use it for years to come as they get older (ages 8 and 10)

i looked at that RZR 170 at the dealership....rather get him straddling a bike and not a mini car

#6 ·
There are some odd rules in the WI regulations. Kids can't ride on a ATV route, but can on a trail... you have to pull them (trailer style) on the route to the trail head. Seems more dangerous than just having them ride on the route (road side).

#7 ·
I think its a fitment thing. Knee bent at 45 degrees, can turn stop to stop without moving around on the seat and the hand to the brake lever fit. Thats what it is in Oregon. The age thing is to cover there *ss thing. Im trying to figure that out with a 9yr old granddaughter thats a little bigger than your standard 9 yr old. Your mileage may vary in your state.

#8 ·
Twostarrz is correct. Look up Wisconsin atv regulations, and make your own decisions based on that. Don't try to get justification here for what you want to do. Every state has their own rules and laws about these things, and it's up to the individual to decide if they are going to follow the before mentioned. It's your child, and you are responsible for their safety.

#9 ·
I'd have to agree.... check your local rules, regulations and laws first. From there use your best discretion as to what is best for you and your child's safety.

The "No one under 16 yrs old" safety decals are just to 'protect you from you' and cover their own @ss from legal issues / ramifications later.... should tragedy strike!! So they have the claim that they "Clearly posted, it is not for use by anyone under 16".... to put the own-is on the owner, operator or guardian of the child and/or machine.

#11 ·
how big is your kid? is he a small 12? or is he a large 12? my step son could fit my Hawkeye at 12, and he will get it once I upgrade. and it will be plenty of machine for him for a while to come. the Hawkeye is a midsize machine. so stature wise it's smaller than the current line up of adult machines. So it's easier for younger people to handle, and the HP rating isn't substantial so it's tame enough for a novice rider, but can still get you through most things like a full size quad will.

#12 ·
signed my son up for an internet safety class to get his license

when i saw the big stickers on the ATV"s i assumed it was a State/Fed law...im used to big brother telling me what i cant do....so much so these days i assumed i had no choices...

glad to hear i have some options for him...

now looking for a good used 350 range machine.....

considering a DS250 (looks too small for him) or a Trx250x

found a left over 2014 Honda trx400x , but think thats a pure adult machine...thing is trying to find him something light so power steering isnt needed...but he is 145lbs....so he's a big kid for 12...looks 14+ physically

thanks for all your opinions and help!!!

#13 ·
I'd look for either a Honda Rancher 300-350 or a Polaris Sportsman / Hawkeye 300-400 mid sized chassis machines.

We allow our 10 years old son (whom is big for his age) to riding around on the 2005 Sportsman 400 (full size chassis) we have... and it is a hair to big for him, but he seems to be able to control it just fine, but fits on my dad's 350 Rancher ES perfectly!!! So by the time he can ride it on the trails or anywhere other then our private land in 2 years it should be perfect for him. So I hate to make another investment in a smaller atv now. But this is the basis for my above machine recommendation.

Good Luck & Enjoy the family time / sport together!!

#14 ·
IMO Look for a scrambler 500. It is "sporty", 4x4, and only around 500#'s. My kids really enjoy theirs.

#15 ·
The Honda 90 says 12yrs or older. I have a 6 yr old grandson riding mine. He does not get to ride solo yet I ride on the back to keep him out of trouble. When he outgrows this one I think I'll be looking at something along the lines of a 250x. If your 12yr old youth is responsible and has a cool head I think the 250x would be a solid choice. I would highly recommend a Tek Vest as well as a good helmet and eye protection.

#16 ·
Rite off my quad warning sticker, ~ ~ ~

"Riding this ATV if you are under the age of 16 increases your chance of severe injury or death"

"Never operate this ATV if you are under age 16" ~ ~ ~

This is in Az. ~ ~ ~ Forest rangers, dune patrol rangers, street cops, ~ ~ ~ they will stop u & give u a ticket, ~ ~ ~

It's your child, ~ ~ ~ it's your call, ~ ~ ~

In past 2 - yrs. a few, 4 under 16's have been in BAD crashes, ~ ~ ~ some died, some hurt real bad, ~ ~ ~ these are not toys, ~ ~ ~

Just saying ~ ~ ~ good luck

#17 ·
looking at a trx250ex....i like the idea of the no clutch shifting as he has no clue how to handle a clutch and it would be a good way to get him to understand it...i believe you have the option of doing a full normal clutch shift also....plus the price is pretty decent on this model..

i appreciate the advice and concern......i grew up w/o seat belts until i was age 19 and decided to put one on, i never had a bike helmet.....i never knew anyone who is brain dead from not using either.....sure something could happen bad with anything........always good to be cautious, but at some point it becomes over cautious.......i dont expect my son to be jumping 5' in the air at age 12.......just dont want to have to buy a new machine every 2 years as he out grows something small either....something in between is probably best for risk vs reward

#19 ·
At the risk of sounding like Thorshammer and his Hawkeye I will again recommend the scrambler 500. Pick up an older model for a couple grand. Has 4x4 and CVT.

#20 · (Edited)
2005 Polaris Scrambler 500, Union Grove WI - - ATVTrader.com

here's a 2005 nearby.......looks pretty beat, but the photo's arent too good either...

looked into the scrambler 500 and it seems like an interesting option......not $1,000....but i assume there's some room from $2700 also.....dont know the miles either

thanks for the advice...hadnt considered getting something as large as a 500cc

Nada puts the value between $1470-$1935 for retail.

#21 ·
I look on Craigslist all the time. Keep bouncing around the idea of selling my 500 and replacing it with a 4x4 400. I just like the performance and ease of maintenance of the 2 stroke vs the 4 stroke. I have one of each already and my kids always argue about who's is faster. The 500 is WAY more forgiving on the low end than the 400.

#22 ·
#26 ·
thank you!
i talked to the dealer with the 2005 and i dont think he wants to sell it to me because i told him it was for a 12 year old....he seemed to be angry at me when i told him who it was for.......told me 90cc is what my son should have and did not send me the pics and info he said he would(before i told him it was for a 12 year old)....maybe legally they are afraid

my son took 2 chapters out of the 6 needed to get his license tonight.....chapter to says 90cc until age 16.....find this silly.

i will have him test drive a Honda 250 2wd and see how he likes it....maybe 500 is over kill for his 1st atv.....he's going to be driving my 570 on our land to learn on....

#27 ·
If you were closer I would let you try our 500.

#29 ·
i have people saying 500cc and people saying 90cc......worlds apart on opinions here

to each his own though

and no, im definitely not out to get my son hurt....i am trying to save $$ and not buy new ATV's every 2 years though either........

the Honda 250 is probably the best mix and the direction i should move towards..

TWOSTARRZ---thanks for the offer..very kind.......

my son will be driving my 570 around my land...probably w/ me in the passenger seat......my land is flat.....trails are wide..........probably going to Bong Rec center(WI)....video's ive seen show flat/dirt trails.....another good place to get comfortable.....not planning on tossing him on a 500cc and walking away.....my son is afraid of new things...he's not a show off type.....i cant even get him to drive his bike down out driveway w/o the brakes(were on a 20-25% incline) ......im sure he'd be thrilled with a Honda TRZ 250X......and im sure 2wd while not perfect will do.....i do plan to use them in the winter on snow...not sure how the 2wd 250 will do on that...but knobby tires will help im sure.....im new to all of this stuff......feeling my way through it

id also like something i can ride too.....will a grown up fit on a trx 250x?......maybe my wife would like to drive the 570 touring and i can drive the 250

HiJacker---thanks for your advice and i see your point of view.....the whole industry is telling me 90cc.....but to me thats a joke....i get it for 8-10 year olds....but for a 12 year old to 15 year old 90cc isnt going to cut it.....and i doubt many choose that route.....i wasnt going to get my son a atv since i thought it was law w/ the 9u0cc....its just Polaris covering their *ss....which i get.....in my business i do it all the time too.....

#30 ·
~ ~ ~ My friend, my friend, ~ ~ ~ if something happens it W / be "NO JOKE" ! ! ! ~ ~ ~ W / see it all the time @ the dunes ~ ~ ~ and it is no "joke" ~ ~ ~ kids, people W / twisted, broken, legs, arms, being loaded in ambulance's, ~ ~ ~ ER here we come open the doors goddamn it we have a truck load ! ! ! !!! & the sad part is that some "don't make it" ~ ~ ~ to ride another day ! ~ ~ ~ you sound VERY inexperienced, ~ ~ ~ don't put the almighty $$$ above your kids safety, ~ ~ ~ and God forbid ~ ~ ~ something happen, ~ ~ ~ W / do you think he will lay the blame on W / he's dragging a leg, or arm the rest of his life ? ~ ~ ~ 90 cc for a 12 yr. is more than enough power & speed, ...
~ ~ ~ BTW, u have heard that ~ ~ ~ "speed kills" ?

#31 ·
I'd have to agree.... I too think 500 is a bit much. Especially if you look at a Scrambler (semi-sport quad), as some have mentioned! As a fellow atv enthusiast and parent, I can say a 300-400'ish (300 to 425-450cc) machine with 4X4 is more than plenty at that age. As he grows and desires more power, grow the machine with him. I stand by my recommendation of a 2000+ Honda Rancher 350 ES machine (thumb electric shift), or a 2004+ Polaris Hawkeye 300-400 4x4, Sportsman 400 4x4 Mid-size or Full-size (depending on the size of your son and the fit on the machine!!

This would be about perfect for another 2-4 years.... https://greenbay.craigslist.org/snw/5560063440.html

These would be great for many years to come.... https://appleton.craigslist.org/snw/5570538108.html

https://northernwi.craigslist.org/snd/5574041981.html

Good Luck!

#32 ·
Kids like to play and that is where an entry level sport quad like the 250x comes in. For utility the Honda Recon. Yes it will lack 4wd. Yes it will lack IRS. Yes it will be chain drive but he can learn to shift gears and will be air cooled simplicity and Honda reliability. Check oil, gas and go.

I have 2 grandsons now 3 and 6. We started the oldest at 5yrs old on the Honda 90 with an adult on the back. He runs in 2nd gear and does not shift. He is learning fast. I did let him run a short bit by himself under my close and watchful eye, but it will be some time before he has the skills to ride solo long term. I do feel that by the time he is 10-12 he will have outgrown the 90 and be ready for a 250, but that is fine his brother will be ready by then.

TEKVEST!

#34 · (Edited)
~ ~ ~ U can't beat the Recon, we bought ours new in 99, ~ ~ ~ great machine, "check oil,gas, and go" ~ ~ ~ we too have 2 - grandkids, they're in the Navy now ( damn W / did the time go ) ~ ~ ~ they were 11 & 13 W / they first sat on the Recon, in the back yard, W / me on the back and in 1st gear, put, put, around, ~ ~ ~ 1st Christmas after that, we got them a Honda 90cc one was not enough, so the parents had to buy the 2nd one, not me :) ~ ~ ~ they had a blast W / those, for about 4 yrs. in between we let them try the Recon 250 ~ ~ ~ and u know what they liked the 90cc better and got the shifting done quick, for awhile, then parents got a couple of 400's ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ I still say start W / a 90cc

My Recon is a shaft drive not a chain, ? ~ ~ ~ it's been a great quad, u can beat the shit out of a Honda & they come back for more ~ ~ ~ I know this is a Polaris forum ~ ~ ~ :laugh2:

~ ~ ~ Case in point, 2 yrs. ago I wrecked it pretty good, good thing I ALWAYS wear helmet got knocked out, ER, ankle twisted, concussion, banged up rite arm pretty good, blood everywhere lucky to be here ~ ~ ~ don't put a 12 yr. old on anything bigger then 90 cc ~ ~ ~ it kind of resembles a pretzel now, one wheel is pointed south, one north, racks are pushed down on fenders, handle bars looked like a BBQ weene, etc ~ ~ ~ but the damn thing just won't stop, it's a work horse now around yard, pull little trailer around 1 acre ~ ~ ~ :hand:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.