Polaris ATV Forum banner

Clutch Belt Good or Bad?

18K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Lancr735 
#1 ·
This is my first ATV (2011 Sportsman 400) and I'm not familiar with what a badly warn belt would look like. I know there's a lot of factors in how long a belt will last. I have apx 2000 KMS on it already. Mostly trails. No pulling loads. Always park/or stop in Neutral. I use low if ground speed is below 11kms/hr. I read the manual :)

Just wondering what you guys think. Is this belt worn or still good for a while? There are no warn marks or teeth missing on the belt. The clutches are smooth. There was just some fine belt dust in the clutch case.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The quad will creep while in gear and idle. Become hard to shift. Sometimes the belt will slip. Also the things you mentioned prior. As long as the belt was broken in properly it should last at least 3000 miles.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

#7 ·
The quad will creep while in gear and idle. Become hard to shift. Sometimes the belt will slip. Also the things you mentioned prior. As long as the belt was broken in properly it should last at least 3000 miles.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
heck mine does that with 'creeps' with a brand new aftermarket belt???
Thats why almost every one here says Pure Polaris Belts for replacement!

#5 ·
belt

Hi,this is Mike.Looks good to me also.Normally you will see the frays or wear.Especially if it gets burnt,as in thinner and wider in areas.If you feel a slight jerk like a pulsating rotor on a car that is a sign of it being burnt in one or more areas. Hope this helps,Mike:yahoocool:

#12 ·
Hi Thor,Mike here,I own a 2007 Polaris 500 HO LE. Where do I purchase the Hypermax belt?I never buy from Polaris.My factory belt went bad after about 25 miles when it was new.They said I SMOKED it.It caused a bad vibration only on deseleration after I went through a mud hole in LOW.The dealer went through the hole front end,differentional and all.Tore it all a part. Found the problem in the belt. They replaced it one time under warranty.I am very interested in your Carlisle belt.I have replaced the belt (3) time with no wear but probaley way to soon.Never had problems but didn' want to have none.Mine come from Factory Spect.# 30021035.I am a very aggresive rider. Lot of mud,Lot of water in the river and sand.I have a EPI 3200 rpm stall clutch kit in it and full after market exhaust ,3" lift .Had it too deap in water and had to pull the front in up to keep water out of factory snorkles.It's a good belt in my opinion but all ways looking for better products.Please reply Mike

#18 · (Edited)
HOW DO YOU TELL IF ITS TIME TO CHANGE THE BELT? This answer is for a uniformly worn out belt, NOT one that has been burnt or grooved in one area from locked wheels and mashing the throttle burning out a dish in one spot. The proper way is too measure the width of the top of the belt with dial caliper and replace it when its width gets down to the service limit dimension. Conicidentaly if you look at a new or still over the service limit width belt you will see its sides are angled BOTH bottom to top and a slight bevel also Top to about 1/8" down. When this top angle can be no longer seen because the bottom has worn its way up too it and is now flush with top of belt, ie the top angle is gone, the belt has reached its service limit and should be replaced. These types of belts are not only used on Polaris ATV's but in Industry on variable speed mechaincal drives of the old world of adustable speed drives were the rpm of the driver shaft remains the same but the sprocket sides can be manually tightened or lossened to change where the belt rides on the pulley and change ratio to the driven shaft. I have seen many of them in my years in Industrial Maintenance and that is the factory recomended way of telling if belt has reached the service limit dimension witout a caliper to measure it with

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.