Polaris ATV Forum banner

Mode/Reverse Override Switch

70K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  mykee 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

Can someone tell me what this switch is about? I understand the Mode selection for the odometer cluster but what does the Reverse Override switch really do? I don't notice any difference when backing...

#4 ·
the bike will come out of 4 wheel drive in reverse unless you hold the button down.if you put the bike in 4wd and then into reverse the indicator light will go out until you press the override.also the rev limiter is lower in reverse and the switch will also override that,this feature is good to know about if your stuck and trying to back out.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info...it really doesn't seem to say much in the owners manual that I downloaded from the internet. Sure do love the bike! Never had a Polaris and I was a little apprehensive at first because my son told me that Polaris was junk due to the rubber belt that apparently drives it. I've had an old Honda before that ran pretty good but never had a Polaris before. I think my son was smoking too much pot...you think?

#6 ·
Never had a Polaris and I was a little apprehensive at first because my son told me that Polaris was junk due to the rubber belt that apparently drives it. I think my son was smoking too much pot...you think?
Does your son like Harleys? They use a belt drive too.

I had one Polaris machine for ten years and never had to change the belt.

Mark

#9 ·
The reverse override is a safety feature to keep you from killing yourself in reverse. It cuts out the ignition if you get too fast and the 4x4 as well unless you press the button. The CVT transmission will run just as fast backwards as it will forward creating a dangerous condition and canceling the 4x4 is to keep you from backing up on an obstacle or incline and flipping over forward pinning you under the machine.

#11 ·
From the 550/850 Owner's Manual, Pg 24
Mode/Reverse Override Switch
This vehicle is equipped with a reverse speed limiter system. To gain
additional wheel speed while backing, release the throttle and depress
the override button.
WARNING! Pressing the override button while the throttle is open can cause
loss of control, which may result in serious injury or death. Always release the
throttle before pressing the override button.
The reverse override button also acts as a MODE button when held
down for approximately one half second. See the instrument cluster
information beginning on page 34. The transmission cannot be in
reverse when using the override button as a MODE button

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.