Polaris ATV Forum banner

1999 Magnum 500 (new to me)

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Bruce! 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a 99 magnum 500 and it seems to be in pretty good shape.
I am planning on doing some maintenance to it. Any assistance or tips would be welcomed as this is my first ATV. I did try doing search, but i was having issues with it.

1. Need to replace the pull rope as it is broken, going to cleat he Bendix as well as the starter hangs a bit sometimes when starting, and (very rarely) it will spin and not engage.

2. Going to change front hub oil. I read that Type F trans fluid will work

3. Need some info on the front diff > How to change, check and what to put in it. Will 75-90 gear oil work? I have plenty of that.

4. Transmission > How to change, check and what to put in it.

5. Does this ATV have a 4 wheel drive light to let you know if it is working or not when you slide the switch to AWD.

6. When the AWD switch is off, will it still engage if the rear tires slip?

I assume ill have more questions to follow later.
Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
Use demand drive fluid from Polaris in the hubs, it will thank you for it. (some have used synth ATF with success)

Many folks use synth 75-90 in the rear and front diffs, and synth 0w-40 in the oil tank and tranny.

I personally use Polaris fluids as I don't have to change them all that often and am willing to incur the minor added expense.

#3 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.