Polaris ATV Forum banner

Custom Rear Shock Mount

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Pduff 
#1 · (Edited)
This has been an idea of mine which I was able to complete yesterday with the help of a good mate.

For me this was to give a the rear end a lift to match the High Lifter HD front springs which I have installed. It would be a good option if you break the cast shock mounting point on the rear diff housing and didn't want to fork out for a whole new diff housing.

For the technically minded, the bridge is made from 50mm x 8mm flat bar which was cold bent into shape. The shock mounting point is a solid billet which is welded to the bridge with the shock mounted with a grade 8.8 bolt. You will see that on the left side the bridge is bolted to fabricated tab welded to swing arm assembly which allows the diff/axle assembly to be removed if required. The left side mount has a larger (100mm) foot print to prevent any vertical twisting of the bridge.

My mate is a qualified boiler maker who works in the marine industry and he is a real artist when it comes to fabricating and welding. I have no concerns what so ever that it might fail.

The end result is awesome, so much better than a commercial bold on option I had before. Its much stronger, cleaner looking and when painted will be hard for those who are not familiar with the original set up to pick as non standard. I took the pictures before painting so it was easier to see what we have done.

Now when I'm sitting on the bike it sits level rather than the rear end down pose it had before.

Like everything custom, these changes were made at my own risk. I won't be on selling the bike and should circumstances change, a cutting disk and grinder will return the bike to its original in short order.

Oh, almost forgot, bike is a 2001 Magnum 500 HDS

Enjoy

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.