3/4 ton Diesel 4x4 trucks - Polaris ATV Forum
Around The Garage Off-Topic Section. Anything and Everything!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

3/4 ton Diesel 4x4 trucks

ok. I'm in the market for a 3/4 ton Tow vehicle/daily driver. Long bed is a must as it will need to be able to hold two ATV's on the planned Diamond back Tonneau cover. I'm looking for practical advice one what you purchased and why you purchased it. My current leader is the 2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD. I'd look at the 2016 GMC/Chevy's but the '17's have 48 more HP and 145 more FPT. and the rebates really aren't that much better to look aside from the power increase. Prices wise I'm in the $50k-$55k range. And unfortunately the car payment that comes with it... But my current tow vehicle and soon to be daily driver (she's getting the commuter because I'm getting the travel trailer) is maxed out towing the Travel trailer, has 170k miles on it already, and can't take the ATV/s and the travel trailer at the same time. And half-ton trucks just don't give me the payload/towing capacity that I want to feel comfortable.

And lastly...

So don't forget to post pictures of yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GMCQuarter.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	70298   Click image for larger version

Name:	GMCSide.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	70306  

"There are no problems. There are only Solutions. It's your job to find the right one.

2007 Hawkeye 300 17HP of gutless glory
25" STI Black Diamond ATRs
Pure Polaris Deluxe front Brush guard
Pure Polaris hand guards
4" LED on the pod
8" LED light bar on the front bumper.
Tamarack Titan Luxury Lounger
Cabela's Chainsaw mount
Badlands 2500 lbs. winch w/remote and Kong winch saver.
Full Aluminum Skid plate and A-arm guards(custom built)
Pure Polaris Front rack extension
Quadworks Stage 1 power kit
  • K&N Highflow reusable filter
  • Quadworks highflow prefilter
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers

Towable/equipment
Custom built road drag grader

Future mods
Rear bumper/brush guard

Last edited by ThorsHammer; 02-10-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:32 AM
mvn
Polaris ATV Junkie!

I have owned a number of diesel 2500HD's since 2003. They include:

2003 GMC 2500HD SLE, crew cab short box 4X4, Duramax 6.6 LB7
2007 GMC 2500HD SLE, crew cab short box 4X4, Duramax 6.6 LBZ
2013 RAM 2500HD SLT, crew cab short box 4X4, Cummins 6.7 ISB (current)

Since 2003, power/torque numbers have continued to rise. I started at 300hp/600 lb.ft of torque with numbers now in excess of 400 hp and 900 lb.ft for the current stuff.

I was never disappointed with the GMC Duramax's. I was in the mood for a change back in 2013 and a great deal came my way on the RAM Cummins. In my opinion, there is a huge difference in drivability between the Duramax/Allison and Cummins/Mopar 68RFE. The RAM has a very disturbing trait called the "Dead Pedal Syndrome" where the truck does not accelerate as anticipated causing a pucker factor when pulling out into traffic. It just so happens that a driveability software update was installed on the truck today. We'll see if that helps. The Duramax's on the other hand were very responsive. Other issues with the RAM include a number of electrical gremlins, software bugs, frequent recalls, etc.

The RAM Cummins is a solid truck and is a great tow vehicle but I'm looking at replacing it with another Duramax this year. I love the responsiveness of the Duramax/Allison package and I find that the GMC trucks are much more refined.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160430_163117.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	70314  

2012 850HO Touring EPS Pearl White
27" ITP XTR radials on 14" ITP SS212 wheels
Ricochet skid plates & A-arm guards
Rubberdown 1 1/2" lift
Cecco frame braces
JC Capri bushings
Rotopax fuel packs on custom mounts
Garmin 60CSx with Ram mount
Polaris 2500# winch with synthetic rope
Polaris front & rear brush guards
Polaris bar & thumb heaters
Polaris passenger grip heaters
NGK (6043) ILZKAR7A10 plugs

Good, fast, cheap.....pick 2!

Last edited by mvn; 02-10-2017 at 09:36 AM.
post #3 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
First, let me wish you luck finding a new 3/4 ton diesel for $50-55K. The new one's are in the $65k and up range. I've seen a $74k price tag on some. I picked up my '09 about 4 years ago. 36k miles, and $7k below blue book. Just saying, don't get hung up on new trucks. The HP and torque numbers are impressive, but unless you are planning on pulling a 20,000 lb trailer...
My 365 HP, 660 ft-lb has zero problem pulling my set up at altitude.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7834Large_zps8536cbf9.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	70330  

2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn XT25, Iron Baltic HDPE Skid Plates (Mine)
2015 Sportsman 570 Touring EPS, 26" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on ITP Delta Steel wheels, Warn Vantage 3000, Warn Mid-Mount Plow (Wife's)

2011 XP 850 EPS (SOLD 3,600 miles), 28" Kenda Bearclaw HTR's on STI HD2 Wheels, Warn XT25, Ricochet Ultimate protection, Elka Stage 1 shocks, QSC clutch kit
2009 Sportsman 500 EFI HO (SOLD 2,600 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch, Cycle Country plow (Wife's)
2007 Sportsman 800 X2 (SOLD 2,500 miles), 26" Maxxis Bighorns, ITP Delta Steel wheels, Polaris 2,500 lb. winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx2 View Post
First, let me wish you luck finding a new 3/4 ton diesel for $50-55K. The new one's are in the $65k and up range. I've seen a $74k price tag on some. I picked up my '09 about 4 years ago. 36k miles, and $7k below blue book. Just saying, don't get hung up on new trucks. The HP and torque numbers are impressive, but unless you are planning on pulling a 20,000 lb trailer...
My 365 HP, 660 ft-lb has zero problem pulling my set up at altitude.
If I have to wait to get it, because the Dealership has to order it I will. but per the build/price section on GMC's website, I can get all the bells and whistles I need/want without the extra's that I don't want for just over $50k for the 2017 models. I "chatted" with someone from the website yesterday, and the truck I want, with the options I want is available, but I'd have to go 1500 miles to get it from Oklahoma if I wanted it today. Or I can have a local dealership order the specific model I want and weight 8-12 weeks for delivery from the factory. Either option is ok with me so long as I get what I'm looking for at a price I want. I'm looking for a "work truck" not a 4x4 luxury car.

"There are no problems. There are only Solutions. It's your job to find the right one.

Pure Polaris hand guards
4" LED on the pod
Cabela's Chainsaw mount
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers

Towable/equipment

Future mods
Rear bumper/brush guard
post #5 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:58 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

I purchased a Sierra 2500 for the purpose of hauling the ATV on the bed while towing a toy hauler with a RZR-4 inside.

The diamondback cover is very convenient and very well made. Only issue with it is getting the tailgate open or closed when it's loaded with the wheeler. I had to make a support brace for it. I have talked to other DB cover owners and they have also had to find similar solutions to the same issue. The cover does come with a sturdy set of 12' arched foldable ramps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20160609_190409118_HDR.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	70354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161231_160710711.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	70362  

2011 sportsman 800 efi
GURU front brush guard
GURU rear brush guard
Polaris front lock n ride cargo box
Polaris rear rack extender
Warn RT 3.0 winch w/amsteel synthetic line
Viper aluminum haus fairlead
Polaris front spring adjusters
Ricochet a-arm guards
Ricochet full frame skid plate
ITP T-7 beadlock 14" w/OMF inner rim guards
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x9 front
Maxxis big horn 2.0 26x11 rear
QSC clutch kit
EPI HD springs front n rear
ODI rogue 130mm grips
Ultraseal commercial grade tire sealant (front)
Highlifter tire sealant (rear)
CTEK 3300 battery maintainer
added 7 zerks
beefed up wiring harness
OGIO rear bag
ROTOPAX 1gal. + 2gal. gasoline can
Jccapri bushing kit
Kolpin Over Fenders
Rigid Industries E-Series 10" flood
Walker Evans struts
NGK Iridium's (2,500 miles on Champion's and they looked great!)
Odyssey Extreme battery PC545
post #6 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Not much experience here with the 3/4T chassis. Most of our trucks are 1T or 1.25T with a few on either side of that but powertrain is the same.

Running a mid size construction company. 22 vehicles on the road. Its a mix ranging from 2000 F-550 to 2016 3500HD with a lot of trucks in between.

We started out running all 7.3 power strokes. Great trucks! Still have a few on the road.
We had a couple 6.0's. What junk. I still have one in pieces.
Only bought one 6.4. Good power just totally unreliable. Worse than 6.0 which I didn't think would be possible.
Only bought one 6.7. Good running truck but it's been through 2 turbos and 1 motor in its first 80K miles. Got in a battle with the dealer/Ford on the last repair....worked in my favor but shouldn't have been a battle to begin with.

Got tired of dealing with Ford issues and tried Dodge. We have a 6.7 cummins and its a great truck. Nearing 100K miles on it now and zero problems.

Talked to a Chevy dealer a couple years ago about pricing and decided to try one out. Purchased one 6.6 duramax 3500 HD and really liked it. Ended up buying a couple more with the diesel and 3 with the vortec 6.0. So, 6 fairly new Chevy's in the fleet right now. So far, they have been great trucks with 1 exception. 2 out of 3 of my diesel units have had a reoccurring problem with the transfer pump (dual fuel tanks) failing. I'd have a crew stranded on the side of the road because the rear tank is empty but the front one is full.

My typical setup is a basic 3500 with A/T, DRW, 4WD, Crew cab, utility bed, and ladder rack. I can't comment on fancy options or whatever. All I can say is that as far as the powertrain goes, I happy with both Chevy and Dodge right now. I'm getting better pricing on Chevy so have been leaning that way.

Mike

Last edited by Mike_B; 02-10-2017 at 02:30 PM.
post #7 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx2 View Post
First, let me wish you luck finding a new 3/4 ton diesel for $50-55K. The new one's are in the $65k and up range. .
I think it depends on what you are looking for.

I've got quotes for 2016 Chevy and Dodge 3500's w/diesel for sub $60K. These are work trucks, as previously noted. Crew cab, 4wd, DRW, Class 5 hitch, RV plug, aluminum utility body, aluminum ladder rack, spare tire, Auto trans, PS/PB/AC, AM/FM radio.

Options add up fast and it is very easy to pay $70K for a truck.

Mike
post #8 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Legend

yeah, if you don't go for the bells and whistles the low 50K range is doable with the Duramax, Crew, Long bed, 4x4. but most guys have to suit the better half. I'll be buying without anyone else to tell me what I should or shouldn't get. so Work truck features are all I need.

Pure Polaris hand guards
4" LED on the pod
Cabela's Chainsaw mount
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers

Towable/equipment

Future mods
Rear bumper/brush guard
post #9 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:59 PM

i have an 05 duramax 3/4 and love the duramaxes.... id get a 2016 because that was the last year of the lml motor and is probably the most reliable seeing as they got most of the bugs out. the 2017s with the L5P is a brand new engine and i imagine brand new problems they dont know about... id never buy a first year motor especially a diesel
post #10 of 119 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

I have a 2015 Chevy 3/4 ton LTZ with the Duramax and it's one pulling beast. It rides well and will pull a small mountain. Now I know you live up west away from where most of these trucks get sent. I know my local dealerships have 20 some new 2017 Duramaxs and all wouldn't budge from the price. I got a good deal on mine and the sticker price was $65,000. But if I was you I would really look into buying from St Louis Area Buick & GMC Dealer | Laura Buick GMC , buy a plane ticket and and buy one of their 3/4 ton diesels. I will be looking at a new 2018 GMC Denali with the diesel and will probably buy one from them for the amount of money you can save. I have test drove a new 2017 with the new Duramax and it is a whole different beast then my motor, you can really feel the difference.

2015 Polaris Sportsman 1000 Touring
Bighorns
HandWarmers
TumbWarmers
2500 Winch

2015 Polaris Sportsman 850 SP- Sold
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 LE- Sold
2010 Polaris Sportsman 550- Sold
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500- Sold
1999 Polaris Sportsman 500- Sold
1997 Polaris Sportsman 330- Sold

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode