Harbor freight folding trailer anyone? - Polaris ATV Forum
Around The Garage Off-Topic Section. Anything and Everything!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Harbor freight folding trailer anyone?

I want a small trailer for my 17' sportsman 450 h.o. I'd like the option to take my jeep out and tow my quad and not always have to stuff it in the truck...that being said, I'm very seriously thinking about this little wonder...im having a hard time finding anything super negative about it. I've been reading reviews and it seems like they're gluttons for punishment....can anyone guide me in the right direction? I've only got one quad, and no plans to buy another, oh and I have a one car garage, so garage space is at a premium ...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:15 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
my neighbor has one he uses to with his little 4 banger wrangler. He seems to like it. I do remember him saying that until you go through the registering process and all of that it is def NOT cheaper than just buying a small unility trailer. Only plus side is the fold up for storage. hope that helped a little bit

*2015 Sportsman 570*
- Viking front brush guard
- 3 Headlight Mod
- Rear steel Tough Rack
- Kenda Bearclaw HTR's
- 12 inch Light bar up front
- Flush Mount LED Headlights
- LED light pods on Tough Rack for reverse lights
- QSC Clutch Kit
- Heated Hand Grips
- Heated Thumb Throttle
- Billet Aluminum Thumb Throttle
- Polaris Lock and Ride Rear Box
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:48 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Safety wired nuts a bit much but

When limited garage space dictates it seems like a good choice.

I would double nut all my bolts besides just the lock washers.

It seems nobody balances small tires & it can be a factor.

First ride:My brother's old Baja 500 entry sponsored by Bushmaster body corp. *not 1000 miles years ago....
Tubular frame buggy, Porsche jugs machined to VW block, " Pat Rutledge machinist" a VW bus close ratio transaxle & turning brakes.
My dad bought it for me to learn how to drive @ 10 & I been hooked ever since passing along the adrenaline to offspring for decades.LOL
Current rides:2015 570-a keeper 2016 570 X2-a keeper 2012 550 X2-selling Yamaha Grizzly-selling
Past rides:2008 800HO red Sportsman, sold. 2008 800 HO Sportsman X2 stolen. & pizzed 2009 RZRs, sold.
Too many scooters to mention so lets go with the rare ones I need to kick myself for parting with.
1979 Honda CBX filled with Ontario Motor Speedway parts, Yoshi 6 into one & gummy bear PZ2s on the street.
1979 Kawasaki Z1R-TC only 500 made 10.32 quarter mile stock. $4400. when new in 79.
Used one just sold for way over 100k... hindsight is 20/20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:49 AM
ATV Enthusiast

You can bubble balance them though....& should IMO

First ride:My brother's old Baja 500 entry sponsored by Bushmaster body corp. *not 1000 miles years ago....
Tubular frame buggy, Porsche jugs machined to VW block, " Pat Rutledge machinist" a VW bus close ratio transaxle & turning brakes.
My dad bought it for me to learn how to drive @ 10 & I been hooked ever since passing along the adrenaline to offspring for decades.LOL
Current rides:2015 570-a keeper 2016 570 X2-a keeper 2012 550 X2-selling Yamaha Grizzly-selling
Past rides:2008 800HO red Sportsman, sold. 2008 800 HO Sportsman X2 stolen. & pizzed 2009 RZRs, sold.
Too many scooters to mention so lets go with the rare ones I need to kick myself for parting with.
1979 Honda CBX filled with Ontario Motor Speedway parts, Yoshi 6 into one & gummy bear PZ2s on the street.
1979 Kawasaki Z1R-TC only 500 made 10.32 quarter mile stock. $4400. when new in 79.
Used one just sold for way over 100k... hindsight is 20/20
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:32 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Buddy bought one yrs ago, still uses it today, he never intended on folding it so he brought it over and welded the bolted joints to ensure itd stay together

2014 Sportsman 550 named "Chapter 7"
Lots of mods and add ons
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:53 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
I had the northern tool version for many years and used it as a single place sled trailer. Beat the heck out of it and used it regularly for long trips up to the north shore and it never gave me any problems. I know they suggest prior to using, you repack the bearings but that is about all you have to do to make it a good road worthy single place.

When in doubt, throttle out
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:40 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Garage
I've seen so many of those trailers dead on the side of the road I can't even count them. That being said. The majority of people that buy these don't have the funds to maintain them properly. Or just don't take care of their stuff in general. Personally not an option I would go with, but to each their own. I knew a guy that bought a single spot aluminum trailer for his quad. worked great for him.

"There are no problems. There are only Solutions. It's your job to find the right one.

2007 Hawkeye 300 17HP of gutless glory
25" STI Black Diamond ATRs
Pure Polaris Deluxe front Brush guard
Pure Polaris hand guards
4" LED on the pod
8" LED light bar on the front bumper.
Tamarack Titan Luxury Lounger
Cabela's Chainsaw mount
Badlands 2500 lbs. winch w/remote and Kong winch saver.
Full Aluminum Skid plate and A-arm guards(custom built)
Pure Polaris Front rack extension
Quadworks Stage 1 power kit
  • K&N Highflow reusable filter
  • Quadworks highflow prefilter
  • Dynojet kit
2" rear spring spacers

Towable/equipment
Custom built road drag grader

Future mods
Rear bumper/brush guard
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:54 AM

Garage
Good but limited....

I have one of these currently and it sits on the side yard most of the time. I prefer to put my Polaris in the back of my truck. My trailer has a flat deck built onto it so I feel like I need to use alot more straps to make sure I don't lose my quad. The other thing to consider is the bouncing around if you are taking your trailer off road at all to get to the recreation area you might be visiting. The only time I really like to use mine is if I am taking the quad a long distance and i need the bed of my truck for other gear. The trailer is pretty sturdy honestly but I agree for the cost, most people don't do a great job of maintaining them.

Todd
--------------------------------------------
2001 Polaris Trail Boss 325
1990 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 (Current Project Bike)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:56 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Garage
I have a single place floe aluminum trailer now, and agree it is much better but also over triple the cost and doesnt fold. I do like that it is a bit wider. There is some piece of mind there..

When in doubt, throttle out
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:48 PM
ATV Enthusiast

I bought one like it probably 15 years ago. At the time I had sedan and wanted to be able to get 4X8 sheets home. I put removable sides on it. I've move so much carp on the thing over the years I can't count. I repacked the bearings once and replaced the wheels. Maintenance doesn't cost much and besides, trailers in general get neglected no mater the type- boat, RV, utility, etc. Right now it's currently folded in the garage up north. My sportsman 570 fits perfect even with the sides on it. You can pull a pin and it pivots about the axle so you can back it off and drive it on. My only issue with it is I'd like to get a 4 seater SxS some day so 8 foot long won't be enough not to mention the width will be an issue. Great little trailer.

2015 Red Sportsman 570
Polaris 3500 lb winch
Kimpex Outback ATV Trunk with Seat
Polaris hand and thumb warmers
Battery Tender

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > Around The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode