Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Brakes & Suspension

ATV Brakes & Suspension Have a question about your brakes? Need some suspension advice? Try this section for answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 06:56 PM

Member #18588
Rear brake question

Wondering if this is a Polaris thing cause I don't remember my old Honda being like this. In order for me to stop using rear brakes I have to be standing and put all my weight down on the pedal. I can't even get it to slightly stop sitting down. I'm hoping this is something I can fix. My gut is telling me something is wrong and shouldn't be like this. Any help greatly appreciated.
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
The lines may need to be bled, the M/C seal might be bad, or the pads may be gone. Its hard to say over the internet.

With that said, the rear brake alone has very little stopping power too.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #22586
I think they just put it there for looks because mine is the same way. My hand brake works just fine.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
Not sure if the '06 is different, but on the 2010s the foot pedal for the rear brake (there is only 1) is only for additional stopping power. It is not intended to have enough force to stop a 800 lb machine. The handbrake applies all 3 brakes and should be used for all braking purposes. It's supposedly a safety thing, particularly when climbing uphill, to prevent someone from applying only the rear brakes and flipping over.
  • 25" GBC Spartacus, EPI Clutch Kit, Full Ricochet Armor, Polaris 2500 lb Winch Rear Box & Hand Guards, SuperATV Bumpers
Old 01-24-2012, 05:57 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #20681
I have a 2012 500 HO and foot brake locks up the wheels no problem.

I used to have this problem on my 2001 trailblazer when the pads were bare, and then after I put crappy pads on it.

I bought some EBC Severe duty pads for the trailblazer and it has never worked better.

FYI, if you have resistance on the foot pedal still, it probably does not need to be bled.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #22586
As far as my rear foot brake goes, never use it, never give it a thought, and I just don't see where it does much. For a long time it had air in the system and didn't even work at all and never missed it. I also ride motorcycle where you do most of your braking with the front brake and it is located in the same spot. I think that is the reason it is just natural for me to use the hand brake.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:17 PM

Member #18588
Thanks for the insight. I also thought the lines needed to be bled but that didnt change anything.I just felt like it should stop the machine a little easier than it does. Cause if I put all my weight into it, it will stop it immediately. Even on concrete. The tech at the local dealer said that the master cylinder is to small on that year and it takes more to push the fluid?? Does that sound right? If thats how its supposed to be then thats how its supposed be.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #20681
Not sure on the master cylinder size. A slightly larger piston in the master cylinder would make a big difference in performance though.

If yours is bled and has resistance, the pads are the biggest difference you will see.

I actually like to use my foot brake towards the end of the day going down hills (when my hand is too tired to brake anymore )
Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 PM

Member #21785
I have a 2006 Sportsman 500 that I bought new and the rear brake never did much of anything and I never got used to using it. Recently I got a 2012 Sportsman 500 but haven't rode it yet so we will soon see if that one is the same way.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #2821
I have bled and replaced pads on all my Polaris's and if I stomp on the rear brakes they will lock up but as stated none of them have what I would call confidence inspiring stopping power. The comment about Polaris making them weak on purpose is interesting and kinda makes sense. Using the hand lever the brakes work great.
04 Sportsman 700 efi black and silver, Big Gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Black Rock wheels,Polaris(warn) winch and plow, 2 inch receiver, Filtermag.
08 Sportsman 500 efi Browning camo, Big gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Polaris(warn) winch, Cycle Country plow, 2 inch receiver, Black rock wheels,Filtermag
00 Magnum 325 not very HO green, rolled, wrecked and rebuilt,heated grips and thumb warmer, Filtermag.
88 Yamaha Warrior 350 my first
88 Honda Foreman 350 takes care of the yard work
91 Suzuki DR 350 solves the urge to ride wheelies and catch big air
05 Kawasaki KLR 650 scratches the paved road itch
92&93 Indy 500 EFI SKSs takes care of the need to get away from home in the winter
04 Yerf Dog spiderbox buggy was supposed to be for the kids but I find I cant quit tinkering with it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Brakes & Suspension

Search tags for this page

2012 polaris sportsman rear brake pads

brakes on polaris sportsman

changing brakes on a 2011 polaris sportrsman 500

cobra quad rear brakes bleed down

how do i bleed brakes on polaris predator 500

how to bleed front brakes on polaris 500 ho

how to install a front brake line polaris 500 sportsman
how to install brakes on 2006 polaris predator

polaris predator 500 bleeder screw thread pitch

polaris trailblazer rear brake problem

rear brake bleeder for polaris sportsman 500
trouble bleeding rear brakes preditor 500
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.