Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Brakes & Suspension

ATV Brakes & Suspension Have a question about your brakes? Need some suspension advice? Try this section for answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 04:18 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #24765
how to stiffen up suspenison

i have a 2006 polaris sportsman 500 efi h.o and i want to be able to stiffen up all 4 of the shocks. can anyone tell me how thats done. are special tools required?

2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 efi H.O, 3000lb Viper Elite winch with remote, 27 inch STI Black Diamond XTR, 12" STI HD Alloy C7 Rims, Front and rear EPI Heavy Duty springs, Rhino front axles, Ricochet Front & Rear A-Arm Guards, Polaris front and rear bumpers, Kolpin hand guards, Front rack extender, Sportsman Rear Box w/seat lock & ride, 54" Light weight Eagle belly mount plow, Engine Ice, K&N Air Filter
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:22 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #23134
I know there are adjustments on the rears but not sure about the front. I added heavy duty springs to mine this week and now the ATV looks lifted and the suspension is definitely stiffer.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #18006
HD springs are truly the way to go.
There are adjusters on the back already which you can adjust with the proper spanner wrench.
There are aftermarket adjsuters you can buy and add to the front but you have to get the spring off to add them. If you're going to do that you may as well just drop HD springs on while you've got them off.
RotoPax 2+2 gallon Fuel Packs, EPI HD Springs (all 4 corners) 26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

HERS:2007 Sportsman 700 EFI Black Metallic
Tamarack Cargo Seat, Fender Guards with footpegs from Thor, UNI air filter, Symtec heated grips
Warn 2500 with synthetic rope, ThermoTec exhaust wrap, Reverse Override, 3 Headlight Mod
26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

Old 04-11-2012, 04:35 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #24765
thanks I am looking at HD springs from one of the site sponsers is it a big job or rather easy to replace? Can you give any insite on how to put new springs on? currently i have the whole end in pieces to replace the PDM box.

2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 efi H.O, 3000lb Viper Elite winch with remote, 27 inch STI Black Diamond XTR, 12" STI HD Alloy C7 Rims, Front and rear EPI Heavy Duty springs, Rhino front axles, Ricochet Front & Rear A-Arm Guards, Polaris front and rear bumpers, Kolpin hand guards, Front rack extender, Sportsman Rear Box w/seat lock & ride, 54" Light weight Eagle belly mount plow, Engine Ice, K&N Air Filter
Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #23134
I did it by myself in just over 2 hours with no real instructions. You'll need a spring compressor for the rears but the fronts are rather easy.

Rears - I took the rear wheels off. I dropped only the top on the left (non-exhaust side) and did it mounted to the bike. I'm removed the shock on the exhaust side, left the exhaust on, and just worked around it to get that shock off. All you need to do for the rears is compress the springs enough so that the top parts slides off and the spring comes right off.

Fronts - Take off the front box. Loosen the top nut to separate the shock from the the mount. Once separated jack up the front of the bike, remove the nut that holds the shock together, and take the spring off. The fronts took a lot less time.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #18006
If you're doing the front they are very easy. Especially if you've already got the front end apart. There is a retaining nut on top of the strut that you can remove with a wrench. Just hold the upper part of the strut with a wrench so it doesn't turn. Then you can remove the rest of the retainers and just slide the spring off the top and the new one on.
If you're trying to do the back, they are easier still, but require spring compressors. Just have to pull the bolts holding the top and bottom of the shock and pull the shock with the sping on it. Then compress the spring to get the retaining plate off the top. Slide the old spring off, the new one on. Compress the new spring and place the rataining plate back one. Release the compressors and put the spring/shock back in.
Rear springs take about 20 minutes each. Front ones maybe 30 minutes. Be glad you don't have an '04. Those took much longer on the front due to them not having the removable front box.
RotoPax 2+2 gallon Fuel Packs, EPI HD Springs (all 4 corners) 26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

Tamarack Cargo Seat, Fender Guards with footpegs from Thor, UNI air filter, Symtec heated grips
Warn 2500 with synthetic rope, ThermoTec exhaust wrap, Reverse Override, 3 Headlight Mod
26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #18006
Apparently cousin olaf tyoes faster than me. LOL

26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0

Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #23134
And apparently you know that "thing" on the top of the rear shocks is called a retainer plate LOL.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:54 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #23134
Ps. It took me longer to figure out how to take the front box off then it did to change the springs LOL. There are two screws underneath and two screws sunken down in little holes by the back locks. You also need to take off the cover and the pins/clips in the center of the box where you add antifreeze.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23200
you can use a pipe wrench to adjust the rear shock preload. I am ordering HD springs this week, as my ride as 250 miles on it, and I the front end wants to sag already...it pushes and dives something terrible in the corners when riding hard.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Brakes & Suspension

Search tags for this page

heavy duty atv shocks

how do i stiffen my springs on my fourwheeler?

how do i stiffen the front shocks on my polaris sportsman
how to stiffen polaris sportsman front
how to stiffen shocks on atv
how to stiffen springs on 500 sportsman polaris

how to stiffen suspension on a polaris 700

how to stiffen suspension on polaris ranger

how to stiffen the front suspension 2007 polaris ranger

how to stiffen up the suspension on a polaris 500

how to stiffin rear sportsman suspension

polaris sportsman heavy duty springs and shocks

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.