Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Brakes & Suspension

ATV Brakes & Suspension Have a question about your brakes? Need some suspension advice? Try this section for answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 03:38 PM

Member #11705
Bleeding Brakes

Having a problem bleeding the front and mid brakes on my 93 Big boss 6X6. I have cleaned all the lines, replaced the pads and installed a NEW master cylinder. I have tried the traditional method of pumping the master and bleeding each caliper, used a mity vac and also dropped a line into a bottle of brake fluid while using the traditional method, but still cannot get any pressure. I have the machine on blocks so I can rotate the tires.While turning the front tires I can apply the brake, but it goes all the way to the handlebar, but the brakes do stop the tires. I just cannot figure out why I don't have more brake pressure on the Master Cylinder. The right side,Rear brake works fine. Any thoughts and/or advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm lost on this one. I have been reading here and other places that bleeding the brakes on these machines can really be a problem
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:15 PM

Member #34208
I have the same problem help
Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #23647
I've had to reverse bleed sometimes if its air-locked. I've not had to do that to any Polaris units, but vehicles and other brands of atvs.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:57 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11982
Try leaving lid off of master cylider while you bleed.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #22054
On my '01 sportsman, there's an adjustment at the calipers to compensate for pad wear/caliper travel. Your caliper may be running out of travel.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

1" wheel spacers, 25" STI Black Diamond Tires, Front and rear storage with seat.

My other ride is a 2-stroke sport quad.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:44 AM

Member #46492
I hate to wake a sleeping bear but I have a '89 Big Boss 4x6 and I have the exact same issue. I got it used very cheap and has only 50 miles on it (was at a state park for 25yrs and was never used...). I had to blow crud out of all of the lines as they were clogged. Had to buy two new master cylinders (each handle) as they were both destroyed beyond economical repair. New pair of CHICOM MC's cost me $70 from eBay. Right side (rear) works excellent and has good pressure. The left side (fronts and gearbox brake) are very very weak with the handle pulled all the way back. With it up on a jack you can spin the front tires and squeezing the brake handle it will stop but I can still turn the tires with my hands. The gearbox caliper/brake isn't strong enough to stop the force of the new belt with the weak pressure. I have tried a MityVac to suck new fluid in. I have even replace the left MC with a different brand new unit. I even installed the old unit that I rigged back up -- no matter what, it has very weak hydraulic pressure. Air in the four-way manifold? Any good tricks? I though I read here that I should unhook the calipers and squeeze the pistons out farther, compress them then re-install and then test the brakes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Brakes & Suspension

Search tags for this page

02 polaris 700 how to bleed all brakes

2004 polaris 600 atv bleeding brakes
atv forum bleeding brake
back bleeding polaris atv brakes
bleed brakes on a1999 335 polaris

bleeding atv brakes

bleeding atv front brakes

bleeding polaris 6x6 brakes

brake bleeding polaris ranger
polaris 6x6 bleeding brakes

problem bleeding front brakes on atv

trouble bleeding front atv brakes
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.