How to- Strap for atv snowplow instead of rope or cable - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

How to- Strap for atv snowplow instead of rope or cable

Figured as often as this comes up, plus fact I had to hook plow up today for possible 2-4" of this white crap tonight/tomorrow I'd make a thread.

Atv snowplows are not nice, as most of us know, to steel cable on our winches. All of that weight working back and forth on the same 8" of cable begins to break the cable down/apart, it starts to fray, and eventually breaks the cable. So then you need some clamps and 1/4" ratchet to repair and get going again.

The new synthetic rope, while man's gift to those of us who use the winch alot for riding, really isn't upto par for atv snowplow lifting. Heat kills these ropes, and with all the weight of the plow, or weight of plow filled with snow in a bank, all that lifting pressure on the rope sliding over the hawse opening or roller places alot of friction on that contact point, which turns to heat, which breaks down the rope and eventually breaks it. Nice thing is a simple pocket knife gets you on your way again when it breaks, but breaking winch line while plowing is no fun, and even less fun if plowing either steel or rope breaks it down, but doesn't snap until your stuck and trying to recover your atv or your buddy...adds insult to injury so to speak.

Alot of us know using a 2" strap is the best scenerio, wide distribution of weight across the strap and so long as the hawse or the roller are in great shape, it will last for seasons without issue.

That being said, this is how to retain you winch use for times your not plowing and decide to drift bust, all because some guys actually unspool the rope/cable off their winch and remove it completely and just install a chunk of strap for plow duties. I don't like that since mines a worker, but also a toy, so quick change over is my preference.

I cut a good 4' chunk of 2" strap (boat winch trailer strap or in this case, I used a 6'×2" wide lifting sling cut to about 4'. Frees pool your winch and pull out about 5' of rope, then reengage winch selector from freespool to engaged. Match the end of the strap to the end of the winch hook.

I'll then grab hook end and strap end, and walk back the strap to keep them approximately the same length to find where I need to attach strap to the winch line. Be sure to put strap under the rope so strap will be in contact with the roller or hawse and not the rope, the rope at this point is just along for the ride. Now I just fold 1 corner of the strap end over the rope, then fold the opposit strap corner over that previously folded strap corner, then I use electrical tape to keep the strap folded onto itself and wrap with tape out onto the winch rope to temporarily tack it into position

At this point, I'll lightly hold the strap/rope combo and begin to reel it back onto the winch spool. Once it's on the spool and has a few wrap it'll hold itself strongly and you can really put some tension on it for final reeling in of rope/strap.

Last winters setup but couldn't find my strap, prolly find it tomorrow

Then your free to lift your plow to check your handy work

Now the best part, when your done working and want to have fun in the white stuff but still want to have a winch just in case, unspool rope, remove electrical tape/strap, reel.back in, have fun. Took longer to make this post than it does to do this, take about 5minutes total to strap up or about 1 minure to remove.

2014 Sportsman 550 named "Chapter 7"
Lots of mods and add ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 06:44 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

nice write up,i tried but doesn't work on my setup
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 06:47 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Thanks for the step by step. I was reading some old threads today and saw you mention this a while back. I am in central Indiana, some years we never need to plow some years we get a bunch of snow. I was planning just to use my steel cable since I don't think I will need the plow much. Seeing how simple this is I might go ahead and get a strap and do it just to be sure. I am sure now that I have an ATV, plow we won't get any measureable snow at all. Last year I only had to clear my drive one time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

I was hoping by getting my stuff ready it'd counter the weathmans prediction, but, woke up to snow on the ground and been snowing all morning at a good clip, wet snow, and won't stick to roads for long, but was hoping for a brown winter again

Lots of mods and add ons
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

I need to think about getting the strap on my machine as well

2012 550 EPS LE, Blue Fire
Cecco frame braces
JCCapri bushing kit
Maxxis BigHorns
Ricochet skid plates (full kit)
Polaris rear rack extender
Polaris front brush guard
Warn ProVantage 2.5k winch
AmSteel Blue synthetic winch rope
Custom billet hawse fairlead
Denali 60" mid mount plow
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 07:32 AM
ATV Enthusiast

So are you lifting with the winch hook? Basically you just put the strap under the wire so that it doesnt rub on itself? Or is the strap attached to the plow. Hard to tell. Black strap setup looks like winch hook is attached, yellow strap setup looks like the strap is the one lifting. Maybe Im just looking at it weird.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 08:41 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsome View Post
So are you lifting with the winch hook? Basically you just put the strap under the wire so that it doesnt rub on itself? Or is the strap attached to the plow. Hard to tell. Black strap setup looks like winch hook is attached, yellow strap setup looks like the strap is the one lifting. Maybe Im just looking at it weird.
The strap is attached to the plow, it is just wound on with the winch rope so the winch can be used if needed during trail riding.

2017 570 SP Hunter
28" Bearclaws
Polaris Glacier 60" Plow
Power Angle
Sander
Wireless Remote Winch
Polaris Winch Stop
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsome View Post
No....the winch rope is simply along for the ride. The strap is doing all the work. Read the text, it explains his thoughts a bit better than the pictures show.

2012 550 EPS LE, Blue Fire
Cecco frame braces
JCCapri bushing kit
Maxxis BigHorns
Ricochet skid plates (full kit)
Polaris rear rack extender
Polaris front brush guard
Warn ProVantage 2.5k winch
AmSteel Blue synthetic winch rope
Custom billet hawse fairlead
Denali 60" mid mount plow
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 09:04 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Got it now. Thanks guys.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Last yr I just electrical taped or zip tied actual winch hook to the strap so it didn't flop around.

This yr with the sling strap, I just hooked the winch hook into the strap loop to keep it from flopping around, but as mentioned, all lifting is by strap only, winch hook only by there because it has to be

Lots of mods and add ons

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode