Polaris ATV Forum banner

Break-In Oil Change to Soon?

22K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  Battle_Design 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Just got a brand new '16 850. Got about 25 miles on her now. I read some posts about people wishing they did there break in oil change sooner than 100 miles and I was curious if I should do it at 50 miles. Reason being is I am doing a hard break in to set them rings. I just want to keep the engine cleaned out from any metal debris sitting in there. Again a hard break in with some light pulls. I'm not beating the piss out of it. And anyone have any experience using Motul ATV oil and opinions about Amsoil? I'd like to try Motul because they are "supposedly" the best brand out there.

Opinions and/or comments to help a fellow rider

#3 ·
Oil/filters are relatively cheap, I'd do it at 20-25 miles too if I had a nice new machine like you guys! I do my old ones at 60-75 hrs still - both purr like a kitten. Luck and enjoy. :cowboy:

Reactions: faawrenchbndr
#11 ·
I did the exact same thing and I change oil every 25hrs from then on. I kinda like doing the maintenance stuff.

Reactions: Doc8404
#5 ·
If you do it at 50 miles, its not going to hurt anything. I would do it again at 100 though just to make sure there is nothing left in there.

#6 ·
Did mine at 250 miles.

#14 ·
I changed my engine oil at 10 and 25 hrs. At 50 hrs I changed all the power train fluids and filter. I continue to change the power train fluids and filter every 50 hrs.

#15 ·
I changed all the fluids on my new 570 at around 15 hours. That's all I had on it before winter got here and I wanted new fluids in it as I planned on plowing. Not that I am complaining but so far in Indiana we have only had one measureable snow and it was about 4 inches. Of course I plowed just to try it out but it took about 5 minutes and was no strain on the machine at all.
I plan on changing oil every 25 hours or once each year which ever comes first.

#17 ·
Mainly price. I use nothing but Polaris oils. I do use prestone antifreeze though, only non-polaris fluid I use.

#23 ·
When I do my 1st oil change at 10 hrs on both my 2017 Sportsman 450 H.O. & 570 EPS, I'll use the Polaris Oil Kit ($35 each shipped from Amazon).

I know I can go with Amsoil, Mobile 1, etc... and save a few buck but it's not going to kill me considering oil change for my Mercedes runs around $300+, Porshe Cayenne runs around $450, BMW runs around $160, Toyota Tundra runs around $70.

The amount of hrs I put on these bikes, I'll be changing oil about once a year (25 hrs/year), so $70/year after spending $11k on both bikes and another $2k on accessories (Wheels, Tires, Winch, LED Lights, Front & Rear Brush Guards, Hand Guards, Cargo Box, etc...) I can live with that. Besides a few vendors have 10% coupon and free shipping so $31.50 even better.

#22 · (Edited)
I got around 19hrs on mine now since Oct 19,2016 I watch a lot of you tube.
The drain bolt is magnetized and catches a lot of the metal shavings if not all another words you actually have 2 filters. I'm gonna change mine between 25 -30 hours probably in Spring. I picked up two Polaris Oil Change Kit for my machine, I'll do it again at 50 hrs. I bought mine basically for hunting. Dragging deer out woods is getting old.

I'm thinking the hours is more important than miles. IMHO

#25 ·
Most manufacturers recommend that you NOT use synthetic oil until after it is broken in. Some synthetic additives can prevent the rings from seating. I don't know what Polaris recommends for breakin oil, but it is probably in the manual. Regardless, I always change the initial breakin oil quickly on all my toys. 10-25 miles, or just a couple of hours, never over 50 miles or 5 hours, whichever comes first. This gets rid of the machining debris quickly before it can do any damage.

Then I replace with the OEM recommended "Breakin oil", or if nothing is recommended, a regular dinosaur oil of the correct viscosity with no resource conserving or energy conserving additives to finish the breakin period and let the rings seat. Then I will change it again at 100 miles, or 10 hours, or the manufacturers first recommended, whichever comes first. I will continue to use dinosaur oil until I am past the manufacturers recommended breakin period, and I am confident that the rings are seated, before I switch to synthetics.

I then use full synthetics which for me means Royal Purple 20W50. I will use Mobil 1 if I run out and forget to order the Royal Purple because it is sometimes hard to find locally in that viscosity. I do not use the Polaris oils because it is not as good and more expensive, which is a stupid combination.

I usually change my oil more often than the OEM mileage or hourly recommendations, but mostly because I don't put that many miles on my ATV or bike in a season.

#32 ·
If you ride hard do it sooner, do the trans and diffs too. Mine were silver sludge the first few changes.
Motul makes good stuff, not a fan of scamsoil.

#34 ·
I go by hours also because to me there's usually a lot of time where we're just idling and not moving plus is not like we're constantly going 40-50mph non-stop.

Even at idle the engine is still running which over time will add up the hrs.

I don't remember the last time I sat in my car/truck just idling other than at a red light ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.