Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 10:34 AM

Member #1506
Snow Plows - effective?

I have a fairly small driveway (4 cars long, 2 wide) and was considering a snow plow attachment to use in place of the walk-behind snow blower... not so much because the snow blower doesn't do it's job or is in need of replacement, but rather simply because I think it would be much more entertaining to fire up the ATV and have a practical use for it in the middle of the winter. (Especially considering I'm just purchasing my ATV now and won't be able to use it around here through hunting season)

I'm a bit doubtful after seeing some YouTube-style videos as to just how well this would work out for me though. Based on what I saw, it doesn't look like the plow is really heavy (?) enough to cut through the snow and get down to the pavement. My wife would be pretty upset with me if I were to go "shovel" only to have a sheet of compacted snow and ice form shortly after.

So can someone that has done this tell me - does it work and actually clear the driveway, or does it really just take the snow from a foot down to an inch still remaining, in a nicely compacted form?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:11 AM

Member #1620
I've had a plow on my '04 700 every since I bought it. The name escapes me at the moment, "glacier", maybe? I'm not sure. But, it's the one made for Polaris and pulls up nice and high with the winch in kind of a V-shaped bracket. You drive right up to it and it basically snaps on (with a little practice). Hook up the winch to raise it and your good to go. I've used it to plow 1 acre skating rinks on the lake I lived on and had great ice, plowed the driveway (down to the pavement) and plowed our 1/4 gravel mile road a couple of times as the county plows were a little to slow for us in the morning. I wish I there was a control for the direction of the blade, but a quick jump off and a pull of a lever sets into one of 5 positions. I haven't looked at the latest models much, so perhaps this is available now...

I've also used it in the summer to level off some class V (road gravel) for a patio and pushed around some new black dirt in the back yard. Even in the rough area under the trees, I used it to plow up the leaves. I just left the blade lightly on the ground so I wouldn't dig up what little grass there was. I wouldn't recommend that on a nice lawn though!

On my first, an older '96 sportsman 400, I had the standard type of plow with the hand operated lift. That was painful, didn't work well, and had a very low clearance. By the time I sold it, the bracket was bent pretty good. This last one doesn't show any sign of bending or warping yet and I've used it plenty.

Get it! It's a blast, and you won't be hesitating to get out of bed in the morning to get the snow off the driveway for your wife! Snowblowers and shovels work too, but you don't smile as much!

--Craig
Old 10-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
glacier is the name of the company that builds the plow set ups for polaris

they work great!!!!! takes some getting used to but once you get the technique down it will plow straight down to the pavement if you set the feet sliders behind the blade all the way up. the blade itself weight probably 50 or 60 lbs, so it is heavy enough.

the wear bars and sliders are both replaceable so you can get many years out of your plow.

and the glacier ones by far work the best
Old 10-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Supporting Vendor
Premium Member

Member #552
The glacier plow system is nice and works well.
Or if your like me just fire up your machine crank the handlebars to the left and mash the throttle wide open
and hang on. It only clears 1/2 the snow off the driveway but it sure makes for some great entertainment.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1234
yes, polaris's high lift setup is the way to go . i can drive mine up my ramps and into the back of my pick-up. and it is alot of fun pushin' snow but remember to not throw away your snow shovel just yet. some guys go a lil' wild when they start doing snow removal and buy too wide of a blade,48" seems about right and at full angle to the left or right i can still clean the sidewalks without cutting into the grass ......heavy wet snows might take a couple passes. you'll be amazed at how much snow you can push and how high you can make a pile.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:07 PM

Member #1705
i have a swisher plow it has been perfect for me i adjusted the skids ti cuts right down to the gravel no shoveling
Old 10-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #975
I have the Glacier plow and as said previously you can adjust the height. The plow works real well and will move a lot of snow quickly.
The only issue I have it is built a little weak so you have to be careful to not push too agressively.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:58 PM

Member #696
I have the V- plow on my machine and would definitely recommend it for several reasons:
1/when the snow is blown in by my garage door I can V back towards my machine to get through the deep snow without getting out the shovel;2/ I V- forward away from machine to pile the snow off to the side yard- Last winter the pile was around 13- 14 ft high@ the end of the snow season. 3/You can also straight blade and angle left or right.The glacier mount is awesome-quick on quick off
Old 11-13-2009, 10:08 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1566
I got the Glacier plow with 48" blade for my 500HO in 2004 and the first winter I made enough to pay for the plow by plowing snow for the neighbors. So yes, I would do it over again if it were me.
And it works great for landscapeing in the summer if you dont try to do to much.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1890
snow plow

Hello,

I have a cycle country state plow. Pricey - around $800 for everything including installation (ah, not including winch). Also good for moving dirt as for light landscaping and such.
Good quality.

A

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Tags
plow, removal, snow

Search tags for this page
are atv's effective in snow removal
diy automotive snow plow

do atv plows work well

do atv snow plows really work

do atv snow plows work

do plows on atv's work
does atv snow plwoing work
homemade atv winch mount
how do atv snow plows work
how to move gravel with atv

how well do atv plows work

snow plows diy
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.