Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 03:58 PM

Member #12783
Hand Grip Removal

Hey,
Just got new hand grips for my 06 Hawkeye 300, any tips on easy removal of the stock grips?

Thanks alot

2006 Polaris Hawkeye 300
2005 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200
2003 Yamaha Wave Runner FX1000
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11982
if you have an air compressor and a blow gun , blow in the small hole in the end of one grip, will push the other side off, if no hole, make one, after you get one side uise a rag , wrap around blow gun to fill the space in handle bar, blow the other side off
Old 03-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
as said, compressed air does the trick
Old 03-14-2011, 05:31 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #6220
Yep. You can put the new ones on the same way. I just had my wife hold her hand against the open side. Then I stuck the new grip on a little and blew compressed air in the new grip hole. Blew up like a balloon and slid right on. I didn't believe it was that easy until I tried it.
ATV-Guru Cobra bumpers, Polaris front and rear A-Arm protectors, heated hand and thumb grips, 3500lb winch, hand guards, gun scabbard, 3" passenger foot risers, Glacier III plow, HID Lights, Tiger Tail, 9" Windshield
Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
I have seen the compressed air trick and it does work... I cheated, 2 sec with a razor and mine peeled right off...

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Old 03-15-2011, 03:06 PM

Member #12783
Worked great, thanks guys!

2006 Polaris Hawkeye 300
2005 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200
2003 Yamaha Wave Runner FX1000
Old 03-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #2821
I worked 10 years at a bicycle shop through out high school and college. We were constantly taking grips on and off. Most of the time we used the air compressor trick but some times we came across some that were stuck and that didn't want to blow off. If you don't have an air compressor or you cant get them to blow off. Stick a small screw driver in between the bar and the grip and spray some window cleaner or some soap product down the gap made by screw driver. We would use a product called Schwinn bike polish but it was just a foaming soap product that wiped off easily. If we encountered a set that was really tough or else had been glued on we would squirt WD40 down the slot made with the screw driver. This would dissolve anything holding the grips on and you could slip them off. If you use WD40 or any other penetrating lubricant you need to clean the bars and old grips good or else the grips (either old or new) might not grip and will slip on the bars. We would install grips with the bike polish(soap product).Just spray a bunch into each grip. Slip them on and after a few minutes it would dry leaving the grips stuck to the bars. I recently installed hand warmers on both my 700 and 500. The grips blew right off and a little bit of foaming bike polish and they slipped back on over the heating elements and dried nicely.
04 Sportsman 700 efi black and silver, Big Gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Black Rock wheels,Polaris(warn) winch and plow, 2 inch receiver, Filtermag.
08 Sportsman 500 efi Browning camo, Big gun Evo exhaust and tuner,3 light mod,reverse override,bar and thumb warmers,Moose pregressors,Polaris(warn) winch, Cycle Country plow, 2 inch receiver, Black rock wheels,Filtermag
00 Magnum 325 not very HO green, rolled, wrecked and rebuilt,heated grips and thumb warmer, Filtermag.
88 Yamaha Warrior 350 my first
88 Honda Foreman 350 takes care of the yard work
91 Suzuki DR 350 solves the urge to ride wheelies and catch big air
05 Kawasaki KLR 650 scratches the paved road itch
92&93 Indy 500 EFI SKSs takes care of the need to get away from home in the winter
04 Yerf Dog spiderbox buggy was supposed to be for the kids but I find I cant quit tinkering with it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page
best way to remove atv hand grips
how to get grips off 2011 polaris sportsman

how to remove atv grips

how to remove atv hand grips

how to remove atv handlebar grips

how to remove hand grips from atv
remove atv hand grips
remove atv handgrips
remove handle bar grips from atv
remove handlebar grips from polaris x2
remove heated handle grips polaris sportsman 500
removing atv grips
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.