Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #12698
AWD vs 4x4

How do you AWD riders like it compared to if you ever had a 4x4? I had a Yamaha 400 BigBear, stick shift, 4x4. I knew when it was in 4x4 I would have all tires pulling. If I was climbing I did not have to wait until the AWD kicked in. The AWD always has the rear wheels pushing until they spin then the fronts activate. This is very noticabe when cornering on a gravel road and the rearend slides out, all wheels not pulling. I was going up a 50deg hill, well there goes the 25deg rule, when the AWD kicked in and pulled me to the left into a 2' root hole which caused the machine to raise up and roll. On other hills I've noticed that when the front wheels lock They pull it one way or the other. I'm just triing to get use to it.
Venom 5000 winch
KFI 60" plow
Will have Lots of deer blood
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #11247
I have not noticed any side pull when it activates. You will probably get that on the viscoloc set up where one front wheel is engaged before the other one kicks in.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7058
well actually your big bear and the polaris are both 4x4's neither are awd. AWD is when power is applied to all 4 wheels all the time with a single speed transfer case, 4x4 is a multi speed / selectable 4x4 or 4x2. I do notice when the front wheels engage that the machine pulls one way or the other ONLY when the bars are not 100% straight, which it should act this way. Or it may pull if something is worn out or to "tight" not allowing smooth rotation, check and see by putting the atv on jackstands and run it in 2wd then select 4x4 and press throttle, it should not pull the bar either way now.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #12698
Awd

The polaris are advertised as AWD and only the rear wheels are active in AWD mode, until rear spin is noticed. When the Yamaha was in 4x4 mode all wheels were active and it was hard to get sideways on gravel. This is a 2010 500, 280 miles so I don't believe I've any warn parts.
Venom 5000 winch
KFI 60" plow
Will have Lots of deer blood
Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioheader View Post
The polaris are advertised as AWD
yeah I know, not sure why they do that. I've also seen actual single speed tranfercase AWD's advertised as a "full time 4x4" which is wrong. I see what your saying about how your old atv was "locked in" no wheel spin needed, and I think the reasoning behind polaris not doing that is if left in 4x4 and it was locked then it would have un-needed strain on parts and be a lot harder to turn. Kinda like the chevys 4x4s with the atuotrac transfercases. You could put it in auto 4x4 and drive all around town in snowy or slick conditions and once the rear tires slip the front kicks in via a clutch but on a nice nice it would convert to 2wd until needed.

Last edited by bigt2317; 03-21-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #4649
I've never had any problems with mine. Never even know if it's engaged or not, other than the front tires slinging mud and rocks.
Front Brushguard
3 headlight mod
55w driving lights
Old 03-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #9342
I could really tell if mine was working properly on the snow covered lake this year. It was hard to tell if it was working just on a dirt road, but yes you could get it to slide around cornors just fine. If you took off in 6-8" of snow the rear end went down until the 4 wheel kicked in. Then away you went, no side pull at all. I also had it in 2wd and thought it was not working properly, until I noticed where the switch was. This got moved when I got off of my machine with my gloves on and I never noticed. Believe me you will never go nowhere, in 2wd, with 8" of snow and your rear wheels down to the ice pulling a fishing shanty. Also all 4 wheels pull... this is great compared to my friends Yamaha .
Polaris front soft case
Kolpin front rack
Kolpin handguards w/mirrors
Garmin 550 GPS W/Handlebar mount
Shark stereo w/250w amp
1 7/8 " ball/hitch
HID Headlights
3 Gal. Rotopax w/lock handle
Superwinch LT 2000.....

I Know, I know....Wimpy Winch, but I don't need much I ride a Polaris
Old 03-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #11247
Maybe they advertise it as AWD because there is no straight axle and at no point can the user cause the front wheels to lock in. If I understand it right, each wheel is actually getting power seperate of every other wheel. I dunno, just guessing.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 PM

Member #12954
Different air pressure in the two front tires can pull noticeably sideways in 4x4.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #7058
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniodef View Post
Maybe they advertise it as AWD because there is no straight axle and at no point can the user cause the front wheels to lock in. If I understand it right, each wheel is actually getting power seperate of every other wheel. I dunno, just guessing.
I think they advertise AWD because not many other atv's advertise as that, sets them "apart", even though they are wrong.

Each wheel does not get power seperate, the rear diff is locked, (unless turf mode) meaning that the back wheels will never move independantly from one another unless something is broken. Same with the front, locked completly, which is why it's harder to steer and bigger turning radius while in 4wd and front is engaged.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page
2wd vs 4wd atv
atv all wheel drive vs. 4x4
atv awd vs 4wd

atv awd vs 4x4

awd atv

awd quads
awd utv
awd vs 4x4 atv
polaris awd to 4x4

polaris awd vs 4x4

polaris awd vs yamaha
polaris sportsman 4x4 vs awd
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.