Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 07:12 AM

Member #10447
Can I ride on a bad cv joint?

The boot is torn on the rear left, and clicking. I'm assuming it's the joint, or the axle...either way, can I still ride on it, or will it leave me stranded? It's a 2009 850xp. thanks.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:27 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #13505
If it breaks when u are on the trails u will still have the other rear tire pulling. If its bad, its bad. I would let her got until it gets to making a little more noise than a click. IMO.
POLARIS 3500 SYNTHETIC WINCH
Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #12119
I had a tore boot on mine and it was clicking, I repacked the joint and replaced the boot 4 years ago. It still clicks but hasn't failed yet.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #1414
at least replace the boot,the cv joint will not last long with a torn boot,if you want the clicking gone replace the cv joint at the same time.clicking cv joint is a common polaris complaint.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:58 PM

Member #7106
To properly replace a boot (not using a split boot that's notorious for leaking) you need to dissasemble the joint. Might as well replace the joint while you're in that far.

The joint clicks because the ball cage is cracked. If the cage completely splits, it can spit the balls out of the race and you will loose the joint. Could happen now or years from now but sooner is more likely since the joint is running dry.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:48 PM

Member #14142
Do it right and replace the joint and boot.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:50 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esh View Post
To properly replace a boot (not using a split boot that's notorious for leaking) you need to dissasemble the joint. Might as well replace the joint while you're in that far.

The joint clicks because the ball cage is cracked. If the cage completely splits, it can spit the balls out of the race and you will loose the joint. Could happen now or years from now but sooner is more likely since the joint is running dry.
Mine was not cracked. When I had it disassembled I cleaned it and inspected it. I thought it would be ok, but now it clicks when backing up.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNW629 View Post
at least replace the boot,the cv joint will not last long with a torn boot,if you want the clicking gone replace the cv joint at the same time.clicking cv joint is a common Polaris complaint.
EXACTLY!!!

It's likely clicking form the loss of grease, if not tended to in a timely manor, it will wear and the clicking will remain regardless of grease.

You cane get "repair" boots that snap around the shaft while still in place. They are temporary or a "band-aid" but will keep you riding until you can correctly repair the shaft.

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal 12V plug. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:24 PM

Member #7106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveboys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esh View Post

Mine was not cracked. When I had it disassembled I cleaned it and inspected it. I thought it would be ok, but now it clicks when backing up.
Ok, should add a "Generally," to the beginning of my last post. It can also be caused by worn or missized balls/hub. I'd say 8.5/10 of the bad CV's I've pulled apart had a hairline split somewhere in the cage.

Is your's constantly clicking while backing up, or just one or two clunks? Might have some lash between the hubs and balls if it's clunking when first giving it gas.

I've found even new CV joints what I consider "worn" or mismatched from the factory and rebuilders. Should be able to pivot the joint in all direction freely with no binding or feeling of galling, but while holding the stub in one hand and the shaft in the other and trying to rotate against each other there should be no play at all.

My .02
Old 05-11-2011, 05:14 PM

Member #10447
Thanks for the replies - the verdict is we got STRANDED! The axle broke away from the joint about 2hrs in and we had to tow it back. My Polaris is 'adult ridden' and I ride gently. VERY disappointing with only 200miles on it, very...lesson learned.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page

atv cv joint clicking

bad cv joint polaris ranger

can you ride atv with cv joint broke

how do you tell if a rear or front cv joint has gone out on atv?
how long can u drive with a bad cv joint

how to tell when cv joints are bad atvs

is a torn cv boot on an atv bad

polairs sportsmans rear cv joint clicking

polaris atv how to tell which cv axle is clicking in the rear

rzr cv joint clicking

will a bad u joint hurt my atv

will it hurt anything to ride my arctic cat atv with a clicking axle joint

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.