Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #11247
What to get...2up or Razr

I got into ATVs because I got out of PWCs. They were very expensive and a short season in Michigan. I had 2 that I sold and bought my Sportsman. Now that I know I like it, I have been thinking of a second one for the wifey. I also have a 3 year old that loves to go on it. We go up north a lot and I think the sand dunes would be a blast.

I want a Razr for them. They have a new 570 Razr coming out, but dealers are still a month out from getting any. Those are 10k. The 800 Razr is only a little more, but Polaris has started making new engines for the SxSs so I am not confident they will be making the 800 much longer. The 570 actually is rated for faster acceleration.

But a Razr is pretty pricey and is defeating the purpose of me switching hobbies. It would also involve a large trailer, 7.5x14, that would be about another $2k. We are planning on me being the only bread winner when we have more kids so cost is a factor. But I will pay more if it involves me not regretting the decision.

I can pick up a 2up 500 for about 6-7k and a two place trailer for much cheaper than $2k. I prefer aluminum since I store the trailer outside, but the machines in my garage.

There is no used market for Razrs and resale is so high that buying used makes no sense to me. I found one used Razr for $8k, but it had a lot of miles and full armor so I am sure it had a rough life.

I use to be a performance addict, modding my toys to the max my budget allowed. Now I am just after "family fun". Priorities change. Anyone have any opinions? Anyone have a SxS and an ATV, what do you prefer?

Sent via Tapatalk
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
I am pondering the same things...

I bought the wife a Trail Boss as a test. I didn't want to outlay $$ just to see if she was gonna like it.. She likes going, but lacks the strength and confidence to drive herself. She will be a passenger and happy to be one.
I put a seat/box and foot pegs on my 700 for this last trip. She was OK, but still not perfectly comfortable. Even when driving in my Jeeps she is not 100% comfortable so I dont think its attainable for me, but she likes the idea of the RZR.
I have read that some people lost the feel of the ATV going to the RZR. I think this is a real issue for some. But for me, coming form 20+ years driving Jeeps over rocks, it would not be an issue for me.

I am seriously considering a std RZR to replace my beloved 700...

Time will tell...

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #11247
The regular Razr and the new 570 are the only two that are 50" wide, which is a requirement for ATV trails. Granted, you might never have an issue with the authorities, but I have been in enough trouble that it isn't worth the hassle for me .

I calculate my purchases carefully. It took me 3 or 4 months to pick my Sportsman. My last PWC took me almost a year because I was waiting for some issues to be worked out, like the 850XPs seem to be having. I might pick tomorrow, or it might be after Christmas. I have to feel confident before I drop this kind of coin. I made a hasty choice on a large purchase once, and ended up selling it off a year later at a loss.

It will ultimately come down to a test drive probably, I want her to enjoy whatever one. If she doesn't, then she won't want to ride. The strength issue does bother me, I don't want her to feel tired from an ATV. I am not sure if a Razr would feel easier or harder to steer. Power steering is too new and costs to much to repair for me to feel comfortable with it. After having high and low tech machines, there is something to be said for simplicity. Gas, air and spark alone is enough to trouble shoot. Nothing is worse than hitting a brick wall, just to find out you needed a software flash from a dealer to fix your problem.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
One of the riders in our group has a rzr and has been very satisfied. His wife comes along for almost all of the rides and seems pretty comfortable.

Check out his youtube channel if you get some time Roadiestar's Channel - YouTube Just wear earplugs or turn the volume down.

He pushes that thing to the limit and has done things I thought impossible. I just don't ride behind him anymore If I had to choose between 2 up and a rzr, I would go rzr. More comfortable, safer, and just as much fun IMO. I understand that the cost is much higher, but I think it is justifiable. I have said to my wife many times lately that when we're done with her car payment we're going to buy a rzr. Hopefully by then there will be a decent used market.
  • 25" GBC Spartacus, EPI Clutch Kit, Full Ricochet Armor, Polaris 2500 lb Winch Rear Box & Hand Guards, SuperATV Bumpers
Old 08-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #11247
Dang, Polaris is offering a $700 rebate on 2011 Trailboss/Trailblazer 330. They MSRP for $4300, so that makes it $3600. That is the size machine the wifey could handle I would think. I could then put a storage/seat on mine, but the legality of it might be an issue. I will have to look into that part.

I really like the Razr, but $10+fees+huge trailer is more than the cars I drive. If I could find a Razr for $6k, I would be all over it. I just cannot believe resale on ATVs. I will sure feel good when if I ever go to sell mine one day.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #6579
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniodef View Post
I really like the Razr, but $10+fees+huge trailer is more than the cars I drive. If I could find a Razr for $6k, I would be all over it. I just cannot believe resale on ATVs. I will sure feel good when if I ever go to sell mine one day.
That's what I'm up against... I went the Trail Boss route... Nice little machine and we will very likely keep it for a "extra".. This is when we ride we ride all day and cover about 100 miles. That's simply too much for my wife.

In order for me to justify the purchase it would include selling my 700 and have just the one machine...

If your still in the "lets see what works mode" Buy a used machine and see how it goes. That way the Loss is minimized if she doesn't like it or if you trade up to a better machine...

Just a thought.

CW
Running 26" Maxxis Big Horns on Crusher Black alloy rims, 1.25'' Spacers, EPI clutch kit W/spring mods, HD springs F&R, Moose front/Ricochet rear CV guards, Moose tank bag, Polaris rack extensions, Lock-N-Ride lo & hi windshields, Acerbis hand guards, CUSTOM mirrors & mounts . A 3000# Gorilla winch, W/Am-Steel blue synthetic line, running thru a winch saver and an aluminum fairleed. Thor's foot pegs and CUSTOM rear rack support frame. L&R WES seat box W/LED light & internal 12V plug. L&R Sportsman Box W/ internal multi 12V and USB plugs. CUSTOM front and rear mud flaps, CUSTOM dual side mounted 1.5 Gal Kolpin gas cans, Modified stock muffler with a rear exit & 800 air box lid W/UNI air filter, for better flow in & out.

Next mods: Thor fender flairs & 800 Head pipes.

CALL Thor @ www.TheATVSuperStore.com - 815-321-3888

Check out my ATV videos and please subscribe!! https://www.youtube.com/user/cwlongshot

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #282
Send a message via AIM to ray14sher
Do you want to ride or drive? That's the difference, tried a rzr, lost the thrill.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #9763
A razor will be my next purchase. I will not be getting rid of my atv, but the razor is more wife/kid friendly in my opinion. The price is definately a downside, but having the ability to have the wife ride along in comfort and a little bit more safety is worth it in my opinion.
29.5 S/W OUTLAWS ON ITP SS312
1.5" SPACERS
GORILLA REAR PROP SHAFT
GORILLA AXLES
SUPER ATV BILLET CAGE IN FRONT DIFF.
SUPER ATV ARMATURE
WELDED LOW GEAR IN TRANSMISSION
QUAD SHOP CUSTOMS CLUTCHING
TRIANGLE ATV STEALTH SNORKLE
TRIANGLE ATV REAR RACK PLATE WITH AMMO CANS
RIDE N'REST BACKREST W/FROSTY BEVERAGE HOLDER
K&N AIR FILTER
PURE POLARIS FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR RACK EXTENDERS
POLARIS 3500 WINCH

POLARIS OEM BELT
STOCK EXHAUST
Old 08-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #13773
where I live, Good luck finding trails to ride a rzr down.........the OPP dont care to much about 2 ups or doubling........but a rzr in a sense is a doon buggy...I could only imagine the field day the OPP would have giving tickets to rzr drivers..............and I think that is the difference too...Do you want to ride or drive....Personally I drive ALL DAY in traffic...Its a nice release to jump on my bike and ride it....the last thing I want is another steering wheel with pedals and a car like feel.

the dealers around me are selling rzr's for the same price I can buy a jeep...and the jeep goes on and off the road with AC..........doesn't make sense to me to drop almost 20 grand on a glorified doon buggy..

Last edited by skizmo; 08-22-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizmo View Post
where I live, Good luck finding trails to ride a rzr down.........but a rzr in a sense is a doon buggy...I could only imagine the field day the OPP would have giving tickets to rzr drivers
Sorry for the highjack, but in Ontario you can't ride rzr's without being ticketed? That sucks!

Where I go here in the States a recreational vehicle is anything intended for off highway recreation. They lump snowmobiles in with these as well and you can ride rzr's anywhere it's legal to ride any of the other OHRVs. There are a few places that are 2 wheels only but few and far between.
  • 25" GBC Spartacus, EPI Clutch Kit, Full Ricochet Armor, Polaris 2500 lb Winch Rear Box & Hand Guards, SuperATV Bumpers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page

polaris rzr 570 mpg

polaris rzr 570 vs sportsman 500 ho
polaris sportsman or razyr

rzr 570 mpg

rzr 570 vs sportsman
rzr 570 vs. sportsman 500
rzr vs atv

rzr vs sportsman

rzr vs sportsman guide
rzr vs sportsman\
sportsman touring vs rzr

sportsman vs rzr

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.