Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 05:35 AM

Member #2436
Angry 2 broken winch cables in 2 days plowing snow?????????

I just purchased a 2009 sportsman 850 with a Polaris snow plow and 2500 pound winch. The last time it snowed I broke the steel cable just plowing my neighbors driveway. I took it back to the dealer where I bought it because they needed to do the recall I got notice of before I even made 1 payment on the machine. I was told it was operator error and that the cable was bound up 25 feet in and was charged 1 hour labor just to remove it $84.00. It was then suggested that I needed to try the synthetic cable to which I was told after 5 days waiting, Polaris doesn't make one with an eyelet on the front of the cable and if that is what I want they would have to charge me another hours labor to weave the eyelet. So I bought a synthetic 4000 pound cable from Cabelas, installed it and began to plow and after about an hour broke that one in the same place about 6 inches from the hook. My theory is that when I hit a bigger snow bank and the plow folds forward that the entire plow and mount folds up under the machine breaking the cable. WTF I am about ready to drive it through the showroom floor window. Oh ya I also bent the plow mount down about 1/2 inch on one side already. Any advise or similar problems???
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
First off, welcome to the board!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:05 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1976
mount the cable to the plow frame not the blade ??
Old 12-27-2009, 12:28 PM

Member #2436
I have been hooking the plow up where the dealer had shown me, to an eye hook on the plow frame. And in the time I posted, weaved a new eyelet on the synthetic cable, and plowed for 20 minutes I broke it again. All three broke in the same place about 6 inches from the hook. I have raced motorcycles for over 12 years as well as wrenched on them and I know my mechanical aptitude is not in question. What gives? The only thing I can think of is when the blade catches a crack or something and the blade folds forward, the whole plow frame folds under my machine causing the cable to stretch and then eventually break. VERY VERY VERY FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #1986
I'm assuming that you have the Glacier II plow system, which isn't much IMHO.

However, it sounds like the plow is not set up correctly. Adjust the blade so that it is straight up and down in the front when it is on the ground and you are standing along side of it. Then, adjust the skids so the blade is just slightly off the ground.

To be honest, I have no use for any of the front mount plows. I went through a cheap Glacier II after about a half dozen uses. I now have an Eagle mid mount plow, and it's a beast!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:00 AM

Member #2436
North Branch you are correct I am using the Glacier II Maybe I'm not plowing fast enough to keep from the plow mount rotating under the machine.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:18 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #1986
I doubt that going faster will solve the issue. As a matter of fact, it will probably create more issues... like damaging the mount... etc. Besides, it should work fine at slow speeds.

Again, it sounds like the plow is "digging in" at an angle instead of gliding along the surface. As I said before, have a look at the angle of the blade when it's on the ground (standing along side it). There are two oblong bolts for adjusting the angle.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:08 PM

Member #2512
Bronco what recall notice did you get? I purchased my 850 in Feb have not received any recalls? Anyway the day I brought mine home I plowed one driveway. Then went to a second and on my last pass the cable broke. Brought it to the dealership and they said it was not under warrenty. They recommended I purchase the nylon/synthetic cable which was good up to 5000lbs. Since then I have had no problems. I will say getting the wire 2500lbs cable off was a chore as the cable broke through the layers.

Also (not to hijack your post) on the first driveway I somehow bent the arms of my plow so it now sits at an angle. I don't know I mayb be doing something wrong but I just don't move the amounts of snow that I think this thing should move. Our snow here in ND is mostly powder. Once it starts building up I bog down and stop. I am thinking maybe I need tire chains. The guy down the street has a much smaller machine and he moves all sorts of snow. He also does not have chains. Maybe I need to adjust my shocks or something?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:51 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #2126
If you don't have a roller flairhead for the winch cable then get one. It's not the final answer but will help your cable last longer.

I've been plowing snow in Alaska for over 20 years, with an ATV, and never had the blade roll under the machine. Don't know how long you have been plowing with an ATV but you ain't doing it right.

I think I've had the blade angle release about twice in all those years and those were from hitting small stumps or large rocks.

Adjust your speed depending of the weight of the snow. If the snow is heavy take a smaller bite (half to two-thirds of the blade). Keep your speed steady and as you get to the end of your run slowly lift the blade to spread the snow so you don't leave a large mound of snow. If you leave these large mounds you will finally run out of room. And when they thaw and then refreeze they are like cement and if you hit them at speed you will damage your plow or mount. If you spread the snow you will finally end up with a ramp like area and you can just keep pushing snow there for the entire winter.

And lastly do what the guy above said and check the angle of the blade and the depth of the skids. The skids should keep the blade off the ground about 1/2 inch.

Hope it helps. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:38 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1566
Im useing the same cable Ive had for 4 years! hooked the same way as you describe. Im at a loss, unless your cable is junk.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page

4wheeler plow cable keeps breaking

atv plow winch cable keeps breaking

atv snow plow adjustment

atv winch cable broke

cable keeps breaking on winch plowing

my winch cable came of hook to snow plow

polaris ranger glacier plow system keeps breaking

polaris snow plow cable breaking

what is the best cable hookup for atv snow plows

why does my winch cable keep breaking

winch cable breaking while plowing

winch cable on atv snapped in half

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.