Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Member #21011
Polaris vs. Can-Am.

Hi guys, New here from NH. I'm in the market for a new ride. Ive got it narrowed down to a Polaris XP2 or a Can-Am Max XT. I just spent a little time over at the Can-Am forum asking those guys thier opinions of the Polaris and the Can-Am. Of course you guys are Polaris fans and they were Can-Am fans, but I must say all of those guys had very good things to say about the Polaris. Most seem to say the Polaris suspension is a bit softer and Polaris bike is a bit more comfortable to ride. Most thought the fit and finish of the Can-Am was better. Also the Rotax motor was bullet proof and one of the best out there. Has anyone here gone from a Can-Am to a Polaris or have ridden some of each. What were your likes and dislikes? I know most of these things is completely subjective but its nice to see both sides and thier pluses and minuses from thier fans riders. Ive done lots of research and looked at a ton of videos on line. it seems Dirt Trax gives the Polaris an edge in the 2-up catagory. But they also speak very highly of the Can-Am technology and sportynesss. I currently ride an 05 Yamaha Kodiak, non EPS. i have never rode a Can-Am or Polaris.
Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #9763
I have never owned Can-am but almost everyone I ride with either owns a polaris or a canam. I have ridden both of the 2ups and the polaris does ride a little better than the can-am but the can am feels like it has better torque. I say go drive them both and see which one fits you better. Might want to take the wife or whoever you plan on having in the second seat along as well and see how well it fits them. In my opinion you wouldn't be dissapointed in either choice.
29.5 S/W OUTLAWS ON ITP SS312
1.5" SPACERS
GORILLA REAR PROP SHAFT
GORILLA AXLES
SUPER ATV BILLET CAGE IN FRONT DIFF.
SUPER ATV ARMATURE
WELDED LOW GEAR IN TRANSMISSION
QUAD SHOP CUSTOMS CLUTCHING
TRIANGLE ATV STEALTH SNORKLE
TRIANGLE ATV REAR RACK PLATE WITH AMMO CANS
RIDE N'REST BACKREST W/FROSTY BEVERAGE HOLDER
K&N AIR FILTER
PURE POLARIS FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS
POLARIS FRONT AND REAR RACK EXTENDERS
POLARIS 3500 WINCH

POLARIS OEM BELT
STOCK EXHAUST
Old 12-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #11247
They both have bullet proof engines.

One thing you should look into is the 4x4 systems. The two use very different ones.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
Hello neighbor to the north

I don't ride two-up, but have spent time in the seat of many Can-Ams and Polaris. Can-am is definitely more sporty and streamlined, and polaris is definitely more comfortable. I've got a friend who's owned 14 different quads in 2 years and 7 of them were Can-Ams. The reason is that he grew up on sport quads and likes that sporty feel better than "driving a couch" as he says. It's all about what suits you and your riding style considering they are very comprable models. I think lostcause gave you some good advice, try them both and take your passenger with you for additional feedback. Good Luck, maybe I'll see you out there since I ride predominantly in NH
  • 25" GBC Spartacus, EPI Clutch Kit, Full Ricochet Armor, Polaris 2500 lb Winch Rear Box & Hand Guards, SuperATV Bumpers
Old 12-02-2011, 01:10 PM

Member #21011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgirard420 View Post
Hello neighbor to the north

I don't ride two-up, but have spent time in the seat of many Can-Ams and Polaris. Can-am is definitely more sporty and streamlined, and polaris is definitely more comfortable. I've got a friend who's owned 14 different quads in 2 years and 7 of them were Can-Ams. The reason is that he grew up on sport quads and likes that sporty feel better than "driving a couch" as he says. It's all about what suits you and your riding style considering they are very comprable models. I think lostcause gave you some good advice, try them both and take your passenger with you for additional feedback. Good Luck, maybe I'll see you out there since I ride predominantly in NH
Thanks neighbor, where in NH do you ride? I'm fairly new and am on the look-out for trails. we went to Jericho last summer, that place was great!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Supporting Vendor
Premium Member

Member #1219
After testing both this was my choice. I have found that when riding the Can Am you are on top of it. When riding a XP you become a part of it! Any questions feel free to call the shop and ask for Thor!

Owner of Thor's TheATVSuperStore.com. Where we test what we sell and only sell the best!

2012 Sportsman 850XP Orange Madness. TheATVSuperStore.com lock and ride rear box, 60" American Eagle Plow w/ETS, Collett headsets, heated grips/thumb, shield, ATV Mirrors, 3 in 1 ATV hitch, RotoPax fuel pack built in front box, Orange Ricochet A Arm Guards, 26" STI Black Diamond XTR tires on HD3 Wheels, TheATVSuperStore Helmet & HID lights all from www.TheATVSuperStore.com
Old 12-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagsH2 View Post
Thanks neighbor, where in NH do you ride? I'm fairly new and am on the look-out for trails. we went to Jericho last summer, that place was great!
I ride mostly Pisgah SP/TriState ATV club trails, and Little Monadanock. It's only an hour and 40 minutes or so from RI which is great for day trips. I rode Jericho-->connector-->success last summer and it was by far the best riding I've ever done. Not techincally challenging but we rented a quad for my wife and we put on 130 miles in 2 days. I think we're going to do it again next summer.
  • 25" GBC Spartacus, EPI Clutch Kit, Full Ricochet Armor, Polaris 2500 lb Winch Rear Box & Hand Guards, SuperATV Bumpers
Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19703
well.. ill be honest here... i bought a polaris afew years ago and got another one just now -why ? well because im confident about it. in 3 years i have not had any problem at all. i rode maybe 3 can ams for a long period of time, winter, summer and in the spring.
i mean nothings bad about the can am but my preferences say polaris.
here are afew pros and cons.
polaris: smooth ride, amazing awd/4x4, lock and ride, look/design, and of course quality.
cons: the only thing i can think of is fuel consumption but i guess hey. gotta pay to play right? pus weight IF its an issue for you, but it wont be as the difference is small.
can am: pros: sporty, look, technologies .
cons: awd in SOME situations. quality, roughness.

now im not saying the can ams are bad but afew of my friends had way more problems than me.
ill be honest here. and give you a good comparison, the polaris x2/2up are like the cadilac pickup, confortable , classy, powerful.
the polaris xp/other models are like SUV, comfy , powerful, can do anything with them, they go everywhere.
can am: its like a AWD audi. i mean its FASTER than the polaris, it looks better to some, but when it comes to go offroad , youll be stuck more, and by the time you get there, you will be sore from every single bump on the road.
hope i helped.
-tool grips
-VIP air windshield
-safety flag (polaris)
-Glacier II plow system
-polaris front spring adjusters
-front hitch
-1700KM

2010 850 XP EPS
- 2500# polaris winch
- front and rear deluxe brush guards
- VIP air windshield
- Lock & Ride Wes seat from TheAtvSuperStore
-498KM
Old 12-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #2441
I think if I were to get another atv, I would seriously consider Canam. Now that I've owned 4 polaris atv's and an rzr, I know what parts wear out on them and the common problems they have. Suspension bushings, oil in airbox plus a few others. I know that the can am is way easier to hop up and make more power than polaris. Not to mention the can ams are lighter. At this point, I'm still polaris guy, I'd seriously consider another brand now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page
can am atv reliability
can am atv vs polaris
can am atv vs polaris atv
can am or polaris

can am vs polaris

can am vs polaris atv

can am vs polaris reliability
can-am vs polaris
is can am better than polaris

polaris vs can am

polaris vs can am atv

polaris vs can am reliability
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.