Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 AM

Member #21190
ATV Laws

Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen. I live in Tennessee where it is illegal to ride a 4 wheeler on any publicly maintained road except to cross it at a 90 degree angle. This is according to TN Code Annotated, Title 55. With that said, I was wondering who lives in states where you can ride on the street as long as you meet all safety criteria required by your state? In Tennessee you can register golf carts and mopeds as low or medium vehicles, and drive them on public roads that have certain speed limits posted. But not 4 wheelers. 4 wheelers are at least as road worthy as golf carts and much more so than mopeds. Seems a little unfair, especially if I wanted to run to kwik market 3/4 of a mile down the road to fuel up my Polaris 850 or pick up some milk, or go to my local park and boat ramp 1/2 a mile away and fish. Now I'm not talking about riding down the interstate at 65 or 70 mph, I'm talking about around the neighborhood, back roads, or secondary roads. How did your state manage to get their laws changed and how would you go about starting the process? I would be interested to hear your thoughts and advice. Thanks, Troy.
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #1726
PA is the same way
Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #11247
There are multiple counties in Michigan that have allowed ATVs to ride on county roads while following certain rules. They don't have jurisdiction over the state roads, so regardless of the county rule you still can't ride on the state roads.

It is in most of the northern counties in Michigan that get a lot of income from people who drive north every weekend to ride.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:55 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #1526
In my county in pa you are allowed to ride on township roads. Pretty much pointless though.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
I guess I'd say start with your governor or state reps. For instance, when I was in Montana, I say people driving RZRs and ATVs around the street like cars, stoplights, etc.

In Washington, you are not allowed at all. Mostly because anything with 4 wheels that can hit a certain speed must meet crash test requirements. An ATV has 4 wheels and can hit those speeds, but wouldn't meet those crash standards.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #9235
[QUOTE=blueline15;168365]I guess I'd say start with your governor or state reps. For instance, when I was in Montana, I say people driving RZRs and ATVs around the street like cars, stoplights, etc.

In Montana today the Forest Service requires you to be street legal to ride on a forest road. I had to add a rearview mirror and a horn to mine.Now I have the off-road sticker, and a license plate.
Blueline> you were here and didn't stop by for a beer??
GoldFinger left hand throttle
and other stuff...
Old 02-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsmanTroy View Post
I live in Tennessee where it is illegal to ride a 4 wheeler on any publicly maintained road except to cross it at a 90 degree angle.
Rhode Island is similar, but since there are no public legal riding areas in RI you would have to be on private property that spans a road. Oh yeah, and you have to register to ride on your own land. Just want to make sure you paid your taxes

I ride some places in New Hampshire that allow ATVs on the roads. The expectation is that you ride in the road (in the appropriate lane) at 25 mph unless posted lower. These roads are usually well marked and are typically regulated by the municipality, not the state.
  • 25" GBC Spartacus, EPI Clutch Kit, Full Ricochet Armor, Polaris 2500 lb Winch Rear Box & Hand Guards, SuperATV Bumpers
Old 02-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
[quote=Clinebo;168396]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueline15 View Post
I guess I'd say start with your governor or state reps. For instance, when I was in Montana, I say people driving RZRs and ATVs around the street like cars, stoplights, etc.

In Montana today the Forest Service requires you to be street legal to ride on a forest road. I had to add a rearview mirror and a horn to mine.Now I have the off-road sticker, and a license plate.
Blueline> you were here and didn't stop by for a beer??
I'm a born and raised Washingtonian, so I've been in Montana so very many times. I've stopped and stayed before.

I've driven I-90 so many times across your state. The RZR I saw was in Miles City.

Your state is too long, btw.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #23146
My local small town passed a city ordinance allowing golf carts a few years back. Then the ATV guys wanted in on it. They were allowed. Then all these 90cc Asian scooters started showing up. They were cheap, what the heck. Next mopeds and bigger scooters. And finally riding lawn mowers. Now its almost comical and a lot of people are getting fed up but they don't know what to do. They can't just go back and ban them all, there are a LOT of expensive golf carts around town. The old retired guys took their Harley expertise and tricked their carts out with six inch lifts and the whole nine yards. LOL
We can legally ride our quads on township roads around here also. But I've been doing that since I got my Magnum brand new back in '96. OOPS
Old 02-27-2012, 02:24 PM

Member #21899
Down state New york is really funny. You can not ride on any road, only cross at 90 degrees. In order to ride on your own property you must be registered and have a plate. Now if you wish to take it off of your property you must by law be insured. Yup you got it......... registered and insured but don't ride it on the road or your rig will be impounded
Just to keep some perspective. They were giving traffic tickets (including speeding) to bicyclists here and have been talking about requiring all bicycles to be registered also.

Last edited by SkipStr; 02-27-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page
are atvs street legal in tennessee

atv laws in tennessee

can i ride atv on township roads in ohio
can you make a four wheeler street legal i n tennessee

can you make a four wheeler street legal in tennessee

can you make a polaris rzr street legal in ohio
street legal atv tennessee
street legal rzr in tn

tennessee 4 wheeler laws

tennessee atv laws

tn laws on riding atvs on state roads
traffic laws for utv tennessee
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.