Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #23401
Communicating on the trail

I'm looking for some information to be able to communicate with other riders while I'm out riding. I was wanting something helmet mounted or at least an earpiece I can wear while I have my helmet on. I tried to use the search function but it came up empty when searching for communication, walkie talkie or trail talk.

So far I have seen the "Chatterbox" which is pricey $200+, and the midland GMRS radios with the headset and mic for around $60. (VOX) voice operated versus a (PTT) push to talk set up would be nice but I don't really have a problem using PTT. I just don't want a bunch of wires hanging all over the place and getting snagged going down the trail. The advantage of the Chatterbox is you get full duplex. So you can hear and talk at the same time. Main disadvantage is that it's expensive and everyone you want to talk to has to be willing to pony up the extra coin. For that reason I'm leaning toward the midland setup.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these setups or another setup that you would recommend?

Thanks!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011 Polaris XP 850 X2 LE, Polaris 3500HD Winch, Polaris Deluxe Front Brush Guard, ATV Guru Rear Bumper, Front Lock box, SS312 Wheels and 26" Zilla tires w/slime, Kolpin Fender Flares, Ricochet Ultimate Armor Kit,

2012 Polaris XP 550 EPS, Magnetic Metallic, Polaris 3500HD Winch, Polaris Deluxe Front and Rear Brush Guard, Front Lock box

2011 Polaris Phoenix 200 Red/Black
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #10066
I have used the midland Radios with the earpiece with vox. It actually worked well. My Dad rides with an open face helmet so his radio would activate due to the wind. There is a sensitivity setting for the vox so it takes some fine tuning, but all in all we were happy to be able to communicate while riding.
handguards
Warn XT25 winch
Ricochet arm guards(anodized black)
Polaris front & rear brushguards
LED tail lights www.autolumination.com
HID light kit http://www.theatvsuperstore.com/ATV-HID-Lights-s/54.htm
Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #9235
Give Thor a shout. He was telling me about a new line he has tested that was really good.
GoldFinger left hand throttle
and other stuff...
Old 05-23-2012, 05:00 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #24191
Thumbs up myself ad my riding partners use

midland brand 30mile fmrs radios with earpiece and and small wire for talking they work great and my boonie hat with stampede string works great for holding it in place as far as wires we just run the wire fr- ear talk piece inside our shirts and clip the radios to our pockets for some reason alot of folks around here run on channel 3 they work great for anywhere from 60 to 80 bucks you can get the recharger 2 radios and head sets
heated grips
customized muffler
heat wrap pipe
2 halogen beams
tamarack passenger pegs
HERS
99 350 Big Bear
14" SS wheels
ITP baja cross 26" tires
Kolpin fr.-Back bags
thumb throttle extender
custom exhaust
3" additional lights on front
Old 05-23-2012, 05:49 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #10336
We use the Chatterboxes, specifically the Bluetooth model. Things are great, I don't think I could ride without one again. We tried alternatives and ultimately just threw money away by not going straight to the Chatterboxes.

2014 Black Pearl Rzr XP 1K (stock for now)
Old 05-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #23647
We use fmrs radios with comfortable ear buds and push to talk mic's as well. I like the PTT mic's better than VOX as you get less "oh shoot and WOO-HOO!" chatter. They are handy to have for other uses and not dedicated to the helmets.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:10 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #17879
I've tried a couple of different vox set-ups. one was a midland and the other was a motorola. They both came with the mic,radio and earpiece. I just could adjust the sensitivity enough to get them to work well on atv's. The mics would stay on constantly after they were activated by our voices and due to engine sounds the mics had to be closed manually.

I finally went with this PTT set-up and it works great:
Amazon.com: Motocomm Magnum F14 Full-Face Communicator Headset - MC-554/--: Automotive Amazon.com: Motocomm Magnum F14 Full-Face Communicator Headset - MC-554/--: Automotive

I already had motorola walkies so, it was a pretty cheap solution for me.

The cables and the fact that the mic and earpiece are taped inside the helmet might be a drawback though. I ride with my son and when he gets stuck. I have to disconnect and reconnect often if it's a tough trail for his 90. Cables have never been snagged on branches or anything but, I have gotten off my quad a bunch of times and forgotten that I was still connected (no damage to the cables yet).

I may get a set like chatterbox in the future to shed the wires.
Pure Polaris Front Lock-N-Ride Storage Box
Powermadd Star Series Handguards w/mirrors
Provantage 60" Plow Kit
27" Mudlite XTR's
Warn XT-30

The Kid-
2011 Sportsman 90
Pure Polaris Front Brush guard
Old 05-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #23401
I guess the best solution would be to get the chatter boxes for riding and the fmrs for camp. Does the chatterbox use the fmrs frequencies or do they communicate by blue tooth? If they use the fmrs freqs that would be great. Blue tooth is very limited by range. Fmrs would be good to communicate with other riders who do not want to spend the extra cash.

I'm gonna have to do more homework on the capabilities of the chatterbox before I spend the money.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011 Polaris XP 850 X2 LE, Polaris 3500HD Winch, Polaris Deluxe Front Brush Guard, ATV Guru Rear Bumper, Front Lock box, SS312 Wheels and 26" Zilla tires w/slime, Kolpin Fender Flares, Ricochet Ultimate Armor Kit,

2012 Polaris XP 550 EPS, Magnetic Metallic, Polaris 3500HD Winch, Polaris Deluxe Front and Rear Brush Guard, Front Lock box

2011 Polaris Phoenix 200 Red/Black
Old 05-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23274
Hell, me and my buds just use the good old god given finger point method. Costs nothing,gets the idea across plenty good. Cheap too!
'96 Xplorer 300 Aftermarket CDI box, K&N filter, jet kit, reworked expansion chamber from dirt bike, 1" taller + 1" wider rear tires, dual wenches, Rack on rear/w cargo pac, polaris box on front, Mossy Oak cover on seat, back-up lights on rear, aux. power source for GPS,"Theft deturent's", hand protectors, new clutch springs coming! Would love to find GURU style bumpers! By the way, I'm also a graduate of AMI with over 20 years of motorcycle mechanical experiance. New to quads, but the same basic engines. 2 stroke or 4 stroke!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #12027
We bought the midland vox and had trouble with wind noise opening the mics. really didnt fiddle with the vox set up. The finger in the air works good if its not too dusty.
  • AME heated grips
  • UNI filter
  • Stock 26"PXT wheels
  • 3 headlight mod
  • 08 420Rancher ES
  • 2500# Mile Marker
  • ATV TECH rear bag
  • AME heated grips
  • UNI filter
  • 25"Power grips

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page

atv communication systems

atv communicator
atv rider communication

atv trail communication

atv walkie talkie communication

best radio for atv communication

collett headset speakers#gsc.tab
communicating on atv

communication

vertice on loud noise trail

walkie talkie helmet for atv
www.atv program 02.10.2013
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.