Tech support question of the week Sportsman 500 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Tech support question of the week Sportsman 500

I recently had a Compression release failure where the lever release blew a hole in the cover plate that it resides behind on my 2004 Sportsman 500 which caused a massive oil leak, luckily I was in my driveway when it happened so no other engine damage was caused due to lack of oil. I am interested in finding out if anyone has seen this problem before, and if so what could have caused this to happen. My dealer who I know and trust tells me he has never seen it before and I can't find any post on the subject. I have already had the problem fixed which required a new cam, rockers and several other misc. parts. So I am more curious than anything plus I thought I would share this with all of you for informational purposes. I have attached several pictures for your review. Thanks Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2450.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	248   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2451.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	249   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2452.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	250   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2456.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	251   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2458.jpg
Views:	1243
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	252  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

thanks for the detailed post. glad no further damage happened. 2.5 years parts and sales at a polaris dealer and i also have never seen this happen
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Blueline 15 thanks for the reply, looks like you are the only person who took the time to reply. I guess we are correct in our assumption that this is a rare issue. I have asked Polaris to comment on this topic as well, I will post thier reply if they decide I am worthy of a reply from them, cross your fingers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I have never seen it, so I didn't think I should reply. I have never seen it..

95 Magnum 425 4x4 , 518HO carb & air box, 12inch rear wheel conversion.

02 Magnum 500 RMK

If it ain't broke, I can't afford it!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I have attached Polaris Customer services lame replies to my question below, it's really pretty sad that they won't forward the question to the technical department. I love the product but Polaris really needs to work on customer service!!!!!

Question: I recently had a Compression release failure where the lever release blew a hole in the cover plate that it resides behind on my 2004 Sportsman 500 which caused a massive oil leak, luckily I was in my driveway when it happened so no other engine damage was caused due to lack of oil. I am interested in finding out if anyone has seen this problem before, and if so what could have caused this to happen. My dealer who I know and trust tells me he has never seen it before and I can't find any post on the subject. I have already had the problem fixed which required a new cam, rockers and several other misc. parts. So I am more curious than anything plus I thought I would share this with all of you for informational purposes. Thanks Craig

Polaris Reply #1

Thank you for contacting Polaris Industries with this information. We do apologize that you experienced this issue.

Your dealer will need to contact their dealer services to find what if there have been other issues like the one you experienced. Here in consumer services we do not have technical information regarding the machines. We will document you comments and concerns for future reference.

Consumer Services
Polaris Industries, Inc.

Question: I don’t understand why you can’t simply forward my question on to the proper department. I am not asking for Polaris to pay for the repair I am simply bringing an issue to Polaris Industries attention, one that seems very rare. I have been a Polaris fan for many years and have personally steered approx. 30 people to purchase Polaris ATV’s over other brands (no kidding). I don’t want to go through my dealer on this, I want to deal directly with Polaris, I don’t think that is too much to ask. You know Honda makes a pretty good Machine as well.
Respectfully
Craig

Polaris Reply #2

Thank you for contacting Polaris Industries.

The reason we referred you to your dealer is because they have the contact with the correct department. Where here in consumer services we do not. This would be a technical issue and our technical information is only available at our dealers. We did state we will document your information and concerns.

Again thank you for contacting.

Consumer Services
Polaris Industries, Inc.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

craig maybe you or someone can explain to us how this system lowers the compression...i imagine it only lowers it at slow cranking speeds as to not steal power higher in the rpm range
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

You are correct it only releases the compression at very low RPM's, the ball bearing on the cam rides on the lifter and the spring and counter weight work on centrifugal force so once the rpm's come up the ball bearing lowers allowing the valves to seat completely. At least that's my best guess on how it works.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

What is broken on the end of the camshaft? Looks to be a dowell. Is that the dowell that the timing chain hooks to?

2012 Sportsman 550 EPS Bronze Mist
2010 Sportsman 550 X2 Sage Green
2014 Sportsman 90 Sage Green
2006 Grizzly 125 Green
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Rooskey I have attempted to paste in a link to the exploded view of that part, if it does not show up go to babbits and look it up under intake and exhaust for the exploded view it should be part #15. No that is not what the timing chain hooks to it is purely for the compression release. 2004 Polaris A04CH50AQ SPORTSMAN 500 (A04CH50AO/AQ/AR/AS/AT/AV/AW/AX) Intake & Exhaust | Babbitts Polaris Parts House
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 01:41 PM

This just happened to mine yesterday...Uggg why would this happen???

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode