Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Member #18428
2011 850 XP EPS Power Steering

I know this has been beaten to death but I gotta ask... anyone having issues with EPS on this model where the problem has been the relay located under the left front fender. Apparently this is where it is since not all XP's are made with EPS so they didn't save room with all of the other relays up front.
Anyway, I hope this is the cause 'cuz if it's the EPS unit I will be driving 2 new units without EPS
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:33 PM

Member #18428
So... for what its worth I located the EPAS relays on my XP's and both were very dirty and corroded. Definitely the reason for my EPS issues. Thankfully I am replacing a couple of relays instead of $1200 EPS units.
For anyone else with similar issues... the relay is located taped or tywrapped to the wiring harness under the left front fender near the battery where it sees all kinds of dirt, water and whatever
Old 08-29-2012, 02:27 PM

Member #29522
Thumbs down sportsman 850 EPS is Garbage

I've had nothing but trouble with my 2011 sportsman 850 EPS. first ride and the machine was in the shop with an EPS failure. Dealer said it was fixed. Next ride out EPS failed again. Dealer said it was fixed again. Riding again this fall and again EPS failed. Dealer says that the connectors and unit have " debris" in it and it is not warrantied. Polaris complaint line is a joke. Polaristar exrended warranty is a scam! Now Im stuck with a $ 2500 repair.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:14 AM

Member #18428
Just got back from 3 days of great riding near Algonquin Park in Ontario (Algopnquin West Club). It was awesome w mixes of mud, water, rocks... and no EPS issues.
I have asked a few dealers around Ontario and they all say they haven't replaced any units since 2009 models. I would definitely look at the relay as the culprit... and for what it's worth I agree the Polaris help line not much help
Attached Thumbnails
2011 850 XP EPS Power Steering-img_0594.jpg  
Old 09-02-2012, 03:37 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #680
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterboy108 View Post
I've had nothing but trouble with my 2011 sportsman 850 EPS. first ride and the machine was in the shop with an EPS failure. Dealer said it was fixed. Next ride out EPS failed again. Dealer said it was fixed again. Riding again this fall and again EPS failed. Dealer says that the connectors and unit have " debris" in it and it is not warrantied. Polaris complaint line is a joke. Polaristar exrended warranty is a scam! Now Im stuck with a $ 2500 repair.
Might want to look into lemon laws in your state. I know here in MI, 3 warranty claims with same issue and the OEM has to reach the entire machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2012, 01:45 PM

Member #29834
poldaddy was that you I was talking to about the relay at silversands, had a small problem with mine the following day but seemed to fix itself for now.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Member #18428
hey fishcam
Yeah that was me you spoke to while my son and I were loading to leave for home. If you had an issue it won't go away as the more the relay pins corrode the worse the electrical contact until eventually the EPS just quits
I would clean and replace now and keep a spare on hand... the good thing is you can still ride and steering without EPS is not too bad
Old 11-17-2012, 02:35 PM

Member #21374
Power Steering Relay/s

You said the relay/s are located under the left front fender. Is that looking at the bike from the front or back? In other words, is it on the gas cap side, or the other side? Also, did you have to remove the complete fender to get to the relays?

Thanks in advance, Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poldaddy View Post
So... for what its worth I located the EPAS relays on my XP's and both were very dirty and corroded. Definitely the reason for my EPS issues. Thankfully I am replacing a couple of relays instead of $1200 EPS units.
For anyone else with similar issues... the relay is located taped or tywrapped to the wiring harness under the left front fender near the battery where it sees all kinds of dirt, water and whatever
Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Member #18428
Hi Ed

Relay is on gas cap side (or hand brake side...) and I didn't need to remove the fender for access. It can be accessed from the top once you remove the body panel below the headlight pod. If you do this then trace the wiring harness from the fuse box back towards the handle bars you will find the fan breaker and then below the pod you will find the EPS relay and base ty-wrapped to the harness
Hope that helps
Old 11-17-2012, 07:05 PM

Member #21374
Great, thanks a million!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page
eps
how to check power steering fluid on polaris ranger
polaris 850 power steering problems

polaris 850 xp power steering problems

polaris 850 xp power steering warning light

polaris power steering relay

polaris sportsman power steering electricity problems
power srearing light on polaris 850

sportsman 850 power steering light on

sportsman xp850 eps relay
where is the eps relay on a polaris sportsman
where is the power steering relay switch for 2011 polaris 550 eps
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.