Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 07:33 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #21421
Winch Parts...

I have a Polaris 2500lb. winch that I got with my 2012 Sportsman Back in October 2011. Back in July at Hatfield McCoy trails somebody let my cable get off to the side of the spool when spooling it back in for me.
I ordered my new synthetic winch line and fairlead and finally got around to installing it. I had to take the entire winch off to get the old cable out.
Anyway I then discovered that I had more issues. The free-spool knob is broke inside and 1 of the bushings is gone.
It isn't easy finding parts for these winches. The only place I could find parts was from Polaris parts on Polaris website. They have a diagram of the winch for both the 2500lb. and the 35oolb. winch. It seemed to be easy. I looked at the diagram and ordered the parts that I needed.
The parts cost me around $9 and the kicker is that it cost me $20 for shipping for a package that weighed 1/2lb. It took 2 weeks for me to get my parts and last night I discovered that all the parts are wrong.
The best thing I feel that I should do would maybe just take the whole winch to a Polaris dealer (preferrably the one I bought the ATV from) and ask them to order the right parts since I can't do it online myself.
I am very disappointed in Polaris for not making it easier to find the parts I need for a winch that isn't even a year old. It cost me $30. If I tried shipping the parts back for a $9 refund it would probably cost me more than $9 to ship and plus the trouble in doing it. So I guess I'm stuck with parts that I can't use.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:43 AM

Member #26256
I am in the same situation as you. Only parts I found on the net where at worldofpowersports. They only have a Polaris quick reference guide that is for 2010 to 11 so I'm not sure if the parts will even work? Hoping someone chimes in
2001 Honda Xr650r
Modified 40mm intake Manifold / Modified Side airbox
Full Big Gun Exhaust / Edelbrock Pumper Carb / Higher Rev CDI box / Wave Rotors / Ebc Brake Pads / Excel Hubs and Rims / Did chain / Renthal Sprocket
Upgraded Stator / IMS footpegs / XRSonly chainguide and case saver / XRSonly billet skid plate / 1.6 Radiator cap
Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #9235
Check with a local Warn dealer. If your winch was made by Warn for Polaris they will be able to fix you up.
GoldFinger left hand throttle
and other stuff...
Old 09-10-2012, 07:39 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #21421
Well I called the Polaris dealer today that I bought my ride from and was told that it wasn't too long ago that if your winch broke they couldn't order parts for it. You just had to buy a new winch. Now they can order parts. They told me to bring it in and they would order the parts. Since they are further away then another Polaris dealer I called the other dealer up to see if they would do the same thing and I was told no they can't order parts for winches.
Under the advise of Clinebo I called a local Warn dealer and he told me to bring the winch in and he would most likely have the parts I need in stock. So I guess I'm going to the Warn dealer tomorrow.
It shouldn't be this hard to find parts for the money we pay for these machines.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #9235
Hopefully the Warn dealer will get you fixed up.
and other stuff...
Old 09-10-2012, 06:17 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #18192
Please do let us know how you make out with the warn replacement parts for the newer polaris winches as i'm on my second one. The first was water damaged due to a poorly seated o-ring and I'm concerned for their durability.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #29979
I work on a lot of Polaris, from 2002 - 2007 models, when the Polaris winch goes out, we order the Warn 2.5ci 2500lb P/N 64500 winch Kit, has everything you need to replace it.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:26 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #21421
Well I struck out trying to find parts for my winch but since it was less than a year old I got a new winch under warranty. They gave me the exact same winch I had before so we will see how long this one last.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:20 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #21421
One thing I forgot to mention about my new winch that I got under warranty. I had to turn in my old winch of course. When I got home with my new winch I realized that it was missing the set screw that holds the cable in place. So yesterday I went to yet another Polaris dealer that is closer to my home and they didn't have the screw of course. I went to Home Depot and found the screw that I needed and installed my winch and new synthetic cable last night.
If Polaris is going to be in the business of selling winches then they need to get with the program. I will be sending them a complaint on this whole issue I've had.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #9235
You don't need a screw to hold the rope on. You lay the rope across the drum and spool the rope in over the tail.
and other stuff...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page
polaris 2500 winch diagram

polaris 2500 winch parts

polaris 2500 winch parts diagram

polaris 2500 winch parts diagrams
polaris 2500lb winch break down
polaris atv winch parts
polaris warn winch parts

polaris winch parts

polaris winch parts breakdown

polaris winch parts diagram

polaris winch parts list
polaris winch replacement parts
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.