Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 10:28 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #814
Question thinking about a 500 scrambler pro/con

I've been riding an '96 425 Magnum 4x4, auto, now for quite awhile. Considering buying a local 2005 500 Scrambler HO 4x4, auto. My Magnum runs and rides great, but I'm ready for a change. Just how much of a change I will get, positive or negative would be nice to know from someone who has had both and can give me some insight on the comparisons between the two. I ride trails and also dunes. Thanks for any input !
Krazy~
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #2620
I've been on both the 425 Magnum and the Scrambler there's a difference between the two.

The scrambler is a two stroke and fast, but it has smaller wheels and slightly lower ground clearance, still a lighter quad and easier to throw around.

The Magnum is a four stroke and solid, this has larger wheels and higher ground clearance, a heaver quad and doesn't slide around as much.

I perfere the Magnum, fits my style of riding and definitely pulls alot better than the Scrambler.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:41 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #3390
i got a 2000 scrambler 400 4x4 2 stroke and i love it. they go anywhere and have all the power you need. much sportier than a magnum and in my opinion alot funner to ride!!!! you will definently like it
Old 03-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #3440
i had an 01 scrambler, nice machine. I moved to a smoother and faster ride.

2010 Sportsman 850 XP EPS
2008 Sportsman 400 H.O.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #814
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenthere View Post
I've been on both the 425 Magnum and the Scrambler there's a difference between the two.

The scrambler is a two stroke and fast, but it has smaller wheels and slightly lower ground clearance, still a lighter quad and easier to throw around.

The Magnum is a four stroke and solid, this has larger wheels and higher ground clearance, a heaver quad and doesn't slide around as much.

I perfere the Magnum, fits my style of riding and definitely pulls alot better than the Scrambler.
Well one thing I learned from your post, is that the Scrambler is a 2 stroke, didn't think the 500cc was. I don't like mixing gas, so I guess I'll pass on it then :-((
Krazy~
Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenthere View Post

After I replied to your first post, I did a search on the 2005 500 Scrambler HO, and it states it's a 4 stroke. I wonder if they made both, 2 and 4 stroke? I wouldn't think they would, but never know about things...........
Krazy~
Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 AM

Member #3215
Talking

The 2005 Scrambler is a 4-stroke machine, NOT a 2 stroke. They did make 2-stroke 400 Scramblers back in the day, but not recently (I'm not sure exactly sure when they stopped.)

My buddy has an 05 500, and an 07 500 and I have an 08 500, all are excellent machines, gas a go. lighter weight and sportier than a full on utility quad such as the sportsman, but still with the benefit of selectable all wheel drive.

The only thing that you can tell different about his 05 from his 07 or my 08 is the fact the clutches have never been serviced, but even at that, the quad runs almost neck and neck with the newer ones, it's actually pretty surprising. Aside from that the only difference we have been able to see is the graphics packages.

if you want a good review of the scrambler 500, check out youtube, there is a very good video on there testing them out, very honest review.

I've never ridden a magnum, but if you want a sport 4x4, you cant go wrong with the 500 IMO.

Last edited by 94fordguy; 03-09-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #1234
the older ones had 400 2 strokes..........newer 500 4 strokes
you might like the 500 due to it's motor size ,quicker accelleration,but you might miss the ground clearance.
Also depends whether you tow or push snow,on the scrambler there is no low range.there's been a couple on craigslist,looking to trade for a utility. up to you
Old 03-10-2010, 11:30 AM

Member #3572
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazybob View Post
I've been riding an '96 425 Magnum 4x4, auto, now for quite awhile. Considering buying a local 2005 500 Scrambler HO 4x4, auto. My Magnum runs and rides great, but I'm ready for a change. Just how much of a change I will get, positive or negative would be nice to know from someone who has had both and can give me some insight on the comparisons between the two. I ride trails and also dunes. Thanks for any input !
Krazy~
The Scrambler is probably best described as a crossover between the utility and sport classes. The 4x4 Scrambler uses basically the same entire front suspension/driveline used in the earlier Sportsman, along with a chain drive rear. For a long time you had your choice between the 2s 400 and the 4s 500. I think 02 might have been the last year for the 2 stroke? The 400's are prized for their ability to be hopped up/piped, the 500's for their easy going manners, bullet proof motors. Nearly identical 2s vs.4s performance from stock machines. The machines are identical otherwise as well and available both 2x4 and 4x4.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:15 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #814
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHicks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazybob View Post
Krazy~
The Scrambler is probably best described as a crossover between the utility and sport classes. The 4x4 Scrambler uses basically the same entire front suspension/driveline used in the earlier Sportsman, along with a chain drive rear. For a long time you had your choice between the 2s 400 and the 4s 500. I think 02 might have been the last year for the 2 stroke? The 400's are prized for their ability to be hopped up/piped, the 500's for their easy going manners, bullet proof motors. Nearly identical 2s vs.4s performance from stock machines. The machines are identical otherwise as well and available both 2x4 and 4x4.
I sold my Magnum yesterday, and now looking at two 2005 Scrambler 500 HO 4x4's locally on Craigslist at about the $3K price range. Will be a Scrambler owner soon I feel I'll miss my snow plow I had on the Magnum when the snow flies next winter, but that's what snow shovels are for,, right ?
Krazy~

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page
05 polaris scrambler 500 review

2005 scrambler 500 ground clearance

how fast does a polaris scrambler 500 go

how fast is a 500 scrambler

how fast is a polaris scrambler 500

how fast is polaris scrambler 500

how fast will a 500 scrambler go
magnum 500 vs scrambler 500
polaris 500 scrambler two stroke

polaris scrambler 500 craigslist

polaris scrambler craigslist
scrambler 500 review
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.