Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #14376
Sea Foam

My 850 has started to run poorly recently. Will not idle when cold and runs rough until it warms up good. I pulled the plugs and they were gas soaked. Seems to run okay after it is warmed up and has been run a while, but extremely rich when cold. I added Sea Foam in my last 2 tanks of gas just because I had never put anything in it before. That is when I started having this issue. Has anyone had this happen to them after using Sea Foam? Not sure why it would cause this, but that is the only thing I have done differently since I have owned it. The air filter is clean and the plugs are only a few months old. No codes are being thrown, so it would appear to be a mechanical issue. I'm going riding tomorrow so I will fill it up with no sea foam and hope it clears up. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #14032
Never had any issues with it, keep us updated though!!!

Matt

2011 Sportsman 800
Polaris Front Brush Guard, Polaris Rear Brush Guard, Polaris Rear Rack Extender, Polaris L&R Rear Cargo Box, Warn 2500lb winch, Winch Saver, Ricochet A-Arm Guards (www.TheATVSuperStore.com), 3-High Headlight Mod, 6000k HID kit, Rigid Ind. 2xDually w/ strobe box, UNI Air Filter, 26" GBC Dirt Commanders, 1" Billet Wheel Spacers (Front and Rear) HighLifter HD springs, Dalton Primary Spring O\BL, Realtree Seat custom cover, Polaris Handguards

Wife's

2011 Sportsman 550XP
Polaris Front Brush Guard, Polaris Rear Brush Guards, Polaris Rear Rack Extender, 26" GBC Grim Reapers, Viper Elite 3000lbs Winch w/ wireless, Polaris Handguards, 6000k HID Kit

Fuel It, Flog It, Feel It!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #19435
I've found Star Tron to work better than Sea Foam for me.I can now use mid grade gas instead of ethanol free premium. Just a thought. Hope you get the bugs worked out.
K&N air w pre filter

money is the root of all evil & man needs roots:

Last edited by Corbett1973; 12-14-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #13773
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx2 View Post
My 850 has started to run poorly recently. Will not idle when cold and runs rough until it warms up good. I pulled the plugs and they were gas soaked. Seems to run okay after it is warmed up and has been run a while, but extremely rich when cold. I added Sea Foam in my last 2 tanks of gas just because I had never put anything in it before. That is when I started having this issue. Has anyone had this happen to them after using Sea Foam? Not sure why it would cause this, but that is the only thing I have done differently since I have owned it. The air filter is clean and the plugs are only a few months old. No codes are being thrown, so it would appear to be a mechanical issue. I'm going riding tomorrow so I will fill it up with no sea foam and hope it clears up. Any thoughts?
Bob I know you got a heck of a lot more experience then my self so its hard for a rookey like me to help trouble shoot something that you have not all ready done. But my 550 started doing what your describing and it was the throttle cable needing adjustment. - the wet plugs.
I have run sea foam in every tank of gas I have used and not encountered any issues (yet). I have used every gas from 87 at esso (10% ethanol) right up to 94 (ethanol free) at petro Canada and really never noticed a difference between any of them other then in my wallet.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #23200
I use star tron in every tank of gas, but have used sea foam on other machines when they were not running right...sea foam always seemed to fix them up. I would guess it is something like Skizmo said above...odd for sure
Old 12-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #19171
I can't see of any reasoning to point at Sea Foam on this. Coincidence?.... Also, did you put in new plugs for your ride today?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #7117
They run extremely rich during warmup. (Seafoam will richen it even more) We are constantly fouling plugs at the shop from moving them around here and there. Try to keep start ups to a minimum unless you actually going to warm up and ride the machine. Most fuel injected machines are like this but Polaris seems to be the worst about it.

How much seafoam did you use?
Old 12-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #14376
Not pointing any fingers at seafoam here. Just asking the question. After todays ride, I really don't think that is the cause. Once warmed up it idles fine and runs good, until you put a load on it. Then it really bogs down and will barely spin a tire or climb a hill. It can't keep the rpm's up. I have to put it in low to climb any kind of a hill at all. If it dies before it's warmed up, you almost can't get it to start again. It cranks over and starts to flood out. I understand the whole thing about minimizing start ups, but it won't even idle without applying the throttle when cold. As soon as you let off it will die and not restart. I know how it should idle during warmup, and how it used to, but it won't now. I did clean the plugs and they looked like new before I put them back in. I'm sure they don't look like new now after riding today.
Wondering now if maybe it isn't the TBAP sensor, or something along those lines. I think that could cause it to act like this.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #14032
Have you tried using MAF sensor cleaner on the TBAP sensor?

Just a thought...

Matt

2011 Sportsman 800
Polaris Front Brush Guard, Polaris Rear Brush Guard, Polaris Rear Rack Extender, Polaris L&R Rear Cargo Box, Warn 2500lb winch, Winch Saver, Ricochet A-Arm Guards (www.TheATVSuperStore.com), 3-High Headlight Mod, 6000k HID kit, Rigid Ind. 2xDually w/ strobe box, UNI Air Filter, 26" GBC Dirt Commanders, 1" Billet Wheel Spacers (Front and Rear) HighLifter HD springs, Dalton Primary Spring O\BL, Realtree Seat custom cover, Polaris Handguards

Wife's

2011 Sportsman 550XP
Polaris Front Brush Guard, Polaris Rear Brush Guards, Polaris Rear Rack Extender, 26" GBC Grim Reapers, Viper Elite 3000lbs Winch w/ wireless, Polaris Handguards, 6000k HID Kit

Fuel It, Flog It, Feel It!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #23647
Sounds like your fuel pump pressure may be too high. Check your oil too, if you haven't yet, and see if you have fuel in it. My '04 had that problem (same symptoms and over fueling) when I got it, I put a new pressure regulator on it and no problems since. Or as you suggested the TBAP could be the problem too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page

fuel too rich polaris sportsman atv

ltr 450 seafoam

ltr450 seafoam

polaris ranger 500 efi tbap sensor location

polaris star won't idle during warm-up

sea foam cleaning atv carbs

sea foam in my atv?

sea foam reviews atv

seafoam did not work atv will not idle

seafoam in polaris ranger

seafoam polaris ranger 500

will seafoam make fuel to rich in atv

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.