Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 06:00 AM

Member #34786
Rear Seat

Getting ready to go to Wisconsin on Memorial Day for 3 days of trail ride with friends. Would like to get a back seat for my wife, been looking at the WES Touring Polaris EPS, any thoughts or suggestions on this? I have a 2012 Polaris 400.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #29059
The WES seats do look nice and get good reviews..... but isn't the model your looking at (WES Touring Polaris EPS) designed for the "Touring 2-Up" machines.... not the Sportsman 400???

I think you'd want to be looking at the WES ATV Cargo Seat..... (But I may be wrong!!)

I've been looking and thinking hard about the Quadboss Weekender.... nice looking seat, decent storage and an area to carry a small gas can.

Earlier this week I picked up the Kolpin Lounge Seat at Fleet Farm on sale for $159.99, to temp. mount (on/off) on my machine.... doesn't look like near as nice of seat, but should work well enough for the kids. The other machine will get a nicer more permenant mounted seat like the Quadboss Weekender.

Kolpin Rear Lounger Seat....

2012 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED)
Mods: Polaris 2500HD Winch - Glacier 3 60" Plow System - Front & Rear Rack Extensions - Front & Rear Bumper/Brush Gaurds - Low Profile Windshield - Warning Debadge - 3 Way Head Light (Relay) - Coleman Rear View Mirror - Kolpin KXP Rhino Double Gun Rack - Madd Dog Chainsaw Holder - Kolpin Rear Seat/Storage Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" ITP Mud Lite Tires - Front & Rear High Lifter HD Springs

2005 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - Polaris Hand Guards - WES Ind. Rear Seat/Storage Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Rear View Mirror - Front & Rear Bumper/Brush Gaurds - 25" Kenda K590 Tires - PVC Spring Spacers

Son's: 2012 TaoTao 125D (BLUE/BLACK)

Last edited by MustBeNice; 03-15-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:37 AM

Member #34786
New at this so, what does it mean when you say 2up machine?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #5961
2up machine the atv that was made for 2 people. If you just bought a regular atv, then it is made for 1 person. We ride 2 people on ours (me and the wife) on our 850xp. I have the Kimpex deluxe rear cargo box/seat. I tried a Wes box from Thor but did not like it at all. This is the 2nd kimpex deluxe box I have had.
Polaris Front rack
Polaris hand warmers
Kimpex Fender guards with Pegs
Ricochet A-Arm guards (TheATVSuperStore)
Kimpex Deluxe Trunk with Lock'n'Ride system(TheATVSuperStore)
EPI HD Rear & Front Springs
Warn XT25 2500lb winch
26" GBC Grim Reaper with STI HD3 14" rims

Previously Owned
2010 Sportsman 500HO
2000 Polaris Sportsman 500
Old 03-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkPolaris View Post
New at this so, what does it mean when you say 2up machine?
The box you mentioned won't work. It is designed to fit the touring models.

Polaris among some other brands, make atvs designed for two riders, called 2ups by us. Polaris has 2 2up models, the X2 and the touring. The touring has a nice seat on the back, the X2 a dump box that converts.

One of the boxes Mustbenice linked should work, but the one you linked assumes you have a touring model already, which you don't.

In my places, it is illegal to ride two up on an atv even if you have an extra seat, unless the atv is design from the factory to do so, like the Polaris x2 or touring models. Check your local laws do you do not get a nice ticket for doing so.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:52 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #32522
I have a 1999 and 1998 Sportsman 500's. Not designed for 2 riders (2 up). I have also ridden extensively on a friends Sprotsman 500 2up.

On the 2010, which is most similar to yours, we used this:
J R Graham Powersports

It worked VERY well although, it was a little too far forward for our liking. I am 250 and wife probably 170's both tall. It was not uncomfortable at all, but a little more space front to back would have been an improvement.

On my older machines I bought these:
Sporting Cases And Gun Cases | Wayfair

I had to modify them a little bit, but they were much better comfort wise and allowed a little more space. Modifications:
Built a box out of 1/2" plywood to fit in rear bag and bolted it through the rear rack, which gave the back rest stability. Worked GREAT. Also bought Sterilite "Shoe Box" size plastic contaiers for the side bags. Made them more rigid and really made the ride great.

On both machines we did some very aggressive rock climbs, mud holes and 200+ miles of trail riding without issue.

Your machine is not designated for 2 riders (2 UP), so keep that in mind, but your 400 is not that different from the 500.
Hopefully my experience helps you. Feel free to ask more about it, almost all my riding is 2up

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps33eaae7b.jpg
Old 03-15-2013, 06:55 AM

Member #34786
So maybe my machine is to small for a lounger? Some of them have the person sit up n the back rack up high, was looking for something that put the person lower
Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
You're machine isn't too small, it's just not as long as the 2up models so it's not going to be a perfect match. You can still do it though.

All the box an seat combos I know put the passenger up on the back rack because of ergonomics. You need to be able to sit far enough from the handlebars to be able to steer properly, which pushes the passenger to the back rack on non 2up models like your 400
Old 03-15-2013, 07:14 AM

Member #34786
Thanks all...all good info...Learned something today, good thing. Yes I am told it is legal to ride to on a non-2up ATV in WI.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 AM

Member #34786
Guess my question then are they stable and fairly safe? We are not going on black diamond trails

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page
05 polaris sportsman 800 upseat
atv rear lounger
atv rear lounger with seat
kolpin atv rear lounger

polaris atv rear seat

polaris lounger seat

polaris sportsman rear seat

rear seat for atv

rear seats for polaris atvs
sportsman rear seat
wes touring polaris eps 2 up seat
where can i buy a polaris cargo box/seat in wi
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.