Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

ATV General Discussion General Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 09:08 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #7324
ATV mileage?

Hey i was just wondering what the highest mileage you guys have ever seen on an atv. When i was looking for a new atv one of the dealers told me not to expect more then 10,000km on an atv before it starts to break down. This seems really low, because i used to have a yamaha 450 and it had over 14,000km and i never had any problemes with it. I have also seen a few Hondas with over 30,000km.

Anyways i was just wondering how long the average atv should last.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #4866
Send a message via Skype™ to mkeddie
all depend on how much u care for it dont change the fluids and clean it enough it might only last 5000 or less
as far as max that i have seen 9000 mile it was in a junk yard(got rolled frame twisted to hell ) and the motor still ran lol
HID Plug and Play Light Kit for 550/850(www.theatvsuperstore.com) lower lights tinted with 20% window tint (still brighter than stock but not blinding bright)
Front & Rear A-Arm Guards XP550/850 2010(www.theatvsuperstore.com)
28" zillas on stock 14" rims(http://www.4wheelparts.com)_____26" stock tires on itp ss212 14" thanks SNW629
Deluxe Front/Rear Brushguard(http://www.superatv.com/)
3 in 1 Polaris atv hitch from (www.theatvsuperstore.com) might i add it was a gift they sent me just for buying some stuff
Galls® 100W Remote Siren (http://www.galls.com/)
lots of lights
motor cycle radio
(still to come Wes Standard(rear seat and storage), dalton clutch kit, 2 inch lift, stealth snorkel kit if they ever make them for the 2010 )
Old 09-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #5005
Good question! Where I live most people just have old junkyish atvs and they dont really know what a nice one is. I would say that you should be able to keep one of these new ATVs for 10-15 years before you should NEED to replace it. These ATV's claim to be so damn tough and long lasting but the fact is some just plain arent built to last.
Pure polaris lock & ride tall windshield
Pure polaris lock & ride gun scabbard
Pure polaris steel rear rack extender
ITP terra cross tires
Maxxis RAZR 4 speeds
UNI air filter
oury grips
RATH racing pre runner style chromoly bumper (front)
Ricochet Skid Plate (chassis)
Hot seat performance hypershift clutch kit
SSI decal kit
Powermadd handguard factory rider.

For any of your performance needs I would go with only Hotseat performance. I dont work for them just love there GREAT service and their amazing products[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:31 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #7324
I've noticed a lot of people where i live talk all big about their atv lasting for 15-20 years, but when you ask them how much they use them, they usually reply something like 2-3 times a year.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:28 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #7486
Take care of it and not beat the crap out of it and it will last you quite a while. I have almost 4000 miles on my 2005 800 and it still runs great! So far, the only thing I've had to replace is the battery and the upper and lower tie rod ends.
I also get it tuned up and replace the fluids every spring (might be overkill, but I can't afford anything major to go wrong )

2012 Sportsman 550 XP EPS Touring
2005 Sportsman 800 SOLD 9/2011
Old 09-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Member #2920
Send a message via AIM to Smoothbassman Send a message via Skype™ to Smoothbassman
Maintanance is the key to keeping them on the trails for a long time. You take care of it and not beat it up it will give you ten or fifteen years of great riding before the repairs cost more than a new quad.
  • Front Lock n Ride Storage Box
  • WES Lock and Ride Rear Touring Box
  • Rotopax Front Storage Fuel Cells
  • Hand Warmers
  • Garmin GPSMap 62S
  • 27" Grim Reapers
  • 8000K HID Lights
  • Ricochet Full Skid Kit
  • Go Pro Hero 3 Black Edition
Old 09-25-2010, 02:14 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #5629
I think the bottom line is; you take care of it, it will take care of you. Mine has 6200 miles and counting.

2007 Sportsman 800 efi , L&R tall windshield, Viper Max 4000 lb. winch with 3/16" Amsteel rope by Atv Winch Rope, 25' Amsteel tow rope by Atv Winch Rope, RDC fairlead, RDC deluxe gas cap, RDC shifter, RDC overflow bottle cap, RDC 2" lift , 27" Maxxis bighorns s/w on Vision Outback 12" wheels, Uni air filter, Dalton o/bl primary clutch spring, front and rear brushguard, front and rear rack extensions, and a SanAngelo backrest
Old 09-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
I have seen polaris sportsmans in the shops from farmers with 10,000-15,000 miles on their sportsmans. but maintenance is absoultely key.

there is also a 24 hour a day dairy farm that has six 2008 trailbosses, and they said these things literally run 24 hours a day, 5 days a week, for the last 2 years. they have 3 crews that run 8 hour shifts.

They are in the shop 2-3 times a week buying some part for one of the trailbosses. But the owner is perfectly happy with these machines. He said they put more abuse on those machines in 1 day then most people put on their machine in 3 years.

Even in this case, maintenance is key
Old 09-25-2010, 07:06 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #5004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothbassman View Post
Maintanance is the key to keeping them on the trails for a long time. You take care of it and not beat it up it will give you ten or fifteen years of great riding before the repairs cost more than a new quad.
I will be 65 years old in Oct and purchased a 2010 800 last May. After reading your comment, the wives new boyfriend will end up with a nice machine after I'm gone.

2005 Sportsman 500 H.O.
Front and Rear Brush
Moose 5 ft Plow
Old 09-25-2010, 10:45 PM

Member #7564
I had a 2000 5oo sportsman up until last year. Cant tell the miles, but i put that machine to the test ALL the time. rolled it,(2X) down a mountain, used it for hunting, buried it in mud and muck, crossed creeks that most would only call a river and wouldnt dare try. Hauled wood, pulled logs, the list could go on. Rode that machine more than my ol ......well.you get the picture. That was my first polaris and i was sold . I use a quad like its a truck. I always made it a point to change all the fluids each spring without fail and sometimes i would do it three to four times. I went thru two sets of tires before i finally got some real mud cleets. Cant remember the brand though. Just like anything you have the good and the bad but its always..... always got to do with the maintanence on your part. Cant be lazy about it. treat it right and it will love you back.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV General Discussion

Search tags for this page
atv gas mileage

atv gas mileage chart

atv mileage

atv mileage chart

atv mpg
atv mpg chart

average atv mileage

average atv mileage per year
mpg for polaris atv
quad gas mileage
what are averegae milege for atv
what is high miles for a atv
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.