Polaris ATV Forum banner

Overheating 700

19K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  paulvav 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 Polaris 700 Sportsman. I am having trouble with it overheating. All of the fluids are good and at the right level. It overheats and sprays out water after the bike is turned off. It will do this even if the bike has been driven for 5 tp 10 minutes. Does anyone have any idea what is going on???

#4 ·
Overheating 700 Sportsman

Thanks for the help. I searched the overheating topic and it says to drain and replace fluids a few times. Do I need to do it to all fluids? Oil and water. I have found that after riding for 5 to 10 minutes if I leave it run at an idle for a while before turning it off the water does not spray our of the resivior as bad. If I just turn the bike off the water sprays out everywhere.

It also seems to be idling a little high. Any other thoughts anyone???

#5 ·
I am only aware of the air in the coolant problem, I am not an expert on these quads.

But changing the oil is not a bad idea on any motor once it heats up, the viscosity breaks down (ie burnt oil).

I would change the plug too. I would wait until you get the cooling issue under control, then do oil and plug.

A simple compression check could tell you if you hurt your motor by overheating.

Mike

#6 ·
700 overheating & front gear box

i am new to this forum and fustrated with my 2004 Polaris 700. It overheats after about 10 minutes and now the front wheels will not roll forward, only backwards. I will try to get the air out of the system as discussed in other replys (thanks for that info).
Looking at other threads it looks like i may have a "broken cage"? Is it difficult to get out/replace. It is getting way to close to hunting season to start having these problems. HELP!
Thanks for any info!

#7 ·
700 Cooling Problems

You did not say whether or not your fan is running consistantly or not. I recently had problems with my 2007 Sportsman 800 overheating after only a few minutes. The fan would come on, but it would not stay on until it cooled off. There is a circuit breaker sealed in a plastic bag on the harness under the headlight. It had got water in it and corroded the contacts inside the case. It is a automotive type breaker that can be found at most auto parts stores.

#9 ·
Rad could be plugged up with dirt and debri, thermostat could be not be opening,
fan may not be working.
If all of these work then you will need to do a pressure test of the cooling system to find out if you have engine compression entering the cooling system.
Also check and make sure the cooling system cap is working (sealing properly)

#10 ·
2003 sportsman overheating

Hi everybody first time on the site. I have 2003 sportsman 600 when i start riding it after about 5-10 minutes it starts leaking antifreeze out the top of the reservoir the fan kicks on and the fins on the radiator are clean. the reservoir fills up with antifreeze and when the atv sits and its cold the antifreeze drops in the reservoir. when start the atv and just let it run it wont leak antifreeze, any suggestions thanks paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.