09 sportsman 500 bogging down backfiring top end - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

09 sportsman 500 bogging down backfiring top end

I recently purchased an 09 sportsman 500 ho. She starts and idles great. When I go a little past half throttle it loses power and almost sounds as though its backfiring.
I've owned numerous 500's in the past and have encountered the dreaded cam problem. This doesn't act quite the same as those did but I still can't rule it out. I figure since it's a different model, perhaps a different issue. I put on a new filter, the intake looks good. I'm out of ideas. I'd appreciate any and all advice!
Not sure if it could possibly be related electrically but my speedometer has stopped working as well.
Any ideas out there?

Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 04:00 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

i would at first clean the carburetor
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 06:58 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Backfiring thru the carb is a lean condition, something is upsetting the air/fuel ratio too much, either too much air or not enough fuel or both. So start with the air by checking for intake leaks, then make sure the fuel flow is sufficient, take off the output hose from the fuel pump (after the fuel filter to test it too) and turn engine over (with spark plug wire off) there s/b a flow a couple inches from the hose end. But the fact it starts at about half throttle could mean the slider on the carb isn't doing it's thing correctly, may need a carb rebuild.

1998 Sportsman 500 - 4725 miles
Front/Rear 18W-4 inch solid metal CREE LED Floods
Polaris 8" Rear Rack Extender
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
12.5" Kenda BearClaws on rears
2010 Sportsman 500 HO - 1362 miles 182hrs
Tamarack 10" Footpegs
Polaris Front brush guard - bumper
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
Wants BearClaw HTRs for Christmas!

OPT is here: http://atvconnection.com/forums/pola...vs-ask-expert/

Last edited by jgue498; 01-29-2017 at 07:00 AM. Reason: details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your input fellas!
Before getting into the carb I figured I'd run a can of sea foam through a tank. I ran the machine for a few hours this morning. Surprisingly, it seemed to regain some power but the bogging continues as well as the backfiring.
I'm going to continue to run it today in hopes that it cleans up.
Anyone have any further ideas?
Also the speedometer isn't working. I don't believe it's the speedo because it's reading .8 miles continuously on the odometer. The light and the fuel gauge work fine. Could there be separate fuses for both of these issues?
Thanks again guys!!
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

I'm looking at a carb overhaul I think. Any advice out there on my speedometer issue? It illuminates and reads accurate for fuel. However the speedometer doesn't work and the digital odometer is stuck on .08.
Any ideas at all would be hugely appreciated!
Thanks,
Jason
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Hello again guys!
I've ran a full tank of sea foam through it. The power has regained a little but the backfiring continues when I'm going past half throttle for a few seconds then runs fine. I don't have full power when I'm pin it. I've also noticed that I'm leaking fuel. I purchased a rebuild kit yesterday. Any advice on what I'm getting into?..lol. I've never done one of these before.
My speedometer is not working. My odometer reads .08 at all times. The fuel gauge doesn't work. I obviously have an electrical issue. Could these problems be related? I'd really like to look at all options before breaking open that carb.
Thanks so much guys!!!! Any advice will help immensely
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

It isn't that tough to remove and clean the carb. here is a very descriptive write up on that carb. The BST-40 Bible | Adventure Rider
Also if you don't have a service manual, here is a site that they cost $5 to download. Polaris ATV Service Manuals PDF Download
If you need to, take pics as a reference to help put back together and it aides in any questions you need on help from others on this site.
Go get em. As for the electrical, hopefully some one will chime in, as i am not that good with it. Only thing I could say is follow the wires from the pod and look for cracks or worn areas. Check plugs on harnesses for corrosion and clean them and add dielectric grease to them. For the speedometer, check to see if the hall sensor is full of dirt or mud.

2011 Sportsman 500 HO
Warn Winch
Heat Demon Handwarmers
Nothing else special

John
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B15rocket View Post
but the backfiring continues when I'm going past half throttle for a few seconds then runs fine. I don't have full power when I'm pin it. I've also noticed that I'm leaking fuel.
seafoam, startron and many other alcohol treatments are excellent Once you have a good working carb/system, won't fix much before that.

The fact your's bogs down mid point tells me the slide is getting stuck, it's the middle stage for the carb that takes over from mid rpms to high.

Leaking fuel is probably the float gasket so make sure you replace that and juanv1966 said follow the rebuild instructions. Now run your seafoam All the time. Luck and enjoy. L

1998 Sportsman 500 - 4725 miles
Polaris 8" Rear Rack Extender
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
12.5" Kenda BearClaws on rears
2010 Sportsman 500 HO - 1362 miles 182hrs
Tamarack 10" Footpegs
Polaris Front brush guard - bumper
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
Wants BearClaw HTRs for Christmas!

OPT is here: http://atvconnection.com/forums/pola...vs-ask-expert/

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

You guys are amazing! Thank you for your time!!!
I'm going to get at it as soon as I can. Thanks again fellas. I'll keep you updated
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE....I rebuilt and cleaned the carb. I checked the slide and diaphragm. They seem fine. It is now running worse than before. It bogs terribly when giving gas immediately. There were periods were it seemed to right itself and I took it for a short ride...couple hundred feet before it shut off. I repeated this a couple of times to have the same problem occur. I tried changed the position of the needle one spot and it made no difference. I am completely stumped. I love the machine and won't give up on it. PLEASE HELP!!!! ANY AND ALL ADVICE would be appreciated beyond words. Thank you guys again

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode