Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 10:39 AM

Member #2262
2004 Polaris 700 (carb)

Good afternoon! I am new to the forum and recently bought my first quad. I got my 2004 700 about a month ago and I have a few general questions before I assume that something is not working correctly.

First Question: How does the 2wd and 4wd drive on these things function? When in 2wd, are ONLY the rear wheels driven NO MATTER WHAT? Or if they start slipping will the front wheels receive torque? When in 4wd high, is it a bad thing to be driving hard/fast. I have been told it will wear the front tires faster, but other than that is there other major implications?

Second Question: Another drivetrain question...when you take off slowly is it normal for the engine to rev up a little (I want to say somewhere around 1500 rpm or a little more perhaps) before the clutch engages? As a new driver it took some getting used to and I am not really sure if is should be like this or not...

Third Question: When I bought my machine it came with no manual. I will at least get the manual but I see that maintenance manuals are available also. In your opinion, are these worth while and the money? Any recommendations on where to get them, I figured I would watch ebay...but there is somewhere probably better.

This forum looks like it has alot of good info to offer, I appreciate your input.
Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
hi! glad you joined....i think i can answer some of your questions.

answer #1. 4x4 is electronic, so here is how it works. when in 2wd the rear wheels will only get the power, the fronts will not! when you are in 4x4 mode, the machine will stay in 2wd until the rear wheels slip. it takes 1/5 of one wheel revolution before the front wheels engage, fully locked, so you get a true 4x4. much different and much better the limited slip front diff like in trucks, suvs, and other brands of atvs. as soon as the rear wheels regain traction, the fronts release again. so, on the trail, and in 4x4 mode, your machine could be going in and out of 4x4 hundreds of time, and you never know it. all you know is 4x4 is there when you need it, and not there when you dont. which basically answers the second part. you can put her in high, 4x4 and give her hell all day my friend. by the unit not being locked in 4x4 all the time, to makes steering much easier and helps save tire wear.

answer#2: yeah, 1500 rpm is an acceptable rpm for the clutches to engage. if it were say, over 2,500 or 3,000rpm you would have a problem. they have a CVT clutch system. you have your primary clutch, which is connected to you crank, and your secondary clutch which is connected to your gearbox(tranny) what happens when you give it gas is the primary starts to spin faster. there are weights inside the clutch that get thrown out by centrifugal force, and the primary basically grabs the belt and starts to spin it. the spining belt turns the secondary which turns the gears in the tranny and down to the wheels. it does take some RPM to get that primary to engage, because when stopped at idle, the belt tension must be loose enough the primary can spin without grabbing the belt. it does take some getting use to but thats because they are nothing like a car, truck, or motorcycle

answer#3 if you plan on doing a lot of your own manitence, ect. then yes, a service manual is well worth it. if you are just going to do basic service items, then i wouldnt waste your money on one. if you are mechanically inclined and have a good tool selection and a very good basical knowledge of all things mechanical, the a service manual will help guide you step by step through the little qwirks of your machine and show you EXACTLY how it should come apart and go back together. an OEM service manual is going to run you about $50-$80 price range, or you can get an aftermarket one which are just as good IMO. i have included a link for you for an aftermarket service manual if you are interested!

Haynes Service Manual
Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Polaris ATV Legend
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:33 AM

Member #2262
Thanks for the info Blueline15. So based on your reply to question 1 about 2wd vs 4wd, my quad is stuck in 4wd. I thought I read a thread that said one of the first things that should be done is changing the front end lube...which does not make to much sense to me unless that is where the 4wd is electronically engaged. So where does it engage? Does the front drive shaft and the rear drive shaft come out of the transmission and head directly to the front and rear ends? or is there a transfer case in there?

Also, where would you recommend starting to trouble shoot the 4wd problem?
Thanks
Chris

Quote:
answer #1. 4x4 is electronic, so here is how it works. when in 2wd the rear wheels will only get the power, the fronts will not! when you are in 4x4 mode, the machine will stay in 2wd until the rear wheels slip. it takes 1/5 of one wheel revolution before the front wheels engage, fully locked, so you get a true 4x4. much different and much better the limited slip front diff like in trucks, suvs, and other brands of atvs. as soon as the rear wheels regain traction, the fronts release again. so, on the trail, and in 4x4 mode, your machine could be going in and out of 4x4 hundreds of time, and you never know it. all you know is 4x4 is there when you need it, and not there when you dont. which basically answers the second part. you can put her in high, 4x4 and give her hell all day my friend. by the unit not being locked in 4x4 all the time, to makes steering much easier and helps save tire wear.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:43 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #2049
Welcome My 03 700(carb) works like this. (Switch OFF)When you are driving with no wheel spin it is 2 wheel but once the rear spins it automaticly locks in the front until the rear is no longer slipping and goes back to 2 wheel.Goes in and out with out you even noticing.(Switch ON) Awd all the time.No waiting for rear wheels to slip to engage. I hope this helps.I had the same question and my freind with a 03 700 said thats how his was since new. Thats the on demand. When it needs you got it when it doesnt you dont.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #230
if your switch is off, you can get the fronts to engage if the rear slips A LOT more then 1/5 of one wheel revolution. such as on snow or ice, in 2wd doing doughts on the street i was getting the front wheels to kick in at random times. this was on a 07 450 sportsman. i guess i should have clarified, but there is a difference there between when the fronts engage.

bingo, you are right. the 4wd is engaged in the front end. you have a drive shaft that goes from the tranny to the front, and another shaft that goes to the rear. the fluid in the front end conducts electricity for the 4wd. when that fluid gets dirty, its common to see the 4wd either stay engaged or never engage. if its been over a year since that fluid has been changed then i would start with fresh fluid. its only about 5oz. of fluid up there, so its not much at all. more then likely that will take care of this problem.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:39 PM

Member #2262
Thanks alot for the info, that makes me feel alot better. I was unsure for a while before we got snow, but soon as we got snow, it was obvious that the front tires were spinning when the backs were slipping. Thanks Again
Old 03-12-2012, 07:24 AM

Member #21856
Anyone run into a problem with the 4wd not engaging when stuck. I couldn't get the 4wd to turn on but the indicator would come on when I hit the switch. Once I was unstuck it seemed to work fine. Maybe in the switch? It was very slushy and wet that day
ITP 212 ALUMINUM RIMS
FOOT PEGS/FENDER GUARDS
2500LB WARN WINCH
K/N FILTER

Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #24313
I'm having same issue with mine, it's annoying. Changed fluids and there was water and low oil in front diff. Mine shows engaged in 4x4 displauy but I don't think it is solid on, and getting stuck lately. I was thinking of jacking all quad up and see if front wheels will engage and spin when I flip switch to 4x4 ????

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

Search tags for this page

2004 polaris 700 carb

2004 polaris 700 carburetor
2004 polaris 700 sportsman service manual

2004 polaris sportsman 700 carburetor

2004 polaris sportsman 700 idle rpm

2004 polaris sportsman 700 idle speed

2004 polaris sportsman 700 manual

2004 polaris sportsman 700 service manual

2004 service guide polaris sportsman 700
idle on 2004 sportsman 700 twin rpm
polaris 700 carb slide
polaris 700 carburetor
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.