Polaris ATV Forum banner

Won't go into 4 wheel drive

24K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Johnnay365 
#1 ·
Tried to plow snow with my "02" 400 Sportsman but it doesn't go into 4 wheel drive. Tried the switch several times to no avail. Funny thing is the reverse over-ride doesn't work either. I mean the engine doesn't sputter in reverse wether the button is depressed or not. Where to start????

#5 ·
Did the AWD still work after the speedo quit?? I thought you needed a functioning speedo to get AWD.

#8 ·
I don't want to hijack this thread, but i'm hoping someone can help me out... My 4x4 doesn't work (02 sportsman 400) but there is full power to both hubs. Armature plates and Hilliard clutches are brand new, filled hubs correctly. They magnatize as they should and have correct hub fluid. On jacks. I can stop both tires with my hand.

Another question. Where the splines / rollers on the Hilliard clutch are.. Should there be some notches on the inside of the hub for these rollers to set into when awd engages??

Because with the hub (cover?) itself off, I can see that the rollers move up when the hex nut spins on the axle... I've done the grounding re wiring, grounded the speedo out.. Awd light works, gear selector indicator works, power to the armature plates... Fully/properly magnatized ect. Someone please help :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.