Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members

ATV New Members If you are new here please post in this section so everyone can get to know you. This will be a kind of icebreaker section for new members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 04:40 PM

Member #36619
Drive belt issue

I replaced the belt on my 03 sportsman 400, i found debris from mice, and now when in gear at idle it still wants to move and with brake applied it will die. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Premium Member

Member #193
Welcome to the board!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #29606
Sounds like the belt deflection is to tight. Need to shim the secondary clutch open to let the belt ride down a little lower at idle.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #29059
Did you blow the clutches out with compressed air to make sure you got all the mouse nest debris out? Maybe some stuck in a clutch restricting it from opening/closing completely or propperly. May need to "carefully" run the machine with clutch cover off and cycle throttle and try blow them out at the same time.

If that doesn't solve it... I'd check clutch allignment or shim secondary clutch open to reduce belt tension as Ridinagain mentioned.

2012 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (INDY RED)
Mods: Polaris 2500HD Winch - Glacier 3 60" Plow System - Front & Rear Rack Extensions - Front & Rear Bumper/Brush Gaurds - Low Profile Windshield - Warning Debadge - 3 Way Head Light (Relay) - Coleman Rear View Mirror - Kolpin KXP Rhino Double Gun Rack - Madd Dog Chainsaw Holder - Kolpin Rear Seat/Storage Box - Kolpin Fuel Pack Jr - 26" ITP Mud Lite Tires

2005 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 400 (SONIC BLUE)
Mods: Warn 2500 Winch - Polaris Hand Guards - WES Ind. Rear Seat/Storage Box - Shift Interlock Delete - Coleman Rear View Mirror - Front & Rear Bumper/Brush Gaurds - 25" Kenda K590 Tires

Son's: 2012 TaoTao 125D (BLUE/BLACK)

WARNING: The Above advice is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect.... suck it up Nancy!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
Drive belt issue

OEM or aftermarket belt? Some of the aftermarket ones are out of spec by just a little and can cause this.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk
  • 25" GBC Spartacus, EPI Clutch Kit, Full Ricochet Armor, Polaris 2500 lb Winch Rear Box & Hand Guards, SuperATV Bumpers
Old 06-13-2013, 04:12 PM

Member #36619
Thanks. It is a factory belt and I have cleaned everything and with cover off both clutches appear to be working well. The shim to secondary sounds like my next move. I assume the shims are a dealer item.
Again thanks for ideas.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:50 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #11494
Drive belt issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
Thanks. It is a factory belt and I have cleaned everything and with cover off both clutches appear to be working well. The shim to secondary sounds like my next move. I assume the shims are a dealer item.
Again thanks for ideas.
They are a dealer item. If you look at your primary, belt should be right in the center of it, not rubbing on either sheave.

Also you should be able to "stretch" the belt at the center point between the primary and secondary about 1/4"(aka belt deflection). At least this is the amount for mine yours may be more or less.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk
  • 25" GBC Spartacus, EPI Clutch Kit, Full Ricochet Armor, Polaris 2500 lb Winch Rear Box & Hand Guards, SuperATV Bumpers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Discussions > ATV New Members