Polaris ATV Forum banner

service interval?

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  phil 
#1 ·
I have had my 2009 xp 850 over a month. Due to a recent injury, I have not been putting any miles or hours on the machine, but it has been over a month since my purchase. The book says that I need to change all the "break in" fluids at a certain hour, mile, or in 1 month from purchase- I am nowhere close to the miles or hours
This being said I feel I pass the suggested time interval (month), and put some more hrs, and miles to get it closer to the suggested number for the first fluids change.
I am correct here or what?
It is probably gonna sit for a week or two more, then I will be putting some hrs, and miles on it.
What say some of the gurus?
I came from an old Honda that I only changed oil on, and never did any other fluid changes (and got lucky)
This machine is mine forever, and I want to take care of it. I usually do all the work on the truck, skid steer, etc. myself, but the first service I want to to at a Polaris dealer, and I inquired about the changes a while back and they said no not even close to hrs needed so I figure I am allright to keep goin past the month but like to hear opinoins.
Thanks

#2 ·
Stay with the miles/hours. The parts don't rub on each other when quad sits.

#4 ·
You can do what you want, and I will do the hours thing, after warranty. But while under warranty I will do, or have, the service done as recommended according to "severe use"/time specs. It's not big a deal.
My dealer insisted I bring the quad back in the 30 day window for the first service. They did it, free of charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.