Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Classifieds > ATV Parts Wanted

ATV Parts Wanted Looking for a certain ATV Part? Post it up here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 12:50 PM

Member #37952
looking for 1996 sportsman 400 4x4 rear break calipar assembly

pulled mine out, it was leaking... 2 cracks on the part the manual says is called "the ramp"...

looking for it used but in good working order..

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
looking for 1996 sportsman 400 4x4 rear break calipar assembly-12-aout-2013-011.jpg  
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 08-12-2013, 12:51 PM

Member #37952
see the crack ?
Attached Thumbnails
looking for 1996 sportsman 400 4x4 rear break calipar assembly-12-aout-2013-010.jpg  
Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 PM

Member #37916
I have an issue with my auxilary (rear) brake caliper on my 1997 Xplorer. The brake pads are worn completely off and the pins that hold them in place will not break loose from the aluminum housing they slide into. I'd buy used but only if the seller guarantees me that the pins are already out and included in the sale. I'd do the same if I were you and buying used. I've soaked my unit in pentrating oil for more than a week and tried again today to break those pins losse but to no avail. Alas, I'm at a loss and may just stick the old unit on and not use it all all.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:39 AM

Member #37952
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastpitch1 View Post
I have an issue with my auxilary (rear) brake caliper on my 1997 Xplorer. The brake pads are worn completely off and the pins that hold them in place will not break loose from the aluminum housing they slide into. I'd buy used but only if the seller guarantees me that the pins are already out and included in the sale. I'd do the same if I were you and buying used. I've soaked my unit in pentrating oil for more than a week and tried again today to break those pins losse but to no avail. Alas, I'm at a loss and may just stick the old unit on and not use it all all.
thanks for the advice... I sourced the part locally and wil have it checked for that problem before I walk away with it.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:47 PM

Member #37916
Yesterday I hit the wall with the auxilary brake. I'd had it with the penetrating oil soak. I took it to a former student of mine who has always been a great grease monkey. I told him to just cut the blades off that the pads were at one time attached to. Instead he got out a Vice Grip and started working one pin back and forth and finally it broke loose and it came out. We were half way home. The second one was more adamant about not coming out and he took my advice and got out his cutting torch. He cut the blade of the pin and then attached a Vice Grip with more teeth on it and started working it back and forth. Perhaps the heat and the better teeth did the trick because he got that darn thing loose. After it cooled I brought it home and used my dremel took with a wire brush and cleaned it up. Then I used a sanding disk on the dremel and made a mess of sparks. Then I dropped a pin into a hole that I had cleaned out with the dremel and straight wire brush (about five bucks at the hardware store). Then I stuck the pin in and zoomba it slide right in and then dropped out when I tipped it up. I did the same with the other one. Then I attached the new pads and put some Anti Seize on the pins and reattached the entire caliper to the machine. It fit well and rubs just a little on the rotar but that will wear off immediately. I still have to install the new starter but the kit did not come with the gasket that was supposed to be included so I am waiting for that. Once I get the new starter and bendix in I can reattached the drive chain and then hook up the auxilary brake caliper, fill the reservoir and bleed the system and get some brakes back. Of course that rear brake is just an auxilary one and not meant to stop the machine dead in its track. Just make sure the pins come out and you will save yourself some trouble or else buy the used one and cut the old pads out and use the good Vise Grip method. Good luck. Keep me up to speed with your progress. New ones are too cost prohibitive to put on when you will seldom use that brake.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:15 PM

Member #37952
got the part...used.

seems the 98 trailboss has the same rear break caliper as the 96 sportsman 400

I put the 2 parts next to one another and sure enough...same.

60$ bought it. Bonus...pads were still good!
I'll bring it to my mechanic monday so he can go to work.

shouldn't there be a chatrt somewhere displaying "equivalent parts" like that. That would make shopping around for used parts much more ...fruitfull.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 PM

Member #37916
Amen to the equivalent parts chart. Perhaps you can get that started!

I received the missing gasket for my new starter kit today. I'm anxious to start reassembling my 97 Xplorer. I changed the inline fuel filter and the inline oil filter. The fuel filter was a cinch. The oil filter was not hard but I had engine oil all over the floor as it was running out of the oil line pretty fast.

I'll start putting it back together soon. It's great to be able to do one's own mechanical work. I was able to make the pulley pullers and I've made one of the compression tools to reassemble clutches.

You got a great buy on that rear brake caliper at sixty bucks. I am happy for you.

Now I have to get my brakes going by bleeding them.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:42 AM

Member #37952
96 sportsman 400 rear break hose needed

all out call for help...

I need to find the break hose that goes from the rear caliper to the "3 way splitter"... my mechanic says the old one is too craked to be trustworthy.

OEM parts say the part is no longer available. *Sigh*
I called my atv scrapyard guy... he'll check on that ... but

Has anyone got that part (original number is 1930751) lying around ?????

That's the last thing i need to finally get that 96 sportsman going again.

Thanks for help- parts or leads.

Yann
Old 09-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #38309
are you just needing that little 6in hose between the rear caliper to the steel line or did you need the steel line aswell all the way up to the 3 way spliter?
I have one on my 95 Magnum parts quad.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 PM

Member #37952
Hi AROB,

I might have sourced one locally... will know tomorrow. If it doesn't work out, I definatly deal with you for yours. What I need is what screws into the coupler all the way down to what screws into the rear caliper (some parts are rigid , others are rubber).

Thanks

Yann

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Classifieds > ATV Parts Wanted

Search tags for this page

1996 polaris sportsman 400 brake parts

400 4x4 atv polaris rear brake caliper assembly

96 400 sportsman rear brakes

96 polaris sportsman brake pad

wanted 1996 polaris sportman 4x4 400 parts

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.