Better Shoes/Feet for my Plow - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 03:22 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwild View Post
Nice work Jack. I just welded some 1/2" or so metal plates on the bottom of my stock feet.use washers to adjust the up and down. The stock pads wore through the first time I plowed with it.

How does the pipe work on pavement? I got steep gravel driveway a few hundred yards long then have to plow a lil bit on side of state road. Worried that if I put pipe on it I won't be able to get enough snow off the paved part.
Just got in from plowIng everybody, it doesn't work as well on pavement as a normal cutting edge. Itll still move the snow, but tends to leave a light skim coat behind vs steel edge only

2014 Sportsman 550 named "Chapter 7"
Lots of mods and add ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncledaddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwild View Post
Nice work Jack. I just welded some 1/2" or so metal plates on the bottom of my stock feet.use washers to adjust the up and down. The stock pads wore through the first time I plowed with it.

How does the pipe work on pavement? I got steep gravel driveway a few hundred yards long then have to plow a lil bit on side of state road. Worried that if I put pipe on it I won't be able to get enough snow off the paved part.
Just got in from plowIng everybody, it doesn't work as well on pavement as a normal cutting edge. Itll still move the snow, but tends to leave a light skim coat behind vs steel edge only
I still may try out that pvc / pipe on the bottom of the blade. as I think it would save some clean up where I plow over my lawn. I find in the spring/summer im putting back a lot of Sod.. atleast when it used to get plowed with a truck. I find that with my ATV it comes out a lot cleaner as the blade isn't half as heavy. But the feet I made worked great. little/ no wear at all on them, and they add a couple extra lbs to each side of the blade. I do want to get one of them winch/stop limiter switches so that I don't break the synthetic cable. I can see where it would be asy to break it lifting the blade.

2016 Polaris Sportsman 850 SP Metallic

2000 Suzuki Quadrunner LT 500 (*sold*)

2001 Suzuki King Quad 300(*sold*)

2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660 (Blue)(*sold*)
Past ATV's: (Classics)
1984 Honda 185S
1984 Big Red (ATC200ES)
1986 FourTrax 125
1986 Honda ATC 250R
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:15 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Adding a pipe over the cutting edge was the best thing I have done. Huge improvement and doesn't tear up the yard or catch on cracks.

2015 Scrambler 1000 XP
- Maxxis Bighorn 2.0's on RZR Turbo wheels
- Polaris 2500 lb winch
- Polaris Ogio rear storage bag
- RAM X-Mount for GPS duties
- Polaris Heated Grips & Thumb Warmer
- Polaris White/ Black Handguards
- Quadboss Pile Driver 60" Plow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 05:14 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Guys, how does the pipe over the edge work when you have to push hard drifts? I had to plow some hard packed drifts this week. No pipe on my plow and the plow rode over the drifts. Eventually the plow did cut into the drift. I think with a pipe on the edge it would never cut into the drift. I like the idea for not digging into the sod

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 06:29 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

EveRythings a trade off. Abs pipe over steel edge wont move gravel around like a steel edge, wont curl and tear up lawns like a steel edge...so flip side, an abs covered cuttIng edge wont cut in like a steel edge.

I do all my covered edge places first, then move onto places i can pull abs pupe off and go back to steel edge

2014 Sportsman 550 named "Chapter 7"
Lots of mods and add ons
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Im in a position where my driveway is only about 100 foot long and it's dirt/gravel bottom. So I don't need to cut right down to pavement. I can leave a few inches behind and me and my wife both have 4 wheel drive, so for me the trade off is owrth it. I don't mind not being able to scrap the ground so much, as it saves me a lot of yard/road work. On the other hand, someone with a long paved road would want to scrape right down to the tarmac so that they would get bare pavement when the sun came out. they wouldn't want the pipe, but the blade instead.

2016 Polaris Sportsman 850 SP Metallic

2000 Suzuki Quadrunner LT 500 (*sold*)

2001 Suzuki King Quad 300(*sold*)

2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660 (Blue)(*sold*)
Past ATV's: (Classics)
1984 Honda 185S
1984 Big Red (ATC200ES)
1986 FourTrax 125
1986 Honda ATC 250R

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode