Ceramic coating - Page 3 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Here's a discussion on speed talk about the types of TBCs and the possible plusses and minuses of each.
http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34966&f=1

Sent from my SM-P605V using Tapatalk

Last edited by hatzie; 01-09-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

My exhaust system is back from Jet Hot, their 1300 on the muffler and 2500 on the header. Hope to have it running tomorrow and see how it performs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170203_100628.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	5.01 MB
ID:	69698   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170203_100618.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	4.33 MB
ID:	69706   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170203_100632.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	69714  
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:58 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Looks great. Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Did a test run and the black piece still gets very hot near the bottom where its within 1/8 inch of the header. The new body panel has heat shielding but I'm a little pessimistic that it won't melt when pulling a trailer or mower this summer and disappointed given what I spent. The header and plastic are just so close there may be no good answer. I'll keep updating as time goes on and the temps in Missouri increase.

On the up side the tune did help out bottom end it seems stronger out of the hole.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 05:57 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

If I were coating the exhaust and expecting the coating alone to do the job... I'd lean toward the Swain Tech Coatings and DPR (Dan Paramour Racing) White Lightning Zirconium Dioxide based ceramic coatings on the header and intermediate pipes. I'd use the thinner Jet Hot coats on the muffler. The Ceramics are laid on at .015-.020".

The Organics like Jet Hot are laid on at .002" similar in appearance and function to a super high quality paint. These coatings will stay bonded to the parts and provide exceptional corrosion protection. The thinner layer, in theory, should not be as prone to thermal shock cracks. The downside is less thermal protection.

The Ceramic coatings are not as aesthetically pleasing but the thicker layer provides more thermal protection. In theory the heavier coating may be prone to thermal stress cracking but in practice it doesn't seem to be a problem... drag, road, and track racing is not done in wet and muddy conditions and mudding is wet from the get go avoiding the potential of going from dry and hot to large amounts of water being splashed on the headers.

The rules of the Universe say that eventually any Ceramic or Organic coating will heat up to the substrate temperature. They just slow the progress. That' just the way it is unless you have access to real magic.
A layer of insulating header tape should keep the heat in and the cold away from the parts to prevent thermal shock cracks and separation of the high priced coatings. It's probably cheaper to just wrap the pipes and buy a new set when they rot out.

Last edited by hatzie; 02-05-2017 at 05:59 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode