Help! Sportsman ECU removal - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 05:01 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Just got mine in the mail. Took USPS 7 days to get a priority package up to RVS. And then another 5 to get priority back to me!!?? Our tax dollars hard at work.
I ordered a stage 2 tune for 91 octane, exhaust (RJWC) and stock(no snorkel) intake. I also have a clutch kit form RVS/QSC. ECU went in much easier than it came out. I decided to leave my Dobeck in and return it to stock settings.
It was raining when I finally get this thing back so this will not be a complete review.
The machine started as normal (instantly) with a cold start. As previously stated, the Dobeck was returned to stock settings after this initial start.
Each warm restart after installation is now taking several revolutions (approx 2 seconds) to start the machine.
It was still raining, dirt road was muddy and full of puddles so I did not have ideal conditions to compare before and after. From a dead stop the bottom end was slightly to moderately improved but not what I was hoping for. I think this is more of a Polaris thing rather than an ECU tune issue. The bottom end on this thing is just plain soft. I can't get it to pull the front wheels off the ground with any consistency in high gear.
Mid range is where this thing shines (given the current conditions) and I will say that it pulls hard in roll ons from 15-35, 20-50, 30-60 mph. Coming out of corners is greatly improved. Bigly, as Trump would say.
As far as top end goes I was only able to get to 70-72 ish on the speedo given the current weather so I cannot comment on the rev limiter being raised or the top speed.
Upon returning to the garage and shutting it down I noticed that the exhaust was glowing much more than with the Dobeck alone. I was initially running the programmer on level 7 for modes 1,2,3. Modes 4,5,6 were left at the recommended settings of 5, 6.5, and 5 respectively.
Observing the pipe in the dark, the head pipe was glowing a not-so-nice, bright orange. The mid pipe cooled down to a red color at the flange and became a dull red along the upward bend and disappeared approximately 2-3 inches up the slope of the midpipe.
I know my machine ran hotter than others that I have encountered so I will be calling Ryan tomorrow and see what he thinks about adding a little more fuel with the Dobeck.
That's all I have so that's all you get for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakneck View Post
Just got mine in the mail. Took USPS 7 days to get a priority package up to RVS. And then another 5 to get priority back to me!!?? Our tax dollars hard at work.
I ordered a stage 2 tune for 91 octane, exhaust (RJWC) and stock(no snorkel) intake. I also have a clutch kit form RVS/QSC. ECU went in much easier than it came out. I decided to leave my Dobeck in and return it to stock settings.
It was raining when I finally get this thing back so this will not be a complete review.
The machine started as normal (instantly) with a cold start. As previously stated, the Dobeck was returned to stock settings after this initial start.
Each warm restart after installation is now taking several revolutions (approx 2 seconds) to start the machine.
It was still raining, dirt road was muddy and full of puddles so I did not have ideal conditions to compare before and after. From a dead stop the bottom end was slightly to moderately improved but not what I was hoping for. I think this is more of a Polaris thing rather than an ECU tune issue. The bottom end on this thing is just plain soft. I can't get it to pull the front wheels off the ground with any consistency in high gear.
Mid range is where this thing shines (given the current conditions) and I will say that it pulls hard in roll ons from 15-35, 20-50, 30-60 mph. Coming out of corners is greatly improved. Bigly, as Trump would say.
As far as top end goes I was only able to get to 70-72 ish on the speedo given the current weather so I cannot comment on the rev limiter being raised or the top speed.
Upon returning to the garage and shutting it down I noticed that the exhaust was glowing much more than with the Dobeck alone. I was initially running the programmer on level 7 for modes 1,2,3. Modes 4,5,6 were left at the recommended settings of 5, 6.5, and 5 respectively.
Observing the pipe in the dark, the head pipe was glowing a not-so-nice, bright orange. The mid pipe cooled down to a red color at the flange and became a dull red along the upward bend and disappeared approximately 2-3 inches up the slope of the midpipe.
I know my machine ran hotter than others that I have encountered so I will be calling Ryan tomorrow and see what he thinks about adding a little more fuel with the Dobeck.

Why did you leave the Dobeck in? It was my understanding the whole point of the flash is so that you dont need the programmer anymore? I dont see how the programmer could be affecting it negatively but i very well could be wrong. Let me know what Ryan says.

Mine-

2016 Polaris Sportsman 1000 Highlifter
RJWC Exhaust
Dobeck 3.5 Fuel Tuner
RVS Performance ECU flash
Snorkel Kit
KFI Tiger Tail
HD ATV Gear Pinion Plate Upgrade
High Lifter DHT Rear Axles
Uni Air Filter
Rogue Offroad Radiator cover
Dalton Industries Primary Spring
Mictuning 14" LED Light bar

2010 Sportsman 500 H.O.
Snorkeled
Wheel Spacers
4.5" Lift
HMF Swamp Series XL
HMF Jet Kit
KFI 3500 Winch

2016 Polaris 1000 RZR Highlifter

2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel

Wasted Wages SOMD
#wastedwagessomd
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 08:45 AM
ATV Enthusiast

I left it in just in case. And I'm glad I did. I knew that Ryan did not have one of these machines on the dyno yet but I decided to order the stage 2 anyway. I can just add more fuel with the Dobeck until he has a chance to really dyno tune the stage 2 flash.
I just got off the phone with Ryan and he confirmed that it will work like I thought.
Overall the flash is ABSOLUTELY worth it. The stage 2 tune will probably end up adding 10+ rwhp. It also provides the added benefits of removing the limiters and lowering the fan activation temp. You just can't get all that by going a fuel programmer alone.
Order one now so the Fun Police will have another "that's way too fast" quad to complain about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I ordered the stage 3 and am about half way done putting everything back together. You have me wondering if i should leave my Dobeck in as well......

Mine-

RJWC Exhaust
Dobeck 3.5 Fuel Tuner
Snorkel Kit
KFI Tiger Tail
Uni Air Filter

2010 Sportsman 500 H.O.
Snorkeled
Wheel Spacers
4.5" Lift
HMF Swamp Series XL
HMF Jet Kit
KFI 3500 Winch

Wasted Wages SOMD
#wastedwagessomd
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakneck View Post

Just wondering if you ever got a chance to dial yours in? I am going on a trip and dont really have the time to test and tune the dobeck until i can get it back to Ryan for the reflash.

Mine-

RJWC Exhaust
Dobeck 3.5 Fuel Tuner
Snorkel Kit
KFI Tiger Tail
Uni Air Filter

2010 Sportsman 500 H.O.
Snorkeled
Wheel Spacers
4.5" Lift
HMF Swamp Series XL
HMF Jet Kit
KFI 3500 Winch

Wasted Wages SOMD
#wastedwagessomd
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 06:02 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Getting closer to where it needs to be. Will never be perfect without dyno/ AFR gauge. Night time is the best way for me to assess the situation. (glowing of the pipe)
Modes 1,2,3 on the Dobeck at level 5 made a significant difference. I am now at level 5.5 and rode yesterday for about 2.5 hours and all seems to be ok. I will try level 6 tonight and it will probably end up in the 5.5-6 range until Ryan can get some solid data from the dyno.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 07:00 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Bmerwin, let us know if the wheels lift up. I want to buy the tune, but am skeptical now. Tell us if its worth buying now, or shall we wait for any issues to be worked on the tune. I want plug and play tune, because I hate having to figure shit out! Lol
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Scorpion View Post
Bmerwin, let us know if the wheels lift up. I want to buy the tune, but am skeptical now. Tell us if its worth buying now, or shall we wait for any issues to be worked on the tune. I want plug and play tune, because I hate having to figure shit out! Lol
I will set me Dobeck to what breakneck said he is running and go from there. I am going on a trip from the 28th to 1st so i will have plenty of time to test it. When i get back ill be sure to post my thoughts.

Mine-

RJWC Exhaust
Dobeck 3.5 Fuel Tuner
Snorkel Kit
KFI Tiger Tail
Uni Air Filter

2010 Sportsman 500 H.O.
Snorkeled
Wheel Spacers
4.5" Lift
HMF Swamp Series XL
HMF Jet Kit
KFI 3500 Winch

Wasted Wages SOMD
#wastedwagessomd
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 05:01 PM
ATV Enthusiast

bmerwin, it looks like I may keep mine at 5.5 for now. 6 smells a little rich but that is subjective. Dyno/AFR is the only way to tell for sure. You may be fine with settings of 6 since you have a snorkel kit. You will be running richer than stock no matter what so there should not be a problem. I do not think you can add enough fuel with the Dobeck to cause any detrimental issues.
Level 5.5 seems to be acceptable on my machine after a 1 mile ride at 20-25mph at 77 degrees F, followed by visual inspection of the exhaust at idle. The RJWC mid pipe just barely has a hint of red color for approximately 2 inches after the flange. This is substantially less color than the factory head pipe as viewed behind the heat shield just forward of the fender well.

For anyone on the fence, (1911Scorpion) this is not an issue with the tune. Some of us bought levels not dyno tested as of now. Only stage 1 and 1.5 have been dynoed. Stages 2,3, and 3R contain fueling parameters that are theoretical at this point and based on stages 1 and 1.5
I knew all this when purchasing and confirmed that Ryan would reflash for me if and when it was necessary. I just did not want to wait.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:25 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Just got mine back from Ryan also. Went with the stage 2 and set my Doebeck to the diagnostic settings like he told me to. Just running through it. I am running a GSE exhaust and not seeing any glowing pipes yet. Mine seems to stumble a little in the low end also but not enough to mess with. The mid really came alive. Whenever we get a little break in the weather and I can put some more miles on it I will know more. But as far as I can tell, I am completely satisfied with the reflash Ryan did. He did my girlfriends 570 too and man did that thing come alive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode