Predator 500/560 JE Piston - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Predator 500/560 JE Piston

Hi everyone,this is my first post and I have been following the forum for a while now.

Now my problem is this,I know my way around a predator engine but I am currently stuck,I build my son a really nice/fast quad with some mods that I personally did on the bike,engine and suspension,I am currently building a JE 560 BBK for myself,but this kit I bought from another guy that never finished this project before he past away,the Piston is brand new ,the cylinder is already correctly rebore to the size,I installed it and started it no problem,but as soon as the engine starting to heat up I can hear a knocking sound and becomes louder the more it heats up ,I suspect it is coming from the piston kissing the valves as it start to expand, I used the original OEM gasket ,was I suposed to get a thicker gasket with the JE Piston or do you use the Standard gasket?

The only way is to open up and measure or look for contact on the piston and valves,but maybe someone else already had this problem,I don't know if they previous owner decked the cylinder,my son's bike read 850 kPa/123 PSI with the 12,5 to 1 wiseco high compression piston standard 99,2mm bore ,running 95 Unleaded pump gas.

My 560 JE read 995kPa/144 PSI with decompression still installed,which I think is way to high and just for the the record ,I calibrate my compression gauge with a dead weight tester so it is 100%.

I did remove the decom. valve today to rule out noise from there, still the same,rechecked valve clearance ,Inlet:0.15mm ,Outlet :0.27mm, swapped cams with my son's bike ,the head is standard 126,4mm.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 07:00 AM
Supporting Vendor

Just a thought here what is the clearance of the piston to cylinder wall, you may be getting piston slap also has the cylinder been sleeved or is it an aluminum cylinder that has been plated. I ask because sometimes guys will overbore an aluminum cylinder and think it is fine and end up destroying the cylinder as it wasn't plated.

Jeff Meyer
Office : (920)893-5595 ext.351
jmeyer@mt-llc.com
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,I think that is exactly what happened,the cylinder was cracked at 2 places.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode