94 Sportsman 400 Clutch Kit - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Performance Modifications

ATV Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 04:03 PM

Member #94105
94 Sportsman 400 Clutch Kit

I have a 1994 sportsman 400 2-stroke. I am looking to get a bit more power out of it and I have read that some people have installed clutch kits on their Sportsmans with some great results.

The riding I usually do is trail riding in the rocky mountains in Utah. So trails can be a basic dirt road, and 100 yards later, a steep rocky road. So I am looking to increase the lower end power, without giving up too much top end speed.

I cannot seem to find any tech articles about what weight of clutch kit spring(s) to use, whether to change the weights, and or what combo of spring / weight would give me a good power boost.

Any information would be very appreciated.
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 12-12-2016, 02:35 PM

Member #79410
If you google polaris 400 2 stroke performance parts you'll get lots of sites that offer tons of stuff. There are some big bore kits that pump out a crazy amount of power out of these engines.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:45 PM

Member #79410
Some additional information on the 400 before you go throwing good money after bad. Have you checked the compression? The stock piston is a weak point and they break over time. If you're not up around 120-140 psi, ebay has over bore wisco piston kits that make an old engine come alive. Another sore point is the common shaft for counter balancer and water pump. If your counter balancer oil is milky, it means the coolant has leaked past both the water pump seal and the counter balancer oil seal. This can be a significant problem as the shaft gets pitted and makes a new seal near impossible. I had to send mine out to have a new stainless steel sleeve pressed on. Based on the age of yours, If the rest of the machine is in good shape and you're mechanically inclined with some tools, get on Amazon and order an All Balls rebuild kit which includes all bearings and seals for the crank and water pump. Tear it apart and rebuild. I did my complete engine and it keeps up with my 04 700 no problem now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Performance Modifications