More from my Highlifter 1000 - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

More from my Highlifter 1000

This thing is a beast but like everyone else, I want more. I really want this thing to be able to power wheelie. I like the GSE muffler but they don't make one for the Highlifter. I read more than once that RVS is the place for tuning but what else do you 1000cc owners think? What's some of the better; or not so good, mods you've tried?

2016 High Lifter 1000 - GSE muffler and intake
2006 Raptor 700 - Stage 3 cam, intake, exhaust, tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:04 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

I did a QSC clutch kit on both my 850 and my 1k and was the best bang for your buck for sure. I'm plum happy with the 850 because the gf rides it most of the time and I have it setup for plowing snow in the winter so no big deal. Now my 1k is my then likely going to get the tune but I'm waiting till spring because here in MT we are in the middle of a very harsh winter with lots of snow so I wouldn't be able to tell the real gain anyway. Not sure on the clutching on your HL but maybe get ahold Ryan and see what he says.

2015 polaris sportsman 1000, fender flares, front and rear Polaris bumpers powder coated red, lock and ride front box and ogio rear, hand warmers and thumb warmer, winch, mid-smoke windshield, QSC clutch kit, and plow mount, and polaris tracks.
2013 Polaris 850xp (blue fire)
26" Bighorns, fender flares, front cargo box, QSC clutch kit, Polaris 2500 winch with remote, synthic rope and aluminum fairlead, Polaris windshield , heated grips and thumb warmer, NGK plugs, powder coated front and rear Polaris bumpers, kolpin lock and ride gun boot, Polaris tracks for winter time in MT.
2016 Ski Doo 800 etec T3 154"
2016 Polaris 170 Razor
been riding since I was 8 and been through over 30 machines I'm now 35 and loving life more then ever!!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:40 AM

Small mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
This thing is a beast but like everyone else, I want more. I really want this thing to be able to power wheelie. I like the GSE muffler but they don't make one for the Highlifter. I read more than once that RVS is the place for tuning but what else do you 1000cc owners think? What's some of the better; or not so good, mods you've tried?
RJWC makes a really really nice muffler for your Highlifter 1000, I have one and I purchased from Birdsong, he is on the forums here, a great guy to do business with. Fit and finish is 2nd to none and comes with everything you need for the Highlifter install. I also did a few other things aswell, K&N high performance filter and sock, Custom tune on Gen4 with O2 sensor for 1000 Highlifter for a perfect air/fuel mixture, my Gen4 is the first highlifter they did, another great company Dobeck and the engineers wrote a new program for me and that was really cool, only other thing i wanted to do was have the fans reprogrammed to kick in at a lower temp, and maybe the rev limit to 8500, along with some better clutch springs, and Ill leave it alone and enjoy the beast... oh yeah, My kids got me new rims and tires for Xmas so we could trail ride instead of using the outlaw 2 tires that are mud only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

You need to reclutch. Call ryan at RVS he will hook you up. Even those highlifters are clutched soft down low. The folks over on Dirt Trax youtube channel talked about the same thing how it was clutched too soft down low......that was their one and only complaint. My 850 was the same way.

PS I had an RVS tune on my Ranger and clutching to match it, you will need to run 91 octane which may or may not be a big deal. I'd clutch it first that will be the best bang for the buck IMO

Josh "FUSE"

2017 Sportsman XP LE 1000 Matte Copper
-Polaris F&R Ultimate Brush Guards, Polaris Winch

2015 Sportsman 570 SP LE Black Pearl
-Polaris F&R Brush Guards, Polaris Winch

2014 Ranger 900 XP LE Deluxe Nuclear Sunset Orange
-Lots of Mods/Accessories

1989 Yamaha 350 Big Bear 4x4 - all original
Past ATV's, All Great Machines
2014 Sportsman 850 LE Pearl White
2013 RZR 800 LE Nuclear Sunset
2013 Sportsman 500 HO Bright White
-july 2014 atv of the month
2008 Sportsman 300awd LE Pearl White
1995 Xplorer 400 Green
1992 Honda Fourtrax 300 Blue
1986 Yamaha Moto4 225 Blue
1986 Honda Fourtrax 350 Red
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Those are great ideas. I watched that same YouTube video. The RVS ECM reflash is way too expensive. Almost $500 for 6 or 7 hp. That's not even a 10% increase and it would definitely void my 5 year warranty. I may do the clutching since it's a simple process.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Those are great ideas. I watched that same YouTube video. The RVS ECM reflash is way too expensive. Almost $500 for 6 or 7 hp. That's not even a 10% increase and it would definitely void my 5 year warranty. I may do the clutching since it's a simple process.
You are forgetting that's 7 hp on a 89hp machine. Also it removes the torque limiters. I wouldn't be so quick to put down a tune that you obviously haven't tried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Not putting it down. Just think it's too expensive. It's just an opinion. Even at 7HP it's not a ten percent gain

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:01 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Quote:
Not putting it down. Just think it's too expensive. It's just an opinion. Even at 7HP it's not a ten percent gain
Ok people spend much more to make less than 10 percent on vehicles every day. I mean what do you think a good price and hp gain? 35 bucks and 25hp? Time is money and you don't see anyone else with a tune let alone one that adds 7 hp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I think it's too much period. Just because a lot of people do something often doesn't make it worthwhile. Fact is there is only one guy out there with the reflash so he can charge whatever he wants. It probably works really well. Just more than I want to spend. I didn't start this to debate this reflash. I'm looking for the things to upgrade. I read the a arm bushings fail quickly. I want to upgrade them. I'll probably buy better brake pads when it needs them. I REALLY like upgrades on wear items. It's a much more justifiable expense

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

I second the tune, just thought I'd get that out there. It's roughly $80/hp gained. Those are actually really good numbers!
Perspective broadens opinions, hear me out.
You see a lot of guys spending $400-$1000 for a good intake on a sports car, you're never going to get a 10% or even a 5% hp gain on a naturally aspirated car from an intake. You may see 5hp out of it realistically when all the gear heads listen to reason.
A 5% hp gain on an atv is huge!
The warranty is an issue however.

2015 Polaris Scrambler XP1000
Red Bull Graphics Kit
Pure Polaris Hand Warmers
Pure Polaris Thumb Warmer
GBC Grim Reaper - 27/9/14 - 27/11/14
Race Driven Brake Pads FR/RR - PURE JUNK
All Balls Wheel Bearings FR/RR
ROX Speed FX Foot Pegs
CECCO Frame Braces FR/RR
CECCO Diff Cover
Uni Air Filter
EPI Clutch
Big Gun Exhaust
Fasst Flexx Handlebars
ROX 2" Risers
Powermadd Sentenial Handguards
Renthal G169 Grips

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode