Polaris ATV Forum banner

Add power steering to 2002 Sportsman?

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Centexguy 
#1 ·
My father in law had a terrible accident a few years back getting hit by a car while riding an ATV. His recovery has been outstanding, but not to 100%. Does anyone know of a mod that lets you put power steering on an older unit like a 2002 Sportsman? It really would make his atv riding experience these days so much better!

#2 ·
I don't know of a kit that would work, and if there was one, it would likely be expensive. Anything is possible with enough money, but even the parts alone would likely run over $1000 not counting the time or labor for the custom fab job.

I think your better bet would be to sell this machine for as much as you can, take that money and add it to the money you would have spent for a power steering set up, and now you're in the ballpark to buy a 550XP with factory installed power steering. Plus the suspension and ride will be 10 folds better then the 2002.

That's my opinion. Sorry I can't be of more help. I've just never seen a "kit", probably because there are so man variables. Sorry to hear about his accident! Glad he's still around and riding. Hope he continues to get better.

#3 ·
Thanks for the kind words and info, blueline. He just mentioned to me the other day as we were working on his ATV that he'd love power steering since it's getting tough for him to steer his 600. I couldn't find any kits online either, so looks like finding a used 550 would be the solution. Not the cheapest option but maybe the only option! Thanks again for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.