Handy battery terminal access - Page 2 - Polaris ATV Forum
Polaris ATV Forum
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Performance Modifications

ATV Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2016, 01:22 PM

Member #47143
Looks awesome Bullseyeguy, thats exactly what I want to do, but I'm going to use a remote battery terminal only because I use a NOCO Genius Battery Pack/Booster. Thank you for posting this
Sponsored Links
PolarisATVForums is the premier Polaris ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, So Register, It's Free!
Old 02-23-2016, 12:59 PM

Member #65218
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyeguy View Post
Hi Guys.
Kinda new to the forum, but a while back I asked you guys a million questions after I bought a new 2015 570SP.
One of the questions that I had, and one of my minor complaints was regarding the location of the battery...down underneath and in front of the engine. It's really hard to get to, and a serious pain to access for things like jumper cables, and my Battery Tender.
I put a plow on mine to remove snow this winter, but I still don't run it enough to keep the battery charged, so I wanted to plug in the battery tender, but not go through all of the trouble of removing the battery for storage.
After whining about the battery location in a post, someone replied with pictures of his machine that included a quick connect plug in for the battery terminals....so...I stole this idea from him. (This guy had his machine all tricked out for ice fishing I think...pretty cool setup).

Anyways, I thought you guys might be interested in what I did. I bought some heavy duty quick connect two pole plugs, and made a remote access point inside the front luggage compartment. I put a similar plug on my jumper cables, and on my Battery Tender. Now, all I have to do when I need to charge or jump will be to open the front compartment, and the plug is right there and easy to get to....no lying on the ground or removing the battery cover.

I don't really know how to load the pictures so that I can write captions....but I included a couple pics anyways....in case anyone wanted to have a look.

I ran out of the plugs, but later I will use one as a cap so that the open ends aren't exposed inside the compartment.
All I did was to use some 6 gauge wire to make the connections directly to the battery. After figuring out how long to make the wires, I cut them and soldered battery terminal lugs onto one end, and the Anderson plug lugs onto the other. The part that took the most time was trying to get the wires to the battery so that they were out of the way. I drilled a couple holes where I wanted to mount the plug, and secured it with a couple of 6-32 screws. The lugs for the plug itself just snap into the plug, and the plugs easily snap into each other.
Connected the wires to the battery, sealed the holes with a little silicone sealer and I've got it trickle charging on the battery tender right now to keep it fresh.

Now....just waiting for spring!
I had the same problem. I often have to jump it for lack of use. It is not always near power to maintain it.

Here is what I did.

Since my Polaris 500HO came with a pre installed Winch cable from the Batt, I had an extra home run cable from my superwinch kit. I used it to create a hot terminal in the storage tray like yourself. I used remote battery terminal block with caps. I ground to frame.

For Tender I used the pigtail that came with it.

But I like yours as well.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:11 PM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #54922
Thanks to all who responded.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:29 AM

Member #96649
So--simplification repeated: I have 570sp Ace Sportsman--battery is to left of seat--requires removal of seat and plastic side panel (with cup holder) but it is still hard to access terminals with typical charger clamps. Your (collectively) solution is to wire permanently to terminals and bring up with insulation for easier access to charger clamps? Are there longer clips to attach to charger and then to battery terminals which would obviate the need for wires?

Thanks....what's so great about 'standing up to pee' anyway?
Old 12-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Extreme ATV Enthusiast

Member #43157
Easier to write your name in the snow without hopping around!
2007 Sportsman 800
2011 Sportsman 850 X2
2015 Sportsman 1000XP
Old 12-19-2016, 05:49 AM
ATV Enthusiast

Member #54922
Hello MsJoe,

I used a connector at the end of the leads that terminated in the front compartment. I simply made a lead that used the same connector to my battery tender, and I also removed the clamps and did the same thing with a set of jumper cables. Now I just plug the connector in, and I am connected to the proper leads on the battery.
Not sure if it would help you that much. My battery is underneath, and a bitch to get to if you needed to access the terminals.

Cheers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Performance Modifications

Search tags for this page

remote jumper terminals for atv

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.