Handy battery terminal access - Polaris ATV Forum
ATV Performance Modifications Have Modifications? Want to ask about a mod? Having problems with a certain mod? Ask and post here! Carbs, Exhausts, Engines, Etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Handy battery terminal access

Hi Guys.
Kinda new to the forum, but a while back I asked you guys a million questions after I bought a new 2015 570SP.
One of the questions that I had, and one of my minor complaints was regarding the location of the battery...down underneath and in front of the engine. It's really hard to get to, and a serious pain to access for things like jumper cables, and my Battery Tender.
I put a plow on mine to remove snow this winter, but I still don't run it enough to keep the battery charged, so I wanted to plug in the battery tender, but not go through all of the trouble of removing the battery for storage.
After whining about the battery location in a post, someone replied with pictures of his machine that included a quick connect plug in for the battery terminals....so...I stole this idea from him. (This guy had his machine all tricked out for ice fishing I think...pretty cool setup).

Anyways, I thought you guys might be interested in what I did. I bought some heavy duty quick connect two pole plugs, and made a remote access point inside the front luggage compartment. I put a similar plug on my jumper cables, and on my Battery Tender. Now, all I have to do when I need to charge or jump will be to open the front compartment, and the plug is right there and easy to get to....no lying on the ground or removing the battery cover.

I don't really know how to load the pictures so that I can write captions....but I included a couple pics anyways....in case anyone wanted to have a look.

I ran out of the plugs, but later I will use one as a cap so that the open ends aren't exposed inside the compartment.
All I did was to use some 6 gauge wire to make the connections directly to the battery. After figuring out how long to make the wires, I cut them and soldered battery terminal lugs onto one end, and the Anderson plug lugs onto the other. The part that took the most time was trying to get the wires to the battery so that they were out of the way. I drilled a couple holes where I wanted to mount the plug, and secured it with a couple of 6-32 screws. The lugs for the plug itself just snap into the plug, and the plugs easily snap into each other.
Connected the wires to the battery, sealed the holes with a little silicone sealer and I've got it trickle charging on the battery tender right now to keep it fresh.

Now....just waiting for spring!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front compartment with holes installed.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	29994   Click image for larger version

Name:	holes close up.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	543.6 KB
ID:	30002   Click image for larger version

Name:	wires ready to snap into anderson plug.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	30010   Click image for larger version

Name:	installed plug in front luggage compartment.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	30018   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery tender.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	30034  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Oh yeah... I almost forgot about this. While I was unhooking the battery, I saw this on the fender.

This is going to take some of the fun out of it!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no alcohol.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	30042  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Banned

Great set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 07:35 AM
Polaris ATV Legend

Nicely done bullseyeguy! And great write-up too. I may try something similar on my sporties for ez'r tender hookups (without removing my seats in my case).

1998 Sportsman 500 - 4725 miles
Front/Rear 18W-4 inch solid metal CREE LED Floods
Polaris 8" Rear Rack Extender
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
12.5" Kenda BearClaws on rears
2010 Sportsman 500 HO - 1362 miles 182hrs
Front/Rear 18W-4 inch solid metal CREE LED Floods
Tamarack 10" Footpegs
Polaris Front brush guard - bumper
ODI Rogue 130mm grips
Wants BearClaw HTRs for Christmas!

OPT is here: http://atvconnection.com/forums/pola...vs-ask-expert/

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 01:57 PM
Polaris ATV Legend

Very slick.......

2012 550 EPS LE, Blue Fire
Cecco frame braces
JCCapri bushing kit
Maxxis BigHorns
Ricochet skid plates (full kit)
Polaris rear rack extender
Polaris front brush guard
Warn ProVantage 2.5k winch
AmSteel Blue synthetic winch rope
Custom billet hawse fairlead
Denali 60" mid mount plow
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 04:30 PM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Looks nice, but dang brother, talk about overkill. You honestly could've just gotten away with some 12/10ga wire and a 2 prong weather pack, or just made an extention with the factory wiring that comes with the tender

Anybody else wanting to do this you can stop by a trailer repair store or hit amazon, they sell electric trailer brake wiring, it's 2- 10ga-14ga wires (depending what you want) in a single HD plastic sleeve (anybody that's worked on trailer brakes knows the gray shielding I'm talking about) and it's pretty cheap, I just buy 50' spools to keep on hand since it's handy for doing hot/ground circuits.
Here's a quick example I just found
Electric Brakes Wire Duplex 14ga Per-ft- 62143 | Electric Brake Wiring & Battery | Alpine Ind | TrailerPartsDepot.com

I just use the 2 prong plug that comes with the tender and then install same plug end on accessories so I can just plug stuff in as it's already a fused link direct to battery, worked great for the sprayer last yr for example, and cheap too.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

Not really

Thanks, but I can't jump start it with that. Part of the problem that I wanted to solve was creating an easy place to hook up jumper cables since the machine only has E start. ...otherwise, yeah, I would have just taken 12 ga wire off of the block.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 06:13 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Well for future reference, most 12v chargers have selectors for
2amp, 10/12/15 amp, then a 50 or 100 amp engine start

12/10ga wire will handle everything but the 50/100amp, and these aren't 8 cylinder beasts with alot of compression requiring massive starter loads to spin over. Even with a dead dead battery, a few minutes on a 12/15amp charger and it'll turn over like a new one, then just have to figure out why battery shit the bed to begin with or replace it.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
ATV Enthusiast

I don't know if mine does or not, but I would have to take a really long extension cord with me if I am out riding.

But you are right...I AM all about overkill!

(I liked the "Dang Brother!!" I can picture a buddy of mine with a funny look on his face telling me that too!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 06:42 AM
Polaris ATV Junkie!

Oh yeah, it was meant exactly like that...kinda like seeing a hot chick that stands up to pee, like daaaang!! Lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris ATV Forum > Polaris ATV Technical Discussions > ATV Performance Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode