Polaris ATV Forum banner

Bigger tires? Axles breaking? Warning from dealer? What should I do?

14K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  gearheadesw1 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,
I recently was in my polaris dealer showroom and saw some sweet 29.5" Anarchy (I think) tires mounted on matte black Polaris rims, they looked so sweet, so I inquired about price and he was gonna give me a sweet deal on the set but then proceeded to ask what machine I had and then said to not even bother because I'll snap my axles???? I'm new to aftermarket atv parts and big tires and am wondering what I can (should) do before I mount big tires on my '11 Sportsman 850. What are the best aftermarket axles (for the price) and what other mods should I make. And/or is it even worth it?
I know guys who run 29.5s on stock Canams with out much issue.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. I really would like some big tires eventually but sounds like I should start somewhere else first.
The guy that I talked to at the dealership always is honest with me and always gives me deals.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
You can run anything you want on stock, but eventually it will go due to rotational forces. Basically the force exerted by the larger tires will be too much for it to handle. When will it go, who knows. Tomorrow or two years is the question. Most likely when in a mud hole. For axles, Voodoo is a solid choice. Forget Gorilla, quality has gone way down (friends opinions). Not positive, but am thinking you will need a lift kit with those wheels as well.

#3 ·
Anyway what should I do?
The guy that I talked to at the dealership always is honest with me
Probably listen to the guy at the dealership.

#4 ·
Start with this Polaris Scrambler 850 and 1000 billet pinion cover ? HD ATV Gear
29.5s will still rub a bit even with HD springs, you will have to max your preloads for sure.
Next get some Rhino front axles from superatv($200) Usually its the fronts crapping out, If you have a heavy thumb do all 4.
Don't skimp out on a clutch kit either, call Ryan at RVSperformance.

#5 ·
Will that pinion cover fit my 2011 850? I don't see that year listed.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Great thanks! So the adc system is the issue on the front diffs?

#10 ·
i am running 30 inch zillas on 14 inch rims on my 2009 800 Sportsman - granted i have a Dalton clutch and a 2 inch highlifter kit. I have run about 500km n o axles issues but I think it depends on how you drive it. don't goose it at the bottom of a hill whemn pulling up if you are stuck in deep snow or a boulder or root use the winch.

#13 ·
So will changing this pinion cover help with what my dealer warned me about or should I still look at replacing axles.

#14 ·
I would atleast do the front's.

#15 ·
You should figure out what you want to do and then go from there. If you are going to get a lift, you will waste your money on axles now. Figure out your end game and go from there and decide if its what you want. Do you want 30's on a 4" lift for mudding, or a fast trail runner or etc.... I personally have wasted too much money replacing a replacement because I changed my mind and didn't think of where I really wanted to end up. I am sure I am not alone on this one! Not sure if you ever modded a vehicle, but it quickly becomes a money pit. I think I have more after market parts in my Jeep than original at this point.

#18 ·
My plan is not to go all out mud machine, I want something I can play in the mud and hit the trails too, I mainly do trails but come across some mud and water holes that need my attention ?

#16 ·
Its easy to install.
Drain front diff - pound out roll pin - remove 4 cover screws - cut adc wires - remove old cover and swap over the output shaft and o ring to new cover.
Takes a hammer, punch and an allen key.

I would still recommend front axles, its no fun holding back.

#17 ·
I am ordering the pinion cover asap, I was noticing my front axles feel a little loose in the front where they connect to the diff does that mean they are wearing out? The rears are solid. I noticed it last night and my dad's 550 axles are solid as a rock.

#19 ·
Over time those axles get a little play in them on the inboard side!

#20 ·
The bushings get slack for sure they are only cheap plastic -

#21 ·
Excuse my ignorance, but can those axle bushings be replaced or should I just swap to aftermarket right away?

#23 ·
Correct - but quite often thats what gives you wiggle and unstability - they are a cheap fix

#25 ·
DK Offroad out of Edmonton Alberta also has some nice urethane bushings complete kits for XP's. I ride trails mud trails and bush roads with my bike, 30" STI Outback Max tires on stock rims 2" lift smooth rolling tire for how aggressive they are.

#26 ·
My boss rides mud all the time and swears by his 29.5" Outlaws. He says "Best mud tire ever", he's tried silverbacks and "garbage".
He doesn't think there is any need to run anything but Outlaws. Anyone here have Outlaws? how are they on everything? Trail, mud, snow?

#27 ·
They are awesome in the mud, and soso everywhere else. They spin a lot as only the lug tips in the middle bite into the ground/snow. They also have a reputation for shitty beads, mine included. I blew the bead off a rear running 6psi, so I gotta run 10 now, but they all slow leak.
After having terminators I'm not sure the slight edge in mud performance is worth the negatives on other terrain.
I plan to ditch my 31laws (29 at best) for some 32s.

#29 ·
Sorry I meant 32s of a different brand like outback max's or sludgehammers.
Quite a few members on here run mayhems with positive reviews.

#30 ·
Well I ordered 29.5" Outlaw 2s directly from Polaris. $346 per tire but they gave them to me for $300 per tire. With tax total was $1,320. That is the cheapest I can find them in Canada or at least around here. I'm not sure what happened but a couple years ago you could buy them here at our Canam dealer for like $250 per tire. Now at that same dealer they are $500 per tire! Crazy!

#33 ·
Yup we get hosed for sure, when I wanted my 31s no one in the states had them in stock, so I went through the dealer and paid the same as you.
Looking at rocky mountain, I can get rims and tires mounted for the same price.

#31 ·
What people may not realize with heavy oversize tires all around, you hardly ever need 4x4 anymore. I put 30" Mudzillas on my Arctic Cat about 2,000 miles ago. Heavy deep lugged tires, all my friends said, the axles would snap like twigs, ha, ha, nope. Hell rarely need 4wd anymore, plus I put carbide studs in for the ice. Only need 4x4 plowing deep snow, once in a while on ice. My stock AC axles have 6,700 miles, if one breaks, then I'll replace.

#32 ·
Makes me feel better! Thanks!

#34 ·
Well got them installed! Man do they ever dig!

#35 ·
#37 ·
That is pretty good! I got the exact tires for $300 each but no rims.

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.